I found a 1970 GTV 1750, Need Buying Advice for my First Alfa ! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:16 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wokingham, UK
Posts: 138
Garage
The engine bay looks odd to me. Attached is a photo of my MarkII 1750, which is what your car appears to be. You will see it looks quite different in places. The cam cover on your car is incorrect (like Scalino1300 said) and there should be twin brake servos in the engine bay. It looks like there have been some substantial changes in the engine bay and unless you know for sure what has been done to it (and why) you could be buying something that is not what it seems. Maybe that doesn't matter to you if it drives well. The fact it wouldn't start shows the dealer doesn't know the car or has not paid much attention to it (it should not be a surprise to him, especially if you gave him advanced warning you were coming).

Several warning signs IMO. Make sure you go in with your eyes open, and also make sure you have money available to fix issues unless you can work on the car yourself. One thing I have learned from my own experience - take a torch and shine it up into the wheel arches and look at the paint above the wheel under the wing. Mine had been "restored" but that area had just been blown over with paint which did not adhere properly and was flaking and rusting. I didn't look that far under the wheelarches when I inspected mine......
Attached Images
 
NigelR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 9
I will definitely ask the owner about the engine. I enjoyed the car as I always do. It really is a beauty and the dealer assured me that it runs fine.

The battery let us down though. The dealer has 500 cars stored in a 6 story building and they normally trade bentleys and ferraris etc. so I wouldn't go hard on them because they didn't check the poor little Alfa properly. They plugged out the battery hoping it won't die that way, it didn't help I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalino1300 View Post
Did the fillerneck have the rubber boot around it? If the car doesn't have it, or it's incorrectly installed, some petrol may have ended up in the trunk that may explain the smell.
Sadly, I didn't check.

To be honest, I wanted to take a look at this one because it looked really clean and it was ~10k euro cheaper than those in Europe. In Turkey, car prices are normally a lot more expensive than the Europe which makes the price even more attractive. I will move to Germany in two months and if it wasn't that cheap I wouldn't bother.

My first impressions were positive but I am not really satisfied with it simply because the history of the car is so blank. I will try to contact the owner but I am quite sceptical about its history. I will probably start focusing on the European market again.

Arda - Future Mechanical Engineering Student looking for his first Alfa...

Last edited by Godvader; 05-18-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Godvader is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Nakagtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mount Pleasant (Charleston), SC
Posts: 744
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelR View Post
The cam cover on your car is incorrect (like Scalino1300 said) and there should be twin brake servos in the engine bay. It looks like there have been some substantial changes in the engine bay and unless you know for sure what has been done to it (and why) you could be buying something that is not what it seems.
1970 was a first year for hanging pedals on LHD GTs, so a single break booster is correct on that car. Headliner is incorrect and interior stainless steel trim above the door and around rear quarter window is missing. I think B pillar trim is also missing. Seat upholstery should have basketweave pieces. As others noted cam cover and intake manifold does not look like from 1970 GTV. Otherwise car looks great, good luck!
nunki likes this.

Zaza

Current Alfas:

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
1987 Milano Verde
1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750

Refreshing 1750 GTV
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nakagtv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:26 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wokingham, UK
Posts: 138
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godvader View Post
To be honest, I wanted to take a look at this one because it looked really clean and it was ~10k euro cheaper than those in Europe. In Turkey, car prices are normally a lot more expensive than the Europe which makes the price even more attractive. I will move to Germany in two months and if it wasn't that cheap I wouldn't bother.
I may sound cynical but good examples of these cars are worth good money. If it is cheap, there will be a reason for it. However, the most important thing with these cars is the condition of the bodywork. Repairing the body is very expensive compared to replacing mechanical components unless you have the skills to do the bodywork yourself. So if the body is in really good shape, it may be worth buying at that price. If it turns out you have an incorrect engine (or maybe it is just the wrong cam cover), you can always fix that later if you want. People change the engines on these cars a lot. But if the body is in bad shape you will need to start spending money soon....

FYI here is a thread with the engine identification marks so you can see what type of engine it has. It looks like it may not have a 1750 engine (which is what makes the 1750 desirable to many people) but you can find out for sure next time you go to see the car: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engi...ification.html

Last edited by NigelR; 05-19-2017 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added link to engine ids
NigelR is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:48 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wokingham, UK
Posts: 138
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakagtv View Post
1970 was a first year for hanging pedals on LHD GTs, so a single break booster is correct on that car.
Oops, forgot to take that into account. However, the brake servo looks like it comes from a later GTV or Alfetta as I've not seen a 1750 with that arrangement. I found this thread which has gprocket's and some other good pics of 1750 engine bays: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1...ictures-5.html

Last edited by NigelR; 05-19-2017 at 08:05 AM.
NigelR is offline  
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelR View Post
I may sound cynical but good examples of these cars are worth good money. If it is cheap, there will be a reason for it.
While this a true statement in Northern Europe, Australia and the U.S., the paucity of GTVs in Turkey could be because the market for them is thin or non-existent.

No affordable GTV is perfect. It gets down to what imperfections a potential owner is willing to tolerate.

There are enough good things shown in the images of this particular GTV that I'd make an offer on it. If the car is drivable, and the brakes, clutch, lights, etc. work then in the U.S. market this car on a dealer's lot would be listed for at least $30K.

Some 30 years ago we were doing a business in both Montana and Texas and noticed used trucks sold for more in Texas than Montana. My business partner at the time took advantage of this by buying a couple of used Ford F-150 or whatever in Montana then drove them down to Texas and sold each for a profit of several thousand dollars each. I mention this because I'm wondering if Turkey and Germany might be Montana and Texas in this car's story.

