• 1 Post By malcolm1
  • 1 Post By IanL
  • 1 Post By ShakeyC
  • 1 Post By malcolm1
  • 1 Post By malcolm1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Coolant expansion tank RHD GTV 2000

I have new coolant /radiator expansion tank and straps for RHD GTV 2000 but cannot see how and where the straps fit to engine bay? Is there something that goes behind the straps to which they attach too?

Also another question how is the wiper motor wiring routed through the bulk head?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:20 AM

Don't know the answer to this and may be a dumb question but are you sure your car came with an expansion tank. If nothing else a free bump.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 12:05 PM

Garage
My RHD (originally South African) 75 GT Junior doesn't have an expansion tank - just a radiator cap and overflow pipe. I recall a thread on engine bay photos, perhaps looking through those could be helphul
sbadaro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

I'm not 100% sure I lost some pics/memory card failure however i do have an old tank. Got new one from classic alfa its exactly the same.
Attempted many google searches and it appears it should live in front right corner behind headlights however no idea where the straps strap onto.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 01:52 PM

The expansion tank on a RHD GTV 2000 sits on the right hand inner guard just ahead of the air cleaner. They are also fitted with a unique air cleaner, without a intake duct. Reason for all this was that the unique combination of twin boosters, expansion tank, and carbs.
Attached Images

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)

Last edited by Aggie57; 01-17-2017 at 06:08 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:27 PM

No idea how this would help but... red, my 75 GTV seems to have one... 75 GT Junior doesn't...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 07:35 PM

Mine is a 1969 1750 GTV, but importantly it is RHD, with luck the pictures will show the brackets on the inner guard. My expansion tank is normally out at present, but I've dummied it into position in the first photo, the second photo shows the brackets spot welded to the inner guard, the clamps hook onto the brackets. Does that help at all?
Cheers,
Ian
Attached Images

ShakeyC likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 07:41 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanL View Post
Mine is a 1969 1750 GTV, but importantly it is RHD, with luck the pictures will show the brackets on the inner guard. My expansion tank is normally out at present, but I've dummied it into position in the first photo, the second photo shows the brackets spot welded to the inner guard, the clamps hook onto the brackets. Does that help at all?
Cheers,
Ian
That set up should use the shorter straps that all the Bosch injected spiders used.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanL View Post
Cheers,
Ian
thank you Ian perfect pictures! Mine has one bracket missing that's what was throwing me off how/where the straps went.

I suppose reading so far some came with and without an expansion tank is there a particular reason to use one? (i rather not weld another bracket into a freshly painted engine bay)
sbadaro likes this.

Last edited by ShakeyC; 01-19-2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 11:39 PM

Late here, but similar question. My RHD '75 Junior has the brackets for an expansion tank but no tank-just a pipe leading down under car. I've not had any problems with water loss or overheating, should I put one back in place do you think?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 11:55 PM

Garage
Mine was missing too. Over the weekend, I fitted one that I got from Classic Alfa. As mentioned on the Classic Alfa website, the supplied straps have to be shortened and re-bent to fit a RHD car. The cap is sold separately
Attached Images

spidermale likes this.

1975 GT Junior with 2 litre lump
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm1 View Post
Mine was missing too. Over the weekend, I fitted one that I got from Classic Alfa. As mentioned on the Classic Alfa website, the supplied straps have to be shortened and re-bent to fit a RHD car. The cap is sold separately
Malcolm, I've just been looking at that exact one. Was it straight forward to fit? Just the one pipe to connect?
Thanks.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 02:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermale View Post
Malcolm, I've just been looking at that exact one. Was it straight forward to fit? Just the one pipe to connect?
Thanks.
Yes, very straightforward. Just one pipe that goes from the top of the radiator in to the bottom of the expansion tank. You might even be able to use the one you already have that currently dumps on the floor. Top up the coolant to the top of the radiator and fill the expansion tank to the max.
spidermale likes this.

1975 GT Junior with 2 litre lump
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode