Wiper Blade Size issue 1972 GTV - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By malcolm1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Wiper Blade Size issue 1972 GTV

The wiper blades on my Euro 1972 GTV 10501 measure 14" on the driver side and 14.25" on the passenger side. The refills which came on the car are slightly different.

Looking online, where information is always correct?, the recommended size is 16". So, finding no other option, I bought a Trice Correct Fit. They look like they fit when installed, however they interfere as the open and close - especially upon closing when the bind and won't park.

What gives? Should I try 15" or go back to the 14"? On web site lists 13" through 1970, then 16" for the GTV beginning in 1971.

My wiper arms are the ones found on the later 115 US cars with offsets. The operate in the clapping mode.

The 16" wipers appear to cover more windshield than the 14". And the 15" wipers would as well, if they don't bind. Anyone have experience with this problem? Solution?

--TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 03:21 PM

I use a shorter blade on the passenger side to avoid this problem, but still give a good 'sweep'. Are the arms oriented correctly in the resting position?

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

The arms are in the correct parked position. Which sizes do you use? 16" - 15" or 15" - 14"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 01:45 PM

Garage
Mine are 13" - both sides. Sourced from Classic Alfa and I think the same size as when I got the car. Even with these, I had to careful position the arm to avoid a clash
nunki likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 05:36 PM

I have twin 13" on both an early gtv and spider. Something else may fit but---- Not sure where 16" comes from. I can't imagine how it would work.

Frank Livesay Huntsville, AL
Green Alfa - 68 Canadian 1750 Spider Veloce (driver)
White Alfa - 68 Euro 1750 GTV (needs a refresh)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

I finally decided on 14", and they work fine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 04:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Should the wipers on the GTV park with the driver's side wiper on top?
Thanks!

Ya say ya don't have a ticket, walk in backwards, they'll think you're coming out!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 01:46 AM

Garage
That's how I've arranged mine - after looking at images on line. I guess the whole set-up is symmetrical - so it will work equally well both ways
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 02:54 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to richardlamsdale
My car is a UK right-hand drive, and the wipers parked with the drivers side (right side) below the passenger side. This left a large unswept area on the right of the screen, so I moved the arms around on the splines and bent the arms slightly so the drivers side parked above the passenger side, with both arms parallel when parked. The unswept area is now on the passenger side. It's been like this for 10+ years now and seems a worthwhile change.

I assume the wipers were originally designed for lhd and the factory didn't bother changing things for rhd cars.

1972 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV.
1968 Rover P5B Coupe.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 05:16 PM
Fwiw I use 16" Trico blades with my '69 and have no issues. Driver's side (LH) sits on top. To be truthful I'm not certain if the arms are the ones that were originally on this car (J hook ends) but they work...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm1 View Post
That's how I've arranged mine - after looking at images on line. I guess the whole set-up is symmetrical - so it will work equally well both ways
Sounds like the wiper arms varied by year and market. I can say that the US 2000GTV had asymmetrical wiper arms with the driver's (left) arm 9" in length from the shaft attachment to the "kink" and the passenger (right) side is shorter at 8.25." Thus the driver's wiper blades will rest at a slightly higher point on the windshield than the passenger side

Ken
'73 GTV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode