Interior Door Panel stuck on 1972 Alfa 115 GTV - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Interior Door Panel stuck on 1972 Alfa 115 GTV

I am replacing my passenger side interior door panel. The driver side came of with no problems (however I thought I might not be able to install the new one - another story).

I removed ALL of the screws, and the panel swings freely away from the door pivoting on the horizontal chrome strip, bit it won't drop down. It appears to either be stuck after 44 years, or it is somehow attached under the chrome strip. Since the driver's side wasn, I don't think the passenger side is.

I tried running a thin new Bondo spreader between the panel and chrome strip. It world not fit at first. Then after several passes, it would slide in a bit is a few places, but not enough to free the panel.

any ideas what is going on there, or how to break the panel free? It is actually a very good panel, so I'd like to keep it in good condition. I'm only changing it because the one I installed on the other door is slightly different.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 03:10 PM

I would guess that it is more likely stuck on the back side between the fiber panel and the door frame. I assume you still have the thin vinyl vapor barrier between the door frame and interior panel. If not the glue they used to hold the vinyl in place may be the culprit. A long thin blade, like a pastry chef's frosting knife, would work well to reach back in there to break free any places where it could be adhering. Otherwise, there are no mechanical fasteners... you may have to just pull harder.

Ken
'73 GTV
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

It does not appear to be stuck to the plastic, rather to the chrome strip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 04:09 PM

Garage
In the warm sun, try some WD-40 or Armor All between the vinyl and the trim... Keep trying (carefully), as Ken said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode