Help removing headlight rings - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Help removing headlight rings

Hi,
As far as I can remember, to remove the headlight rings you push in and turn counter clockwise. This isn't working; the ring won't push in and won't budge. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to use a hammer to try to move them but I can't think of anything else to try. They have not been removed since the body man reassembled the car this spring.
Why does the BB insist on flipping pictures on their side?
Thanks!
Attached Images

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Ken Lee
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON[/FONT]
73 GTV
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by GTV4EVR; 09-04-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:26 AM

Hey '4EVR:

Mine's off and I can't get it back on. Maybe we can trade cars. Do you like blue?

Or maybe I can take a picture of the ring and post it and we can see the shape of the slot and figure out which way it goes. I will go out and snap a picture today.

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iachella View Post
Hey '4EVR:

Mine's off and I can't get it back on. Maybe we can trade cars. Do you like blue?

Or maybe I can take a picture of the ring and post it and we can see the shape of the slot and figure out which way it goes. I will go out and snap a picture today.
😂
Thanks

Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON[/FONT]
73 GTV
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 10:49 AM

Here are some pictures of the slots on the rings. I don't think the ring cares which way they turn. I will post some pictures of the headlight.
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iachella View Post
Here are some pictures of the slots on the rings. I don't think the ring cares which way they turn. I will post some pictures of the headlight.
Thanks

Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON[/FONT]
73 GTV
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 12:18 PM

Just for clarification. There are three sets of those small slots. They are placed 120 degrees apart around the circumference. There is however only one big square cutout shown here. Maybe trying to figure out where the big square cutout slides in will help figure out which way it needs to turn.

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 12:37 PM

Here are the closeups of the headlights.

Bottom.
Left lower.
Left upper.
Right side.
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

The cut out on mine appears a little bigger than yours. It is at about 5 o'clock and won't move even with a hammer. I think only the slots engaged are the ones shown; I can pull the ring outward most of the way around. I seemed to have loosened the light. It's just moving all over the place��

Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON[/FONT]
73 GTV
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 02:42 PM

Garage
It's a pig of a job but you will find this thread very helpful: Headlight Rings

The rings do just twist off, I just waggled them either way until they disengaged from the pins that hold them in place. Mine had a bit of paint and dirt holding them in place and it was not easy, some scratches were made on the paint around the rims. Refitting the inner ones is relatively easy, provided you look at that thread to understand how the tabs all line up. I really struggled with the outers though, I could not fit the new repro parts I had so put the originals back on and the only way I could get them to fit was by bending up the tab at the bottom of the outer ring. I also significantly cut down the rubber surround that goes on top of the light unit as this didn't fit at all well on mine and was getting in the way.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 02:56 PM

I've found that when you take a photo with your phone, the site automatically positions it to have the long side of the photo on the bottom so take your phone-based photos sideways and it will post the correctly. At least that is what I did.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelR View Post
It's a pig of a job but you will find this thread very helpful: Headlight Rings

The rings do just twist off, I just waggled them either way until they disengaged from the pins that hold them in place. Mine had a bit of paint and dirt holding them in place and it was not easy, some scratches were made on the paint around the rims. Refitting the inner ones is relatively easy, provided you look at that thread to understand how the tabs all line up. I really struggled with the outers though, I could not fit the new repro parts I had so put the originals back on and the only way I could get them to fit was by bending up the tab at the bottom of the outer ring. I also significantly cut down the rubber surround that goes on top of the light unit as this didn't fit at all well on mine and was getting in the way.
I've been using a hammer and punch to try to move it with no success. All I seem to be doing is rotating the headlights so they disengage.

Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON[/FONT]
73 GTV
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 01:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV4EVR View Post
I've been using a hammer and punch to try to move it with no success. All I seem to be doing is rotating the headlights so they disengage.
Mine weren't easy to shift but I was able to do it without resorting to anything other than bare hands and swearing. Getting them back on was much harder.

Sounds like you might want to talk to your body man and find out how they reattached them. Maybe even take it over them them and see if they can show you how to take them on and off? I would hope they didn't resort to any "non-standard" way of reattaching them.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 01:45 AM

I assume you've removed the grill pieces so that you can get your finger tips behind the trim rings while your thumbs are on the head lamp. This way you can exert some pull on the ring without pulling the whole head lamp assembly at the same time. Also, while you're pulling it towards you, squeeze or stretch the ring to make its shape a bit oblong. Hopefully you can pop at least one of the three spring clips free, which should make the remaining clips easier to free up. Do the inner rings first. Once they're out of the way, you'll have a bit more finger room for the outer lamp rings.

Ken
'73 GTV

Last edited by bellagt; 09-05-2016 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Added more info
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagt View Post
I assume you've removed the grill pieces so that you can get your finger tips behind the trim rings while your thumbs are on the head lamp. This way you can exert some pull on the ring without pulling the whole head lamp assembly at the same time. Also, while you're pulling it towards you, squeeze or stretch the ring to make its shape a bit oblong. Hopefully you can pop at least one of the three spring clips free, which should make the remaining clips easier to free up. Do the inner rings first. Once they're out of the way, you'll have a bit more finger room for the outer lamp rings.
Hi,
Yes I did remove the grill piece. I can move the ring towards me everywhere except the lower right. It seem that only one set of clips are still engaged. That's why I'm using a hammer and punch to try to turn it. Btw, there is no spring action. I cannot push the ring in at all.

Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON[/FONT]
73 GTV
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 08:26 AM

With two of the spring clips loose, can you get a thin screw driver in between the ring and the head lamp fixture to push out on the side with the third remaining clip to free that one up? Perhaps, that can pop it free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode