• 1 Post By Raimondo
  • 3 Post By MIaGiulia
  • 1 Post By MIaGiulia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Lusting horribly after a Stepnose

OK, I admit it. I love my 1964 Giulia Spider Abnormale, but I would love to have any Alfa Stepnose coupe.

Is there a chart, list or anything that differentiates between the various configurations and traces these beauties from their launch to the end of their production? And what is the difference between the GT, GTV and Junior series?

Forty years ago I lived just outside of Rome proper in Vitinia and I would drive into Rome past an AGIP gas station where a dusty, gold-colored Stepnose, of some configuration, was parked under the AGIP six-legged, fire-breathing Lion sign. In all the years I lived there, the Stepnose never moved. If only I knew then what i know now.

Is there any hope for me?

Ray

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
OK, I admit it. I love my 1964 Giulia Spider Abnormale, but I would love to have any Alfa Stepnose coupe.

Is there a chart, list or anything that differentiates between the various configurations and traces these beauties from their launch to the end of their production? And what is the difference between the GT, GTV and Junior series?

Forty years ago I lived just outside of Rome proper in Vitinia and I would drive into Rome past an AGIP gas station where a dusty, gold-colored Stepnose, of some configuration, was parked under the AGIP six-legged, fire-breathing Lion sign. In all the years I lived there, the Stepnose never moved. If only I knew then what i know now.

Ray
Ray, you have forgotten the GTA Stradale, GTA Corsa, GTAj Stradale and the GTAj Autodelta Wide Body.

And have a look at Google Maps Satellite View as maybe that stepnose of your dreams is still under the Lion.

Ciao

Ken
LaurandSteve likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 06:49 AM

Garage
I'll swap you my GTjunior (not a step nose) for your giulia spider ��

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 10:15 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
When people ask that question, I always point them to Joe Benson's "Alfa Romeo Buyers Guide":

For a book specifically on the 105/115 GT's, see "The Cars That Made History - ALFA ROMEO GIULIA GT":

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 07-27-2017 at 10:23 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Ken,

No, I didn't forget those incredibly-rare machines; they are just so beyond any possibility of my even seeing, much less owning one, I just moved right on past them to the ones mere mortals might afford.

I recall the viperous comments of GTA owners here on the BB regarding efforts to produce well-meaning replicas of such cars as though someone had forged the Declaration of Independence and was selling it on eBay as an original.

I have no problem with replicas, as long as they are presented as such. In their own way, they honor those few rare machines that were stuff of legend. With so many being destroyed though racing, and so few remaining as unmolested stock or surviving race cars, it's easy to see why Alfaholics, among others, take the time to produce tribute cars costing significant coin, even for the well-heeled. Even those cars are just eye candy for the vast majority of us Alfisti.

I have been back to Rome many times; the AGIP station, sign and Stepnose are all long gone.

Jay,

Thanks for the heads up on the books; I'll check them out and pick them up when I can.
simon johnson likes this.

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 04:03 AM

It's a dog, not a lion.

"Held in May 1952, the competition focused on Agip’s two flagship products, Supercortemaggiore petrol and Agipgas natural gas. Entrants were required to submit two billboard posters, two logos and the livery for a petrol pump. It was open to all Italians and offered total prize money of 10 million lire (about €160,000 in today’s money). The jury was made up of figures from the art world and the media. Within weeks more than 4,000 submissions had been received and the jury had to meet 14 times to select the winner. In September of 1952, the winner was announced: the six-legged dog, a graphic synthesis expressing strength, energy and optimism – values that could be seen in Italy as it underwent an economic miracle."

"horsepower sells cars - torque wins races".
1969 MK1 1750 GTV
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 04:56 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Wikipedia has a decent summary of the 105/115 Series which includes details of the stepnose coupes and their evolution over the years. Another buyer's guide I recommend is written by Keith Booker called "Alfa Romeo Giulia GT Coupe: The Essential Buyers Guide".

The very short summary is the Sprint GT and early GTV stepnose coupes are reasonably similar, though not identical. As you may know for a stepnose you're looking at '63-68 model years and these will all have 1600 motor. GT Junior retained the stepnose body a little longer thru '70 model year, these have 1300 motor.

'58 Giulietta Sprint Veloce (Blu Notte)
'65 Giulia Sprint GT Coupe (Rosso)
'58 Lancia Aurelia B24S Convertible
Other stuff (air cooled 911s, British sports racer, etc)

Last edited by lee88; 07-28-2017 at 05:03 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:

Ray
Hello Ray,

Regarding chart you might be helped out with this overview from Italian classic magazine, RuotteClassiche.
Furthermore some comment about this chart, there is not a clear indication of what I personally like best about first series Stepnose, the lower reararches.

Further therse is this usefull pic,

Lower reararches, from mid '67 these changed into the later higher reararches/ fenders.

GT 1300 Junior ('67) GT Junior 1300 Unificato ('75)
Giulia NS 1.3 TS ('77) 147 GTA Selespeed "Bianco NUvola"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 02:43 PM

never knew about the 6-bar and 7-bar ....

Not sure if you got the numbers correct but one of them has one more bar

And those front bumpers are different too!!!

Last edited by Alleggerita; 07-28-2017 at 02:46 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleggerita View Post

The bar count is inside the heart and is correct. The grill bar count looks to be the same on both cars in these pictures . According to my eyes.

Ciao

Ken

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
ex- 1965 GTA, RHD, Corsa, Trans/Am 66-72
1964 Sprint GT, B-Sedan in 70's
1970 Giulia Super (CDN Spec)
1976 1600 GTj (Italian Spec)
1966 Harley Sprint (Aermacchi) 250
2000 Catalina 320, Hull #765 Northern Dream
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 04:27 PM

Thanks Ken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengta View Post
The bar count is inside the heart and is correct. The grill bar count looks to be the same on both cars in these pictures . According to my eyes.

Ciao

Ken
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 04:45 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Yes, chrome-plated steel and one-piece on the early cars (the 105.02's) and polished stainless steel and multi-piece on the later cars (the 105.36's).

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengta View Post

Ciao

Ken
The scudetto of first series has no bar next to the emblem.
See also this pic form another angle.
joegt3cup likes this.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:

Look and count again. That's why the tittle of the overview also mentions, 'uguali eppur diverse'

Last edited by MIaGiulia; 07-29-2017 at 12:32 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode