The missing link story.... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By tuttebenne
  • 1 Post By Alfajay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

The missing link story....

Had to pull the head off my 1300 junior to fix an issue with a valve. I was putting it back on the car today, and the worst thing happened: I dropped the cam chain link into the engine!

I have taken the oil sump cover off and have spent 3-4 hours with magnets and air pressure trying to find the link, but it is nowhere to be found. I am suspecting (or hoping) that I have dropped it somewhere and that it is no longer in the engine. However I am not sure that is a 100% the case.

I am totally out of ideas on how to find it, as I just keep repeating what I have now done for several hours. Any great ideas out there?

I know that it could cause a fatal engine error if I just put the engine back together and run it, but I don't know what to do. What would my fellow alfaBB'ers do?

1974 Alfa GT1300Junior

Last edited by kitora; 02-24-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 08:40 PM
Gold Subscriber

install another timing chain link, rotate the engine by hand, if it goes twice no problem, if it binds the missing link is in the chain, as you haven't fired the motor, un-torque the head and carefully remove the timing cover

current:
84 Spider Veloce
ex:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

solve problems, learn something new!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerspeed View Post
install another timing chain link, rotate the engine by hand, if it goes twice no problem, if it binds the missing link is in the chain, as you haven't fired the motor, un-torque the head and carefully remove the timing cover
I took the chain out completely when it had happened, and my search was without a chain in the engine, but still with no luck. I have rotated the engine multiple times between blowing air to see if the d*mn thing was stuck somewhere and came loose with the air preasure. The engine turns nicely without any indication of a chain link stuck anywhere.

How can something like that just disappear? Bermuda traingle engine... ?!

Anyways, if anyone in the Bay Area happens to have a spare chain link, I am very interested in buying from you this weekend.

1974 Alfa GT1300Junior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

it probably isn't in there, though the lower chain can't be visually inspected (or removed) with the timing cover in place. You could rent/borrow a borescope.

current:
84 Spider Veloce
ex:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

solve problems, learn something new!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 01:03 PM

Got a smart phone? Pick up one of these

https://www.amazon.com/SanSiDo-Megap.../dp/B01IA15YG0

My kids got me one for Christmas and there isn't a hidden space that is safe from me any more. It even comes with a small attachment that goes on the end of the camera containing a magnet - to retrieve small metallic items such as your missing link.

These are just too cheap now for us all to not have one (no affiliation with these things)
cuorealfa and f4driver like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 03:26 PM
Gold Subscriber

What part of the link did you drop? The big one with the pins or just the clip or one of the two links? I assume you have removed the camshafts when rotating the bottom end? I know this sounds crazy but since you have the bottom off the sump you can drop another piece down and watch where it goes, it might lead you to the missing piece.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 12:45 PM

Its not such a crazy idea because there is a link down there already and it needs to come out anyway.

Many moons ago I was a computer tech and lost a coil spring holding a Disc drive door interlock (these were the days when drives were the size of a washing machine.) There was a spring and interlock on the left and one on the right. I had lost the right one. If I had to go back to the office to source another spring, the customer would have been down the entire time. So what did I have to lose? I launched the spring from the left side at the same point on the right where the other had flown off. Low and behold, it hit the floor about ten feet away and rolled under a cabinet in the office and right next to it was the other one! Zero to hero!

Last edited by tuttebenne; 02-26-2017 at 12:48 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

I gave up on finding it and bought a new link. The engine is now running again, and I am crossing my fingers that it shows up on my garage floor and not somewhere where it is not supposed to be in the engine. It was the large part with the pins that I lost.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 02:09 PM

Did you check the oil plug? Maybe it's stuck at the magnet.

Eliseo Carrillo
105.30....Scalino
101.23....Little Green Spider - now back home with Dr. Rex
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECARRILLO View Post
Did you check the oil plug? Maybe it's stuck at the magnet.
Nope, wasn't there.

1974 Alfa GT1300Junior
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:57 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitora View Post
I am crossing my fingers that it shows up on my garage floor and not somewhere where it is not supposed to be in the engine.
Oh, it's probably in the sump. But it won't cause any harm - the oil will keep it from bouncing up into the spinning crankshaft or chains, and the oil pump has a screen to prevent it from getting ingested. Just don't worry about it. Nine oil changes down the road, it will show up on the drain plug magnet.
cuorealfa likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

It wasn't in the sump. I pulled the lower sump cover off and inspected/searched from below as well as from above.

My conclusion is that it magically disolved itself as it dropped into the engine, and I will never see it again....

1974 Alfa GT1300Junior
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:22 AM

Wink

Quote:
It wasn't in the sump. I pulled the lower sump cover off and inspected/searched from below as well as from above.

My conclusion is that it magically disolved itself as it dropped into the engine, and I will never see it again....
Hope it let's you sleep........

Eliseo Carrillo
105.30....Scalino
101.23....Little Green Spider - now back home with Dr. Rex
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:35 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
By "the lower sump cover" I assume you mean that "D" -shaped part at the very bottom of a 105 oil pan. There are a lot of places for a small part to hide above the lower sump cover. The upper part of the sump has some ridges and oil is sticky enough to keep the link from dropping to the lowest point in the sump.

But the "magically dissolved itself" explanation works for me too!

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode