CA Registration Mystery - 1974 GTV - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 07:13 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndecidedRacer View Post
the label in the engine bay does not cover CA - its a 49 state label and CA requires a 50 state label.
Not that I am suggesting that you have this debate with the clerk at the DMV, but did the "49 state vs. California" distinction even exist in 1974? My guess would be "no".

Quote:
Jay - unrelated answer but the pictures aren't appearing due to your browser preference as i had the same issue. I am on a Mac and the pictures only render on Safari (not chrome, nor firefox).
I am using Chrome.

Quote:
Jim - most importantly, you bring something very important to the discussion. If this comes down to the "he said, she said" over whether this was a US car, is there a database or a print publication that backs up your VIN series description? I'd like to be able to hand something to them.
I should let Jim answer this, but I suspect he is looking at the Fusi book. Even the more accessible "Alfa Romeo Buyers Guide" by Joe Benson references the difference in VIN between US and ROW 115 series cars. My ancient edition of the "Buyers Guide" supports what Jim said: the US version GTV's had VINs of the form: 11501.3xxxx

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 06-21-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 07:41 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Osso:

For some odd reason, the photos you are posting today aren't displaying (at least, not for me). I also noticed this in your thread "Recommended Lubricants Stickers". I can view photos you had uploaded in earlier postings, as well as in others' posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirkpatrick View Post
Osso, just for the record I have the same issue. No pictures above or in other posts from you today.
Thank you. I'll fix both posts...or repost so it works.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Ken - that CA vehicle emissions label that was previously affixed to the rear drivers window is apparently the one i am missing. Can i PM you and we figure out how to get the reproduction or - laughing - the one off your GTV

Thanks again for all of the help in getting this figured out.
I actually have one that you are welcome to. However, it is for a 1973 car, and the decal clearly specifies the model year. It has been sliced in two pieces... And the decal is slightly larger and has different emission measurement numbers than the decal on my car (not that the DMV would even no the difference).

Just "age" the decal, tear out the last digit of the model year, slap it in to the rear quarter window crooked and your good to go. Mine is actually like that. I can pop it in the mail or if you're in the East Bay, we can meeting up and I can bring it with me.

Ken
'73 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 08:51 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagt View Post
I actually have one that you are welcome to. However, it is for a 1973 car, and the decal clearly specifies the model year. It has been sliced in two pieces... And the decal is slightly larger and has different emission measurement numbers than the decal on my car (not that the DMV would even no the difference).

Just "age" the decal, tear out the last digit of the model year, slap it in to the rear quarter window crooked and your good to go. Mine is actually like that. I can pop it in the mail or if you're in the East Bay, we can meeting up and I can bring it with me.
Got a picture?

post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 09:16 PM

Here it is...
Attached Images

Ken
'73 GTV
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 09:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

I have a VIN verifier coming to my place Sunday. He works out of the SF Bay Area. I'll let you know how it goes. One of the cars is a '74 GTV. I've made multiple trips to the DMV over the last 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 10:02 PM

Great thread!

I moved to the bay area last summer from Denmark, and I sent over my '74 GT junior in parts as I received the body back from the paint shop just 2 days before my container was shipped. Thus, my car is a Danish registered carburator car. It is almost assembled and I was hoping to get a CA registration for it, but I am fearing that it will be difficult as I don't even have any customs papers from bringing it into the country (since it was imported as car parts).

My hope was to get the car done and ready for the Monterey Italian car show in August, but that seems somewhat unrealistic.

Will it be completely impossible to register a non-US car here?

1974 Alfa GT1300Junior
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitora View Post
Great thread!

I moved to the bay area last summer from Denmark, and I sent over my '74 GT junior in parts as I received the body back from the paint shop just 2 days before my container was shipped. Thus, my car is a Danish registered carburator car. It is almost assembled and I was hoping to get a CA registration for it, but I am fearing that it will be difficult as I don't even have any customs papers from bringing it into the country (since it was imported as car parts).

My hope was to get the car done and ready for the Monterey Italian car show in August, but that seems somewhat unrealistic.

Will it be completely impossible to register a non-US car here?
At the risk of perpetuating a thread hijack, was the car ever registered in your name in Denmark? If it was for a year or more it's worth contacting CARB to see if you can get an exemption. See https://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_f...t_cars_faq.htm

Otherwise, likely the answer is no.
kitora likes this.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 04:35 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Here it is...
Ken,

If you can get me a high resolution scan or picture and the dimensions, I would love to take a stab at reproducing it.

post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 06:04 AM

Brian,
I can send you the other decal (I have two) and you can have at it. They're reverse image (since they adhere to the inside of the window) and larger than the decal on my car. I've only seen a couple of originals and they were all the smaller size, so if you could repro and reduce to match my '73 decal, I'd love to have one. PM me.
Ken

Ken
'73 GTV
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 06:15 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Brian,
I can send you the other decal (I have two) and you can have at it. They're reverse image (since they adhere to the inside of the window) and larger than the decal on my car. I've only seen a couple of originals and they were all the smaller size, so if you could repro and reduce to match my '73 decal, I'd love to have one. PM me.
Ken
Thank you, Ken. I'll pm you my address.

post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 07:00 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Quote:
...is there a database or a print publication that backs up your VIN series description? I'd like to be able to hand something to them.
No database per se but I've been compiling chassis number, model number & engine number data from Alfa published documents for years. This spreadsheet saves me tons of research time in answering questions such as yours. If you send me an email at alfalibrary AT optonline DOT net, I'd be happy to send you this spreadsheet and a scan of the Alfa document from which your chassis number info was obtained.

Quote:
...did the "49 state vs. California" distinction even exist in 1974?
Yes.
From memory, the 1974 GTV user manual #2192 came in two flavors; 49-State & California versions. The CA version is the same as the 49-State except for a 'California Version' sticker on the cover and a sticker on the ignition timing page with different timing specs.

Quote:
I should let Jim answer this, but I suspect he is looking at the Fusi book.
Not a chance! Way too many errors for my liking. That's why I reference documents published by Alfa.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 07:24 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Answering a question above that Jay asked. No, no 49-state/Calif car distinction til a few years later than 1974. I had a DMV checker stumble over a 73 Berlina I brought in from AZ because the compliance sticker said Federal with no separate California reference. But they didn't have those at that point yet, and in any case it didn't matter because the car was smog-exempt anyway. Still, it's a bureaucracy and you have to deal with it on their terms. I skated through, not sure how I convinced her but I did.

After that experience, I have a peace officer, CHP or local police, do my VIN inspections rather than a DMV inspector. Easier and generally less officious. And often at the CHP you'll get a car guy.

Andrew
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 07:52 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
49 and 50 state cars started in 1975. My old Alfetta was a 49 state car.

post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie57 View Post
At the risk of perpetuating a thread hijack, was the car ever registered in your name in Denmark? If it was for a year or more it's worth contacting CARB to see if you can get an exemption. See https://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_f...t_cars_faq.htm

Otherwise, likely the answer is no.
The car was registered to me in Denmark since 2010 (in fact it still is), so that might be usefull. I sent an email to CARB last night and hope for a positive response.
Aggie57 likes this.

1974 Alfa GT1300Junior

Tags
1974 gtv, ca dmv, emissions label, registration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode