Seat belts and Hand Brake light - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Seat belts and Hand Brake light

Hello Everyone,

i wanted to install 3 point seat belts, as the ones that came with the car are old, hard to put on (especially for the passenger) and might be a bit unsafe. Any brand that anyone recommends more than another?

Also my hand brake light is always on on the dashboard, wether the hand brake is up or down, could you give me a heads up on what to look for? Sometimes it goes on and off intermittently.

Thank you all for the input..best Antonio!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 05:16 PM

Garage
Antonio,

I hear you on the lap belts... I'm using the original ones as well.

Regarding the hand brake light; Under the vinyl (or leather) hand brake cover, the switch in question will be visible. It may have dislodged itself from the mounting tab or in need of a slight adjustment... it's fairly easy to do.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 06:27 PM

Some on the BB have recommended "Wesco" seat belts. Use the Search function with that key word and some threads will pop up.

If you're brake warning light is on and all seems to be working ok, it could be a stuck brake pressure light switch. Pop open the hood and just to the rear of the SPICA fuel filter, on the passenger side of the engine bay, you'll find some hard tubing that is screwed into a small black manifold. At the top center of that manifold is a switch with an orange wire. Pull the wire from the switch to create an open circuit and see if the brake light goes out. If it does, the switch is stuck in the closed position.

Ken
'73 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74 GTV View Post
Antonio,

I hear you on the lap belts... I'm using the original ones as well.

Regarding the hand brake light; Under the vinyl (or leather) hand brake cover, the switch in question will be visible. It may have dislodged itself from the mounting tab or in need of a slight adjustment... it's fairly easy to do.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagt View Post
Some on the BB have recommended "Wesco" seat belts. Use the Search function with that key word and some threads will pop up.

If you're brake warning light is on and all seems to be working ok, it could be a stuck brake pressure light switch. Pop open the hood and just to the rear of the SPICA fuel filter, on the passenger side of the engine bay, you'll find some hard tubing that is screwed into a small black manifold. At the top center of that manifold is a switch with an orange wire. Pull the wire from the switch to create an open circuit and see if the brake light goes out. If it does, the switch is stuck in the closed position.
I will check that thank you, i ordered the seat belts after some research.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 06:45 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio105 View Post
Thank you

I will check that thank you, i ordered the seat belts after some research.
I'm in the market also. Could you let us know which seat belts you ordered and your opinion on these. Thanks, James

1970 GTV (owned since 1987)
1985 GTV2.5
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by james2000 View Post
I'm in the market also. Could you let us know which seat belts you ordered and your opinion on these. Thanks, James
Will do - Ill try to make a video
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

I disconnected the orange wire and the brake light stayed on...

How do i remove the carpet to access the switch under the handbrake?

thank you!
Attached Images

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 06:06 PM

Garage
Gently remove the vinyl or leather cover and the carpet it's attached to... that piece is generally tucked under the square cutout of the main carpet.

Slide the handbrake carpet piece over the handbrake lever and out of the way... the switch will be visible.

Access is tight, but you should be able to see what is causing the switch to not operate properly when the handbrake is applied and released... switch mounting position, chafed, pinched wire or some other issue.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 08:33 AM

Assume the brake fluid level and level switches in both chambers have been checked (before digging around the carpet)....
Antonio105 likes this.

Ken
'73 GTV
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74 GTV View Post
Gently remove the vinyl or leather cover and the carpet it's attached to... that piece is generally tucked under the square cutout of the main carpet.

Slide the handbrake carpet piece over the handbrake lever and out of the way... the switch will be visible.

Access is tight, but you should be able to see what is causing the switch to not operate properly when the handbrake is applied and released... switch mounting position, chafed, pinched wire or some other issue.
thank you very much - I will do that

Quote:
Assume the brake fluid level and level switches in both chambers have been checked (before digging around the carpet)....
I will add some brake fluid and check the switches. Thank you
antonio
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 05:57 PM

Hi Antonio,

I used the Wesco S404-2-1000, 3 point retractable roadster seatbelts in my 1750 GTV.

These have the retractor reel up high (above the ashtray) on the side of the car behind your shoulder.

The retractor works at any angle, unlike the one that is floor mounted that needs to be at or close to 90 degrees. Installation is a breeze.

I also found that these belts are much more comfortable across the shoulder. They also come with the old style chrome flap buckle.

Cheers,
Wazza.

"horsepower sells cars - torque wins races".
1969 MK1 1750 GTV
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTVMk1 View Post
Hi Antonio,

I used the Wesco S404-2-1000, 3 point retractable roadster seatbelts in my 1750 GTV.

These have the retractor reel up high (above the ashtray) on the side of the car behind your shoulder.

The retractor works at any angle, unlike the one that is floor mounted that needs to be at or close to 90 degrees. Installation is a breeze.

I also found that these belts are much more comfortable across the shoulder. They also come with the old style chrome flap buckle.

Cheers,
Wazza.
Great i got home and the package was there! I got the same ones! I will do a install/review this weekend with images.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wesco S404-2-1000 installation

AS promised here are some picture of the very straight forward install. As GTVmk1 has mentioned these seat belts offered great comfort and a huge improvement over stock and "unsafe" original, which will find a dry place in my garage regardless.

Install is unbolt, bolt, adjust...
Attached Images

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bokrdah71...A8gJDB8-a?dl=0

all the pictures can be found here..
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I was not able to figure out the brake light still on...brake fluid is there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode