Exhaust recommendations 2 liter - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust recommendations 2 liter

I'm one step ahead of myself - engine about to go back into my 2000, stock headers bolted on. The motor is a typical mild spica build with 10548 intake, motronic pistons and otherwise mostly stock. I want a nice balance of intake and exhaust sounds so I'm looking for something close to stock but maybe a bit more growl. I love the way the Bursch "quiet street" and cat delete opened up the grumble on my 911 without droning or being wife-unfriendly. Any recommendations for the alfa?

'73 GTV bare metal project... nearing 'car' status
E30 Daily - '65 912 project... no longer in waiting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 05:42 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Choices in exhaust sound are kinda like body parts; everyone has these, but mine may be different from yours...

An easy way is to eliminate the stock rear muffler with a "Stinger" straight pipe from Centerline (or have a muffler shop create one). I did this with my '91 spider, but the sound was too "Ricer Boy" for my taste. A local muffler shop welded a small Flowmaster resonator onto the stinger, and the sound was reduced, but still louder than stock, and I am satisfied. Other options are the Magnaflow system discused at some length here, and also the Alfaholics system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-mm View Post
I'm one step ahead of myself - engine about to go back into my 2000, stock headers bolted on. The motor is a typical mild spica build with 10548 intake, motronic pistons and otherwise mostly stock. I want a nice balance of intake and exhaust sounds so I'm looking for something close to stock but maybe a bit more growl. I love the way the Bursch "quiet street" and cat delete opened up the grumble on my 911 without droning or being wife-unfriendly. Any recommendations for the alfa?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:03 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
I love the way the Bursch "quiet street" and cat delete opened up the grumble on my 911 without droning or being wife-unfriendly.
I keep noise reduction headphones in the trunk for when my wife rides in the Spider, so don't copy my single Borla straight - through system.
block likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

It is pretty remarkable that one can have a complete system for $200 (plus shipping). Maybe I'll keep it simple to start with and go from there.

EX001 COMPLETE EXHAUST - GT/GTV - Classic Alfa
alfaparticle and horsewidower like this.

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:07 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Local dyno work here shows stockish engines like the front resonator, so I wouldn't delete that.
Stock headers give the best real-world performance in normal rpm range compared to tube headers, shown from Vandenberg dyno runs in the 70s and 80s. Alfa generally made a pretty good system. My race Super had tube headers, stock center muffler, no front of rear mufflers, and was louder but not "loud" compared to Harleys and whatnot. Fairly modified engine.
Andrew
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:01 AM
Platinum Subscriber

For a near stock engine, I agree but Msiert got an extra 20HP from his Black Spider when he swapped out the stock exhaust and adjusted the cam timing.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 09:11 AM

I'm going back to stock center and rear on my 91 Spider. The P.O. put a Abarth stinger on it and while it sounds alright, I want it less buzzy. Since I needed and new center (dents and dings) I went with Bosal replacements.

current and or past: 1987 Milano (Ariel) 1984 GTV6 (Sabrina) 1992 164L (Jill) 1992 164S (Kelly) 1989 Spider Veloce (Julie) 1991 164L (Chris) 1991 Spider (Melissa)
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 09:13 AM

There is an excellent read on performance improvements for the 2 litre by (I think) Jim Kartalamakis . And, there is a section in that book that speaks specifically to headers. One of the points he makes is that for maximum header performance regardless of what has changed internally each portion of the header needs to be of equal length. He provides pictures and measurements to support his theory. If you were to have a customer header built that would be a good starting point.
http://www.bookdepository.com/Alf-Ro...?ref=grid-view

Last edited by dlbehrns; 09-15-2016 at 09:18 AM.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 09:17 AM

Murray's spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
For a near stock engine, I agree but Msiert got an extra 20HP from his Black Spider when he swapped out the stock exhaust and adjusted the cam timing.
I've ridden in Murray's spider and it is a beast. He has soooo many performance improvements that I can't imagine that the headers and timing alone contributed to a 20 horse improvement. It could have I suppose.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 09:38 AM

Garage
Surprised it wasn't mentioned already, but if you have disposable income, I recommend Alfaholics exhaust system.

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 09:41 AM

Garage
I went with the Alfaholics sports exhaust for the performance gains (dynoed bhp and torque improvements according to their website). While I have not verified this on the 105, I fitted an Alfaholics exhaust system on my 156 GTA and I got a dynoed increase of around 10bhp in performance so I'm prepared to believe their system does give some gains on the 105. The sound is sportier than stock but not excessive (I would actually like a bit more noise but I don't think my wife would).

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-mm View Post
It is pretty remarkable that one can have a complete system for $200 (plus shipping). Maybe I'll keep it simple to start with and go from there.

EX001 COMPLETE EXHAUST - GT/GTV - Classic Alfa
You could always fit the straight through rear section that Classic Alfa do if you want a bit more noise.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 10:00 AM

Garage
I second NigelR. I purchased the alfaholics sports exhaust as well and it is really nice. I also agree that I could do with more noise but over all it is better than stock.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. From reading Jims book and lots of threads here I'm already convinced of keeping the cast headers which I've sandblasted and hitemp painted. The Classicalfa would be a no brainder but shipping doubles the cost. I'll see how the cost compares, delivered, to buying from Centerline who I gather more or less buy whatever Classicalfa & co are selling, mark up for importing and resell. Usually doesn't work in my favor but with an item this bulky, might.

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 11:01 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
I've ridden in Murray's spider and it is a beast. He has soooo many performance improvements that I can't imagine that the headers and timing alone contributed to a 20 horse improvement. It could have I suppose.
First off, I'm jealous. Murray's thread was an inspiration to me and my exhaust was influenced by what he did. His car made about 170 HP with the stock exhaust and over 190 HP with tubular headers, a collector, a 2.5" pipe and a Borla muffler. He reported that the cam lobe centers were moved at the same time.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 01:05 PM

Yes. I believe his spider is an S4 or 5 with the adjustable cam timing thingie. I don't know much about it but, it had lots of power but it did idle a bit rough, understandably so but still very streetable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode