12" Spaal Mounted - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By BostonBertone
  • 1 Post By swallow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

12" Spaal Mounted

While I'm waiting for some machining on my 1750 build I worked on an electric fan mount.

Fan:
I chose the Spaal VA10-AP50/C-61A puller which fit on the back of the radiator with less than 1/8" to spare. I also opted for the 3/4" brackets (30130010) that slide into the T mounts.

Design:
I drew the brackets in FreeCAD using the Spaal drawings and measurements off my radiator. It required a lot more tweaking to get everything lined up.
My hope was to have them laser cut but the prices for this were stupid so I printed them out and glued them to 14 gauge steel.

Fabrication:
I cut the steel with my cutoff wheel and a jig saw. Tedious but fun. A metal file cleaned it up then I marked and cut the holes M6.
I next sanded it down, 2 coats of etching primer and then several coats of ACE Ruststop (nice paint in the U.S. I have found - lays down even)

Some homemade EPDM washers went between the bracket and the radiator to protect the paint. Very happy with the results.

If anyone wants the SVG file just send me a PM. Note you should print it out and check your local conditions. The fit took me several tries before I cut the final holes.
Attached Images

IanL and Antonio105 like this.

68' Parisian Alfa GTV 1750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 04:08 PM

Nice, I laser cut some delrin (should have used black...) to mount my Spal on an aluminum radiator.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Laser cutting was more reasonable for the non metal materials and probably would have been strong enough as well. Nice clean install....and nice clean engine bay!

I'll run the fan relay with an alfetta sensor mounted in-line with the lower radiator hose using a Saab 900 housing from the local scrap yard.

68' Parisian Alfa GTV 1750

Last edited by BostonBertone; 04-25-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 05:21 AM

Garage
While it looks nice doesn't it block quite a bit of air like that? (For the times when the Fan doesn't run)

Learning, learning..
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:04 AM

You want the air to be blocked somewhat. Which is why race cars have angled radiators, slows down the air. creates some turbulence.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:01 PM

Garage
@TehKyosho I would understand if it was formed like the original shroud which would sort of create a venturi effect but just like that?

Learning, learning..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehKyosho View Post
Nice, I laser cut some delrin (should have used black...) to mount my Spal on an aluminum radiator.
That all looks very tidy. One question though, your top radiator hose is very short/straight - it doesn't look like it will give any room for flex/engine movement. Have you run it like this? It is due obviously to the location of your radiator connection but most hoses I've seen will have some extra length or an elbow to accommodate things moving around under load..
Antonio105 likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 12:01 PM

Been like this for a year now, no issues. But it does have some room to move because the bottom is pegged into a grommet like modern-ish cars sometimes have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandroM View Post
@TehKyosho I would understand if it was formed like the original shroud which would sort of create a venturi effect but just like that?
Doesn't really matter, the shroud just makes all the air collect into one spot but air will make its way through and around; just slowed down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode