GTV Flasher Circuit - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

GTV Flasher Circuit

I'm expecting I will need flashers to pass MA inspection. Below are my thoughts based on a bit of research here. My goals are to not cut into any stock wiring or mess with the stock appearance.

I'll add 3 new wires into the existing circuits using piggy back terminal connectors. There will be no cutting or use of splice connectors.

For example the terminal 49a of the flasher I can plug in a new jumper to my hazard switch and use the piggy back to connect the stock black connector to the existing turn signal switch.
In the same manner I can run the other side of my hazard switch to each turn signal circuit via the positive indicator lamp connections. Again i will use the piggy back to handle the stock indicator feeds. Two diodes will ensure that when the normal turn signal is switched it doesn't back feed through my hazard switch and run both left and right sides.

The SPST switch will be located in an accessible place but not cutting into my restored dash. Its a simple covered toggle to avoid inadvertent use. Seem solid?
Attached Images

68' Parisian Alfa GTV 1750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 03:55 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
British wiring has the real deal spade terminals.
Attached Images

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBertone View Post
Seem solid?
Yes, your circuit should work just fine.

Note that if you use a double pole switch, you can eliminate the need for the diodes. The signal from flasher pole 49a would go to one pair of terminals on the DP switch, while the leads to the L and R lights go to the mating pair.

Quote:
I'm expecting I will need flashers to pass MA inspection.
It is interesting that Massachusetts requires flashers on a car that was not built with them originally. Why flashers but not airbags and anti-lock brakes?

But hey - adding flashers is easy and they are worth having.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 04-05-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Yes, your circuit should work just fine.

Note that if you use a double pole switch, you can eliminate the need for the diodes. The signal from flasher pole 49a would go to one pair of terminals on the DP switch, while the leads to the L and R lights go to the mating pair.
Simpler yet. I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
It is interesting that Massachusetts requires flashers on a car that was not built with them originally.
They may not require it - I'll see. I am preparing and agree they are good to have. My car also has the yellow headlights of France pre 1994 and that won't meet the two white front facing light requirement. So I swapped the outers. I'll keep the yellows for posterity.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
British wiring has the real deal spade terminals.
Nice. There is something about the colored crimp connectors that seem cheap. I like the regular ones with heat shrink.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 07:28 PM

Garage
I know this is a very old thread, but MA does not require flashers on cars that didn't come with the originally.
I have a 1964 and a 1954 car, neither of which has emergency flashers, just turn signals.
I've been told each year when I get my inspection that it's fine as long as the car wasn't originally equipped with emergency flashers.

John F.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode