Ball joints, tie rods, a-arm bushings, oh my... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Ball joints, tie rods, a-arm bushings, oh my...

I'm trying to diagnose a front end suspension geometry problem, and could use some help.

The outer tie rod ball joint is barely rubbing on the inside on the front left wheel. I can see a mark on the inside of the steel wheel where the circlip on the tie rod is contacting the wheel. I can hear it rubbing under braking.

I put the car up on jackstands, with the front jackstands under the spring pans. Yanking on the wheel, I can't detect any play. I tried putting a crowbar on the lower ball joint, and couldn't make it wiggle.
All of the joints (castor arm ball joints, top arm, lower ball joint, tie rods) look like they've been replaced at one time, and look to be in good condition.

I do need bushings for the front and rear swaybars, but that should have no effect on the location of the wheel in relation to the tie rods.

I'm thinking it has to be the lower ball joints, but they look in good condition. I don't know the condition of the a-arm bushings.

I'd like to order parts today so I can work on it over the holiday weekend.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:52 AM
RIP 9/10/2017

Garage
It sounds like the front end is aligned but the adjustments are skewed. Are the threads on the tie rod ends even on both sides? Once side is LH thread the other RH. Are they installed properly? Did you check the upper A-arm bushings?

'73 1600 Jr. Zagato, '73 GTV, '12 Fiat 500 Abarth
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 11:16 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Even with the car on jack stands the spring will still push on the lower ball joint so you will not be able to feel any play (if there is any).

If the price is right, I would just replace both side lower ball joints and record when done in a maintenance book so you know when you last did them

Is there play in the outer steering tie rod end? as that seems most likely to me.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
ball joints, tie rod ends

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode