I'm getting the shaft.... - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks I will order the part.. why not it will be fractional cost..thanks again.

Tom

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 11:00 PM

XXX

Last edited by mygtveloce; 02-22-2019 at 03:19 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 06:24 PM

I'm bringing up this thread again because I can't find the thread that talked about pulling the top hat bushing and building up the output shaft "olive."
I have found that there is shallow groove that has worn into one side of the top hat bushing. I have a new one and would appreciate advice of removing the old one or, a link to the thread I can't find that talks about the issue. I've Searched but can't find what I'm looking for.
There appears to be uneven wear on the olive and I will mic that to see just how uneven it is. Next question is, what should the olive measure?
One of our pals at Centerline talked about using a Loctite product to take up the "gap." Doesn't seem logical but I would be open to hearing about that if anyone has been down that road. I really don't want to pull the transmission, then the output shaft to have the olive built up and machined if what I have is within livable tolerances. TIA, DB

Last edited by dlbehrns; 11-20-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 12:30 PM

bump {;o)
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 08:56 AM

I'm an idiot never mind.

Last edited by dlbehrns; 11-21-2017 at 01:08 PM.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 08:42 AM

Here's the latest on getting the shaft. Given that the inside diameter of the top hat bushing is 18mm or .708" my olive measured in three different spots came to .692, .700 and .6935. Per Wes I the outside diameter of the olive should be .705-.707. I'd say that puppy is a bit worn. Now, the million dollar question is: what is an acceptable tolerance or what can I live with? I am going to have the driveshaft balanced to eliminate that part of the equation, then drive the car to see if any vibration is there or, can I live with it as it is. It took 90K miles to wear off .014" on the worst point on the olive so.....Interestingly enough, the groove in the bushing was only on one spot. It didn't wear the entire diameter of the bushing. I would be open to some feedback...TIA DB and Happy Thanks Giving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode