Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   GT (1963-1977) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/)
-   -   I'm getting the shaft.... (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/612537-im-getting-shaft.html)

Tom Frasca 10-01-2017 08:15 PM

I'm getting the shaft....

1964 Sprint GT everything that moves in the suspension replaced and/or upgraded poly etc, harmonic vibration in drive train isolated to drive shaft, do I repair and re balance or go for this (i keep all the old parts)

https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105...shaft-section/

Any feedback will be appreciated..

Berlinista 10-02-2017 06:05 AM

Thats pretty simple actually.
This one is different in outlook from your 64 shaft. So, are you a purist or anorak or do you just want it te work as designed ?
You could have yours rebalanced and the UJs replaced. Try that first. If you are happy. Fine. If not replace by this one.
Beware, you hasve the old style, thin shaft with two UJs both with grease nipples , and the 8mm bolts. Later style has no grease nipples and 9 mm bolts.
Check out with Jim at AH before ordering.

Tom Frasca 10-02-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlinista (Post 7845705)
Thats pretty simple actually.
This one is different in outlook from your 64 shaft. So, are you a purist or anorak or do you just want it te work as designed ?
You could have yours rebalanced and the UJs replaced. Try that first. If you are happy. Fine. If not replace by this one.
Beware, you hasve the old style, thin shaft with two UJs both with grease nipples , and the 8mm bolts. Later style has no grease nipples and 9 mm bolts.
Check out with Jim at AH before ordering.

JIM IS A GOOD MAN...$ 80 USD parts, labor $165 ( WITH RE BALANCE) and there is still a problem ??? As I mentioned I will keep all parts as we are custodians of these wonderful early cars ... that said am leaning toward the new AH drive shaft...but still would like to know others experience... Thanks

Yachtman 10-02-2017 05:31 PM

Agreed, Jim is a very, good man.

rogerspeed 10-02-2017 06:04 PM

if you remove the old shaft you can examine the sliding section, if it is worn you'll need to replace, otherwise new u-joints and a balance along with new center support would be the way to go. Hope you don't have poly-bush in the trans mount, they cause vibration

PSk 10-03-2017 12:24 AM

Was the harmonic vibration there before any poly bushes were installed?

If not I'd blame them.
Pete

Tom Frasca 10-03-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSk (Post 7847081)
Was the harmonic vibration there before any poly bushes were installed?

If not I'd blame them.
Pete

I am unfamiliar with a poly bushing ... the one part of the car that was left alone was the driveshaft, as the "doughnut" and carrier seemed to be in very good shape... I did grease all the u-joint fittings...

PSk 10-04-2017 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Frasca (Post 7847897)
I am unfamiliar with a poly bushing ... the one part of the car that was left alone was the driveshaft, as the "doughnut" and carrier seemed to be in very good shape... I did grease all the u-joint fittings...

If you have a driveline vibration and replace any of the rear suspension bushes with poly instead of the originally specified rubber the vibration is transferred to the body shell and you feel it. Rubber is far superior at isolating vibrations.

Also the same happens if you replace the gearbox mount with poly or stiffer rubber.

So if you are unable to find the source of your driveline vibration and have installed poly (rear) suspension/mount bushes, replace them with rubber first to see if the vibration reduces/goes away.
Pete

Tom Frasca 10-04-2017 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSk (Post 7848785)
If you have a driveline vibration and replace any of the rear suspension bushes with poly instead of the originally specified rubber the vibration is transferred to the body shell and you feel it. Rubber is far superior at isolating vibrations.

Also the same happens if you replace the gearbox mount with poly or stiffer rubber.

So if you are unable to find the source of your driveline vibration and have installed poly (rear) suspension/mount bushes, replace them with rubber first to see if the vibration reduces/goes away.
Pete

Thanks Pete....The trailing arms are all rubber did replace thrust washers with poly the center drive shaft support is rubber...

sprintgtc 10-04-2017 07:54 AM

Tom, for what it is worth, I had a very similar issue with my '67 Super. I had the drive shaft balanced several times locally and still had the vibration. Finally took it to an old friend across the state that rebuilds drive shafts on commercial trucks. He called me shortly after I left and said "**** thing is bent, you can't balance a bent shaft" He then straightened it, balanced it, and it was perfect after that.
Good luck, Mike

dlbehrns 10-04-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintgtc (Post 7849281)
Tom, for what it is worth, I had a very similar issue with my '67 Super. I had the drive shaft balanced several times locally and still had the vibration. Finally took it to an old friend across the state that rebuilds drive shafts on commercial trucks. He called me shortly after I left and said "**** thing is bent, you can't balance a bent shaft" He then straightened it, balanced it, and it was perfect after that.
Good luck, Mike

Wish I could find someone around Nebraska to do that. Only two truck places in the state that do it and they don't have the proper hardware to match either end of the two piece shaft.

Tom Frasca 10-04-2017 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintgtc (Post 7849281)
Good luck, Mike

Was your chassis hit how did the drive shaft "bend"... some darn heavy gauge metal ....???

sprintgtc 10-05-2017 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Frasca (Post 7850369)
Was your chassis hit how did the drive shaft "bend"... some darn heavy gauge metal ....???

No, I bought the car disassembled. The car was apart for several years and I believe the drive shaft was dropped at some point.

Tom Frasca 10-26-2017 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintgtc (Post 7850929)
No, I bought the car disassembled. The car was apart for several years and I believe the drive shaft was dropped at some point.

Mike I ment to respond ...bent DS never occurred to me so that will be the first thing we check before repairs, Thanks

mygtveloce 10-26-2017 06:43 PM

XXX