Last edited by nunki; 05-19-2017 at 10:33 AM.
nunki is offline  
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:25 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 27
Garage
Welcome!

The car looks very nice! Honestly if there are no serious rust/rut/frame damage etc, and the car runs decent and drives good without any serious visible leaks etc - I think for $10k less than others you're looking at, it is a steal. I recently bought mine (just over a month ago) online for quite less than others that I have been looking at - knowing very well that it was a respectable driving car with many minor flaws. I have been just so happy with it, and have put almost 3000 (very happy) miles on it already!

You will love it. Go for it, take a risk, and enjoy it!
Attached Images
 
74GTVeloce is offline  
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Nakagtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mount Pleasant (Charleston), SC
Posts: 744
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelR View Post
Oops, forgot to take that into account. However, the brake servo looks like it comes from a later GTV or Alfetta as I've not seen a 1750 with that arrangement. I found this thread which has gprocket's and some other good pics of 1750 engine bays: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1...ictures-5.html

Mr.Nigel, car's 1970 with hanging pedals and booster looked like this one from CA, later spiders got slightly different looking booster.
BR003 ATE LHD BRAKE SERVO - NEW - ALL LHD CARS 1970 ON - Classic Alfa

Zaza

Current Alfas:

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
1987 Milano Verde
1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750

Refreshing 1750 GTV
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nakagtv is offline  
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 02:05 AM
Registered User
 
malcolm1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Shoreham-by-sea, West Sussex, UK
Posts: 139
Garage
Shame that the battery was flat and you didn't get to run the engine or drive the car.

The car has the same K&N pancake style air filters as mine, rather than the standard air filter can. This could be a sign that the engine has been changed - possibly to a 2 litre - so definitely worth checking that with the owner (or getting the engine number). Not a deal breaker, but could affect the value.

The low stance looks cool in my opinion, as long as the suspension work has been done well and it isn't too hard over bumps.

The smell of petrol is probably a small issue, easily fixed.

Definitely worth a second look and a test drive.

1975 GT Junior with 2 litre lump
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
malcolm1 is offline  
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 04:21 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wokingham, UK
Posts: 138
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakagtv View Post
Mr.Nigel, car's 1970 with hanging pedals and booster looked like this one from CA, later spiders got slightly different looking booster.
Thanks, I must be too used to seeing RHD cars! So if Arda checks for the engine id mark, he should be able to see exactly what he is getting. Maybe it's looking like a bargain......
NigelR is offline  
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 9
This has got much more attention than I expected! Thanks for everyone commenting. I wanted to give a quick update. I am sending applications to colleges this week and I will be mostly busy with that. So the second visit is delayed by one week

I am still interested in the car and next time I visit the dealer, I will make sure to note down the engine and chassis numbers. And try to run the car

There is something bothering my mind. As a young member of Alfabb most of you have more experience with life, cars and Alfas. compared to me.

I am only 19 and I don't have any way of income right now. So the budget for the Alfa will be coming solely from my dad's wallet. We already had a deal with him which grants me to buy the car I want (within a budget ofc) but When I think about it; I believe, I should be the one paying for my own dream car. I feel like it will have less value if someone else pays for it. What do you think?

Arda - Future Mechanical Engineering Student looking for his first Alfa...
Godvader is offline  
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 11:31 AM
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Scalino1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Holland
Posts: 280
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godvader View Post
I am only 19 and I don't have any way of income right now. So the budget for the Alfa will be coming solely from my dad's wallet. We already had a deal with him which grants me to buy the car I want (within a budget ofc) but When I think about it; I believe, I should be the one paying for my own dream car. I feel like it will have less value if someone else pays for it. What do you think?
I was in a sort of similar and fortunate situation some years back (when I was 16) and I got my first car (the Junior). Does it make me less happy to own a dream car knowing that I haven't payed for it? Although I can never know for sure, I can compare it to the Giulia I bought myself last year. Which probably is less special to me as it isn't my first ever car. However stunning it may be - to me - it will never be as special as the Junior, even if I payed for it myself.
I also think what you do to and with the car is what is important. To me it adds value when I work on it myself and go for a drive. That far outweighs the value of buying it with your own money, to me at least.
nunki likes this.

Tim
________________
'66 Giulia Ti
'69 GT 1300 Junior
'03 156 GTA SW
Scalino1300 is online now  
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalino1300 View Post
I also think what you do to and with the car is what is important. To me it adds value when I work on it myself and go for a drive. That far outweighs the value of buying it with your own money, to me at least.
Thanks for sharing your experience Tim. Your argument is solid and it has crossed my mind too.


I am trying to think it as an investment for my father and a joy to me. Hopefull that way I will feel less guilty somehow?

I will also need to research how to bring a car with me to Germany. I want to keep the Turkish License Plate but it is just a fantasy; it will not be ideal for sure. Anyone imported a car to Germany before?

Arda - Future Mechanical Engineering Student looking for his first Alfa...
Godvader is offline  
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 06:57 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wokingham, UK
Posts: 138
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godvader View Post
I feel like it will have less value if someone else pays for it. What do you think?
The most important question to ask IMO is who is going to pay the ongoing costs that owning this car will demand? You cannot own a classic Alfa without being prepared to invest your money and/or your time in it. All cars will require some work, they all have some surprises no matter how good they look at first sight.

So think of it that way. If you are going to contribute to the upkeep of the car then in some ways that's more important than who funded the purchase, because you should get the original investment back (they are only going up in value provided you look after them).
Scalino1300 likes this.
NigelR is offline  
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 11:19 AM
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Scalino1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Holland
Posts: 280
Garage
Any news on this?

Tim
________________
'66 Giulia Ti
'69 GT 1300 Junior
'03 156 GTA SW
Scalino1300 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome