Cosmopolitan 1969 1750 GTV - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Cosmopolitan 1969 1750 GTV

Hello fellow Alfisti.
I've just took delivery of my 1750 GTV US Spec.
Car was was manufactured in November 1968 and sold to Alfa USA in Newark in the same month.
According to Marco Fazio it was a Bianco Spino with Black Skai interior.
Car was auctioned last year after an old lady crashed into it while parked and damaged the rear and front of the car.
I bought it from a dealership in Dallas and shipped it to Cyprus. So it's been around (Italy, USA, Cyprus).

It's mostly original (bodywork and interior) with the 2000 lower fascia, front and rear windscreens must of been changed at some point since they lack the chrome strip and sadly the engine is a 2000 SPICA from a 1979 spider according to Papajam on another thread here. Also it was painted red at some point and then redone to the original white, but not really good.

It's going to be a long restoration project as I plan to strip it down completely, check all rust hot spots and do things properly where possible. In the long term I'll be looking for a 1750 engine, alas I don't thing I'll ever find a series 1 SPICA system in working order (Ingram is a long way from here) so I might have to settle for Webers.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:10 AM

nice find! that red front side marker is in the wrong location and should be on the rear flanks...

please dont loose the red ones... i recall the rear red ones (real carrello or altissimo) are hens teeth rare. you will be battling with 246 dino guys for replacements $$$$ which was also available for usa market for one year only before the larger rectangle ones.
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbert View Post
nice find! that red front side marker is in the wrong location and should be on the rear flanks...

please dont loose the red ones... i recall the rear red ones (real carrello or altissimo) are hens teeth rare. you will be battling with 246 dino guys for replacements $$$$ which was also available for usa market for one year only before the larger rectangle ones.
Thanks, will do. Yes, car is mostly original with minor details like that being in the wrong place.
As I said it had a troubled life but planning to restore her to her former American glory (lights and repeaters). Only thing hard is the 1750 Spica.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:03 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenios View Post
It's mostly original (bodywork and interior) with the 2000 lower fascia ...
I cannot see anything that looks like "the 2000 lower fascia" on your, what looks like a, great purchase.

I wonder also if the Spica might work with a 1750 engine, or even if it is the original injection and just the engine has been changed ???
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Quote:
It's mostly original (bodywork and interior) with the 2000 lower fascia ...
I cannot see anything that looks like "the 2000 lower fascia" on your, what looks like a, great purchase.

I wonder also if the Spica might work with a 1750 engine, or even if it is the original injection and just the engine has been changed ???
Pete
It's got 4 center vents instead of the top two. Easily rectified even with this one, if front damage is fixable I will just weld the bottom two (although Cyprus weather is hot as hell).
Later Spicas had extra hose and a different filter housing. Mine has the later ones.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:23 PM
PSk

Quote:
It's got 4 center vents instead of the top two. Easily rectified even with this one, if front damage is fixable I will just weld the bottom two (although Cyprus weather is hot as hell).
Some 1750's had the 4 centre vents instead of the top two, but you are likely right with yours being an early one.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 07:53 PM

Nice find indeed. Re:SPICA - being such an important part of the car I'd wonder if its not worth the shipping cost to have Wes send you the right pump. I can only expect you'll have to ship other parts a reasonable distance and Wes is sure to have the right pump on his shelf...

'73 GTV bare metal project... nearing 'car' status
E30 Daily - '65 912 project... no longer in waiting
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks, will do. Yes, car is mostly original with minor details like that being in the wrong place.
As I said it had a troubled life but planning to restore her to her former American glory (lights and repeaters). Only thing hard is the 1750 Spica.
spica are not so hard to find though the 69 is a little different without the fuel solenoid cut out which i prefer... gives it race car like popping on the overuns when lifting off the throttle on decel. wes ingram or herb in washington can fix, tune or possibly find u a 69pump or just find a later 73/74 type since those are preferred. plenty of spicas available here since many were removed and replaced with webers here in the 70s and 80's.

i recall one of the 69 camshafts are a bit different than the mk2 1750's? i cant remember its been a long long time since ive tinkered with mine since ive been distracted by other cars. papajoe would know... is he still around here on the bb? he is the bonafide expert on the detail differences on the 69's
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Its been several years. But I sent my 69 pump from my Berlina and asked Wes if he could send me a 71 1750 pump back instead. So if he hasn't sold it to someone else. He might still have it. It was a rebuildable core. APE might have the correct intake and there is or was a correct 69 model air box on Ebay within in the last week or so. Although I think they wanted to much for it. But then again they are hard to find.

The 69 front filter is the same through to the 74 model year.

Not sure what extra hose your talking about. All Spicas had 2 fuel lines going to it.
Xenios likes this.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.

Last edited by Jim G; 07-09-2017 at 09:28 PM.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
Its been several years. But I sent my 69 pump from my Berlina and asked Wes if he could send me a 71 1750 pump back instead. So if he hasn't sold it to someone else. He might still have it. It was a rebuildable core. APE might have the correct intake and there is or was a correct 69 model air box on Ebay within in the last week or so. Although I think they wanted to much for it. But then again they are hard to find.

The 69 front filter is the same through to the 74 model year.

Not sure what extra hose your talking about. All Spicas had 2 fuel lines going to it.
front filter is the same, the lid is different without the ram air ducting hose found on the mk2 and 2000's. 69s had the twin idle circuit adjusters on the airbox too.
Xenios likes this.
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:43 AM

here is my old 1750 mk1 motor coming out... as u can see the 69 pump is unique without the fuel cut off solenoid. good view of the two vent valance witch i recall are found on very few cars. notice the radiator structure is different without the ram air port

the hot two liter i put in with the later HP spica pump for around 160-165hp

i think i will put freshen up the 1750 out it back in to make the car stock again since 69's are too nice a rare to chop up. I hope to find a step nose to modify and build a proper trackcar out of someday. rear bulkhead is also unique different from the early stepnose and later mk2 / 2000's cars. dont loose those two black plasitc access panels please. the ones on the mk2 and 2000s dont fit!
Attached Images

Xenios likes this.
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 03:33 AM

Hi Xenios,

Our cars may have been on the assembly line at the same time.

My 1750, chassis #1451572 was built on Nov 26, 1968 - also Bianco Spino with Black Skai interiors.

Being a 105.45 (RHD), mine has Webers. I won't get into the Webers vs Spica argument as it seems to set people off.

All the best with your resto.

Cheers,
Wazza.
Attached Images

Xenios likes this.

"horsepower sells cars - torque wins races".
1969 MK1 1750 GTV
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 03:52 AM
GTD

Xenios
I may have a 1969 build year 1750 engine in my Alfa STUFF.
If I don't have one on hand it is likely I can source one for you if you decide to return your GTV to original.

Send me a Private Message if you have any interest.
Ranz and Xenios like this.

Alfa Sapiens
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Just a heads up. Project took a small delay due to personal/family issues. As Jonh Lennon said "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans".

Looking forward to start teardown in the next couple of weeks.
davbert likes this.
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 10:48 AM
PSk

Good luck with the personal/family issues . Cars, as mine is, can patiently wait.

Pete
Xenios likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Tags
1750 gtv, 1969

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode