Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Engine sticker locations for 1974 GTV

10K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  ossodiseppia 
#1 ·
I have a bunch of the stickers that go into the engine area, but I have no idea of their location...does anyone have a diagram?

Thanks.

Paul

#2 ·
I bought a 'decal set' for my 1970 1750GTV (carby 'Euro-spec') and got the ones illustrated below. There seem to be a lot of decals and I'll have a crack at where they go.

1) Lubrication chart. Definitely goes on the underside of the bonnet.
2) This one says 'Norme da osservere durante prima 1900 miglia' - that is, 'observe during the first 1900 miles'. It is a run in chart and may go inside the drivers door jam near the striker plate, though I'm not sure.
3) Curved sticker that says 'Torino FISPA Italy'. It goes on the cylindrical airbox and describes the type of air filter required.
4) 'Attenzione'. Describes the type of oil to use in the gear box ('cambio di velocita'). Not sure where this one goes.
5) Colour code decal. It goes inside of the boot (trunk) lid.
6) This one goes on top of the square radiator cap.
7) 'Do not use oil type EP'. Not sure where it goes.
8) Small electrical diagram. Likely goes on voltage regulator.
9) 'Liquido freni' = Brake fluid. Probably goes on or near fluid reservoir.
10) Another light coloured one that roughly translates as 'fill with 0.75 litres of water with additives as described in the instruction manual'. Don't know where it goes.
11) 'While filling open bleed screw on engine'. Instructions for filling the radiator. Don't know where it goes.
12) 'Calore 'Pirelli''. Don't know where this goes either.
13) 'Superpotente Magneti Marelli'. Superpotente = superpowerful. Probably goes on the coil.
14) 'Alfa Romeo Made in Italy'. Goes on firewall in engine bay.

Yours may be different and hopefully other list members will chip in where I've been unable to identify the places. But like I said, there seem to be a lot of decals. I was rather hoping that there'd be one that said 'Guidi come un uomo posseduto' (drive like a man possessed) that I could put on the windcreen, but no such luck.
Regards,
Chris

Attachments

#11 ·
The Alfa Sticker Hunt

I bought a 'decal set' for my 1970 1750GTV (carby 'Euro-spec') and got the ones illustrated below. There seem to be a lot of decals and I'll have a crack at where they go.
. . . .

Yours may be different and hopefully other list members will chip in where I've been unable to identify the places. But like I said, there seem to be a lot of decals. I was rather hoping that there'd be one that said 'Guidi come un uomo posseduto' (drive like a man possessed) that I could put on the windcreen, but no such luck.
Regards,
Chris
I know that half the fun is in the hunt (like an Easter egg hunt, pub crawl or singles bar), but couldn't the vendor supply some guidance on this? Perhaps 10 Euros more would get you the answer key . . . .

#4 ·
I have that Made in Italy sticker on the driver-side (left in US) front door jamb on my 1750SV. Can't speak to a GTV. I can take a snap on it's placement a bit later if you want. I do not see the paint sticker that, on a 1750, is under the boot/trunk lid nearer the front (forward) of the boot.

Was this set specifically for a 1750? I have several missing. Where did you get it and how much?

#5 ·
very helpful...thanks

#6 · (Edited)
Sticker Location

Here are the two photos I promised - the "Made in Italy" and paint stickers. Jeeze, needs cleaning in that crevice . ..

So, for Paul & Chris - where did you get the sticker sets and how $$$.

Thanks, Bruce

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
I got mine from Classic Car Decals (CLASSIC CAR DECALS - Restoration stickers for classic cars.) some time ago. I can't remember how much they were but a quick check on the website lists a price of around $US75.00 for a 12 decal set. I do remember them being very explicit - they wanted to know the year and model, R/LHD and body colour, so presumably this is their take on the decals used by Alfa at the time. That is not to say that they were all used on any particular model and I'm not sure how you would find this out. Maybe the Alfa archives might know.
My 1750GTV, a late model one, has been in the family virtually since new. The only stickers it had were the big lubrication chart, the red one on the radiator cap, the curved one on the air box, a paint code sticker in the boot and the AR Made in Italy sticker on the firewall.
I guess some of them were put in different places - I know the 'Made in Italy' one was on the firewall because it finally fell off a few years ago after about 30 years exposure to exhaust heat, but I've also seen it on the door jamb as in your picture.
The only diagram I've got is the usual one from the Instruction Book below, which isn't much help.
Regards to all,
Chris

PS: BTW paul_hb, I note that you don't seem to own an Alfa at the moment. Why the interest in the decals ?

Attachments

#8 ·
Those items in the Owners Manual (model numbers, serial numbers, etc.) are either small aluminum plaques riveted on or metal stamped into the metal. They are usually not stickers. My Spider color is a decal. Cheers, Bruce

#10 · (Edited)
stickers

I took the enclosed low quality photos (sorry I only had a kid's camera) showing some sticker locations on my 1972 US spec 2000GTV. I had a very original 1974, the locations were the same but some of the stickers changed colors over the years. The ATE sticker could very well be different, this is a replacement booster.

Not shown here: the "non aprire a caldo" sticker on the radiator cap, a Bosch sticker on the alternator and the emissions/tune up data sticker on the inner right fender, just facing the air box. I do not remember if it's installed normally, or upside down to be legible when leaning over the fender.

The decal set shown by Chris 1750 is for an earlier car (well, he HAS an earlier car). The other stickers are non-existent under the hood of a 1974 US car.

Your car should have the color code sticker as shown on the diagram sent by Chris (position 4). I believe no "made in Italy" sticker or plate was originally on your GTV. I've only seen it on Spiders as far as US spec cars are concerned.

Breaking in recommendations were on a clear plastic sleeve slipped over the driver's sun visor. On a Euro spec car, the decal #2 shown by Chris goes at the base of the windshield just above the air vents (there were remnants of this on a 1969 I had).

Other stickers on your car were a "do not drive with rear seat occupied" in middle of rear bench seat and a wide "2000 - fuel injection" at base of rear window.

Chris, the "Non-EP oil" sticker was installed on the gearbox itself, close to the fill plug. These and a red "use EP oil" sticker were used by Alfa in the mid 60s when they changed from steel to moly synchro rings. Moly rings need Extreme Pressure oil (differential oil) while steel rings do not tolerate the EP additive in the oil. Since steel synchro rings have been unavailable for ages (because they didn't last as well) unless you KNOW they are in your gearbox I wouldn't install the sticker as it gives a false information... and it's unlikely a 1750 ever had them to start with.

Attachments

#12 ·
Decals to the right of me, decals to the left of me ....

The email response was that the decals supplied are consistent with the years and models listed on the website (see below). So they are none the wiser either.

Half of them were probably put on by some work experience kid at the Arese factory anyway .....

Chris

Attachments

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.