Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Raising Junior: 67 Gt junior Restoration

26K views 103 replies 23 participants last post by  Austin Alfa 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been following some tech tips on Alfa BB, I thought I'd make a thread about my restoration. I bought a 67 GT junior 1300 as an unfinished project, it came with all the repair panels and seals needed to be completed, however it doesn't have a engine and gear box. I am making a video series out of it to make it a little more entertaining.

The channel is called Raising Junior on Youtube. I need more forum cred to post a link...will do so later

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Pete!

I forgot to add this is the first Alfa I ever owned. I have restored a couple of German cars in the past, but I a Gulia gt was always on the bucket list. I made friends with some local Alfa enthusiasts who have been really helpful and gave me some great tips.

Just had a quick look at your threads, I'm sure I'll refer to them at some point :)

#10 ·
Thanks for watching. I've been thinking of some improvements I can make. I'm working on Episode 2 but it might take a while to finish as I plan on making it longer.

For the overall look of the car I want it to look like it was a weekend racer back in the day. No bumpers, better seats (I found a set or very cool Alfa seats ;) and a 1750 cc engine. Colour is yet to be decided probably a solid original colour, but I'm staying away from flashy stickers and decals

#11 ·
Thanks, having some followers is very encouraging! I'm working on episode 2 at the moment. I'm aiming to finish it in a month or so, but the progress on the car dictates when the episode can be wrapped up. Its been a lot of fun so far and I'm glad some family members are helping me out, mostly my dad with the video editing

#14 · (Edited)
Hi Scott,

I used the steering box holes at the front and the trunion bar holes at the back. A friend gave me the plans he made for his spider which included some plates. These plates mount to the holes we mentioned and they have a square hole, large enough for a 50x50 square section to pass through. A small angle iron ties the plates to the 50x50 section. I can send you some PDF via Pm or email if you would like to see them. I'll upload some pictures later

#21 ·
Hi Guys, I thought I'd post an update with some pictures. Still working on the videos but they take really long to finish :)

We finished both door skins, fixing the frames took forever as the left door frame was in really bad shape. They are looking good now and we could use them to set the gaps before welding in the sills

I borrowed a spot welding machine to join the top of the skins to the frames.

The project feels like its moving on quickly as I'm trial fitting the new inner and middle sills with self tapping screws, soon they will be ready for welding

I have to remake one end of the support brace that goes under the floors to fix this abomination of a repair

Cut the bad part out and bent the profile on a bender

I sliced the ends to copy the tapered end and bent the tabs as per original, just needs a larger radius on the ends

Stay tuned for more :)

#27 ·
Thanks Mart, the doors took 3 times longer than I expected, the right wasn't too bad but the left door was almost beyond repair. Take your time with the skins, and try to borrow/rent a spot welder for the door tops, it worked great for us. The manual door skin tool was ok but an pneumatic one might do a better job. The folds on the factory doors are really sharp

#29 ·
Its a useful bit of kit, I started from the centre and alternated the welds from side to side, that will help keep the panel flat. Also use clamps to hold the sheets together the weld might blow through if the 2 sheets have a gap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.