GTV Windshield - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:50 AM

Didn't have to take the dash out of my 1967 GTV. The real problem was that the replacement trim I bought didn't fit correctly. I ended up taking the original trim to a guy who straightened it (after a glass guy bent it taking it out). I then had it polished.

The replacement trim can be made to fit, but it takes some work, which is why the new pieces are sitting in a dusty box in the attic of my garage instead of on the car.

Another note is that replacement trim isn't always finished the same as the original trim, which was anodized in a way that is tough to do in the U.S. these days.

Gary Williams
Washington State
'67 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:53 AM
Gold Subscriber

10-4 on the look but in 45 years I suspect my replacement trim will look pretty close to the original trim. The first trim I got from the UK didn't fit either, there was just no way. I took photos documenting the problem and even though it was over a year later they sent me replacement trim at no cost to me including shipping that fit perfectly.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
74 GTV restored daily driver
another 74 GTV restored driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem75 View Post
10-4 on the look but in 45 years I suspect my replacement trim will look pretty close to the original trim. The first trim I got from the UK didn't fit either, there was just no way. I took photos documenting the problem and even though it was over a year later they sent me replacement trim at no cost to me including shipping that fit perfectly.
My car's factory trim was polished and "bright anodized." I learned this while shopping for someone who could repair what the dingbat glass guy did to it several years ago. In fact, I learned way more about anodizing than I ever wanted to know.

My factory original trim still had a very nice finish on it after 45 years, without me ever doing anything other than keeping it clean. The bright anodizing was taken off so the metal bender could take the dings and crimps out of it.

Bright anodizing is different than other types of anodizing and the process isn't done many places in the U.S. anymore. Without anodizing, we will need to keep our trim polished or it will quickly look dull and may begin to pit and corrode.

My point in mentioning the factory finish is to let people know that they will probably find that replacement trim is neither polished nor anodized. To look right, it will need to be polished. To keep it looking good will take more care than the factory finish. I guess this is a victory for the originale police. This is certainly an instance were original is better than scuderia non originale.

Gary Williams
Washington State
'67 GTV

Last edited by Gary Williams; 05-10-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:15 PM
Gold Subscriber

That's odd. I can't imagine there is more than one supplier of this trim. What I got from Classic Alfa is very reflective, almost a mirror finish which by my definition is polished, highly polished actually. By no means is it dull.

currently
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:24 PM

Classic did well by you. I won't ding the supplier who I bought from because they really tried to make it right, but their trim was not polished or anodized and it wouldn't fit without knowing how to heat bend it. I talked to another supplier I've used for years who no longer carries trim because it's been such a problem. Again, I mention this only so those who come along later and look up this thread will know what questions to ask when they are considering buying trim.

Gary Williams
Washington State
'67 GTV

Last edited by Gary Williams; 09-23-2017 at 09:53 AM.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Gold Subscriber

No sweat, I should have said one manufacturer, there are multiple "suppliers" I guess there is more than one manufacturer too.

currently
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygtveloce View Post
The last time I replaced a windshield, prosource had only tinted windshields. When it arrived it was pretty deep green tint. So, I sourced a clear one from Pilkington. The price was competitive and clear looked more correct to my eye. Just something to be aware of.
Can you tell me how you sourced from Pilkington? I understand they have a US base office. THnks
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 03:55 PM

XXX

Last edited by mygtveloce; 02-22-2019 at 03:12 PM.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

I bought my front windshield from ProSource Glass about 4 months ago ,it was the clear type , I had no problem installing it ,went in perfect without any issues, gasket type,had to source gasket and trim all for around $ 800 plus

Ben Serpico. 74 gtv 75 alfetta 76 gtv
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 11:12 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJr View Post
I saw the rear price, yes it is, 25% more, saved mine when I pulled the rear screen, I guess they know they have you, can pretty much charge whatever they want.
They would rarely sell a rear screen so yeah expensive it would be. Unless you drive backwards you will never get a stone chip in one and then no need to get a replacement one ... Unlike front ones which they probably sell by the maybe even 100's a year, even for our old 105 series.

Even my 156v6's windscreen got a stone chip not long ago. Thankfully they were able to 95% fix it with a glue process and my insurance company paid for it
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode