I'm getting the shaft.... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm getting the shaft....

1964 Sprint GT everything that moves in the suspension replaced and/or upgraded poly etc, harmonic vibration in drive train isolated to drive shaft, do I repair and re balance or go for this (i keep all the old parts)

https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105...shaft-section/

Any feedback will be appreciated..

Last edited by Tom Frasca; 10-01-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:05 AM

Thats pretty simple actually.
This one is different in outlook from your 64 shaft. So, are you a purist or anorak or do you just want it te work as designed ?
You could have yours rebalanced and the UJs replaced. Try that first. If you are happy. Fine. If not replace by this one.
Beware, you hasve the old style, thin shaft with two UJs both with grease nipples , and the 8mm bolts. Later style has no grease nipples and 9 mm bolts.
Check out with Jim at AH before ordering.
Tom Frasca likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlinista View Post
Thats pretty simple actually.
This one is different in outlook from your 64 shaft. So, are you a purist or anorak or do you just want it te work as designed ?
You could have yours rebalanced and the UJs replaced. Try that first. If you are happy. Fine. If not replace by this one.
Beware, you hasve the old style, thin shaft with two UJs both with grease nipples , and the 8mm bolts. Later style has no grease nipples and 9 mm bolts.
Check out with Jim at AH before ordering.
JIM IS A GOOD MAN...$ 80 USD parts, labor $165 ( WITH RE BALANCE) and there is still a problem ??? As I mentioned I will keep all parts as we are custodians of these wonderful early cars ... that said am leaning toward the new AH drive shaft...but still would like to know others experience... Thanks
sbadaro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 05:31 PM

Garage
Agreed, Jim is a very, good man.

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:04 PM
Gold Subscriber

if you remove the old shaft you can examine the sliding section, if it is worn you'll need to replace, otherwise new u-joints and a balance along with new center support would be the way to go. Hope you don't have poly-bush in the trans mount, they cause vibration

current:
84 Spider Veloce
ex:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

solve problems, learn something new!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 12:24 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Was the harmonic vibration there before any poly bushes were installed?

If not I'd blame them.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Was the harmonic vibration there before any poly bushes were installed?

If not I'd blame them.
Pete
I am unfamiliar with a poly bushing ... the one part of the car that was left alone was the driveshaft, as the "doughnut" and carrier seemed to be in very good shape... I did grease all the u-joint fittings...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:40 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post
I am unfamiliar with a poly bushing ... the one part of the car that was left alone was the driveshaft, as the "doughnut" and carrier seemed to be in very good shape... I did grease all the u-joint fittings...
If you have a driveline vibration and replace any of the rear suspension bushes with poly instead of the originally specified rubber the vibration is transferred to the body shell and you feel it. Rubber is far superior at isolating vibrations.

Also the same happens if you replace the gearbox mount with poly or stiffer rubber.

So if you are unable to find the source of your driveline vibration and have installed poly (rear) suspension/mount bushes, replace them with rubber first to see if the vibration reduces/goes away.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
If you have a driveline vibration and replace any of the rear suspension bushes with poly instead of the originally specified rubber the vibration is transferred to the body shell and you feel it. Rubber is far superior at isolating vibrations.

Also the same happens if you replace the gearbox mount with poly or stiffer rubber.

So if you are unable to find the source of your driveline vibration and have installed poly (rear) suspension/mount bushes, replace them with rubber first to see if the vibration reduces/goes away.
Pete
Thanks Pete....The trailing arms are all rubber did replace thrust washers with poly the center drive shaft support is rubber...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 07:54 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Tom, for what it is worth, I had a very similar issue with my '67 Super. I had the drive shaft balanced several times locally and still had the vibration. Finally took it to an old friend across the state that rebuilds drive shafts on commercial trucks. He called me shortly after I left and said "**** thing is bent, you can't balance a bent shaft" He then straightened it, balanced it, and it was perfect after that.
Good luck, Mike
PSk likes this.

Mike Macaulay
Seattle

69 Spider
69 GTV
74 GTV
84 Spider Veloce
18 4C Spider
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintgtc View Post
Tom, for what it is worth, I had a very similar issue with my '67 Super. I had the drive shaft balanced several times locally and still had the vibration. Finally took it to an old friend across the state that rebuilds drive shafts on commercial trucks. He called me shortly after I left and said "**** thing is bent, you can't balance a bent shaft" He then straightened it, balanced it, and it was perfect after that.
Good luck, Mike
Wish I could find someone around Nebraska to do that. Only two truck places in the state that do it and they don't have the proper hardware to match either end of the two piece shaft.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Good luck, Mike
Was your chassis hit how did the drive shaft "bend"... some darn heavy gauge metal ....???
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 07:42 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post
Was your chassis hit how did the drive shaft "bend"... some darn heavy gauge metal ....???
No, I bought the car disassembled. The car was apart for several years and I believe the drive shaft was dropped at some point.

Mike Macaulay
Seattle

69 Spider
69 GTV
74 GTV
84 Spider Veloce
18 4C Spider
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
No, I bought the car disassembled. The car was apart for several years and I believe the drive shaft was dropped at some point.
Mike I ment to respond ...bent DS never occurred to me so that will be the first thing we check before repairs, Thanks

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 06:43 PM

XXX

Last edited by mygtveloce; 02-22-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode