LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:12 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mound Dawg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself
BTW you can make a GT as light as a GTA so there is NO racing advantage.
100% wrong there! We've built up a few real GTAs for FIA racing and it's surprisingly difficult to get them down to the homologated 760kgs. You'd have absolutely no chance of getting a steel bodied car down to that weight and the FIA wouldn't let you anyway! The steel bodied cars have to run at a much higher weight than the GTA because the allowed weight is based on the weight of the stock car.
I meant by drilling lighten holes, etc. but I guess the FIA would not allow that. So why not race in a different series then? Just as much fun.

This sounds like a wanting to play with the rich boys, or be part of the "scene" sort of thing ...

Anyway yes they can do what they like but we can all 100% guarantee that in years to come this car will be confused as a real car. Even if you stamped REPLICA in the firewall somebody will remove that to make a buck.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 02:35 PM

Garage
Yeah, best of luck drilling 200kg of holes in a Sprint GT.

You think we don't already do this with the GTAs?
simon johnson likes this.

We're gonna make you an Alfa you can't refuse.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
...This sounds like a wanting to play with the rich boys, or be part of the "scene" sort of thing ...
Pete
In my mind if you can afford to reskin in Aluminum you ARE the rich boys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
...Anyway yes they can do what they like but we can all 100% guarantee that in years to come this car will be confused as a real car. Even if you stamped REPLICA in the firewall somebody will remove that to make a buck.
Pete
I think the only thing more popular than a 100% factory original is arguing about its authenticity!!

Pete: The problem with you is that no one knows where you stand. If you could just voice your opinion once in a while ...
IanL likes this.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 11:20 AM

Garage
Well he's not on the fence, that's for sure!

We're gonna make you an Alfa you can't refuse.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 03:20 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to simon johnson
[QUOTE=Mound Dawg;6611970]Yeah, best of luck drilling 200kg of holes in a Sprint GT. QUOTE]

...this comment made me laugh out loud!
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 08:27 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon johnson View Post
Quote:
Yeah, best of luck drilling 200kg of holes in a Sprint GT.

I was meaning a fully gutted wild race car that could not enter any classic events (fibreglass doors/bonnet/boot, drilled chassis rails, etc.). We do sometimes forget that there are other excellent race series out there not just historic or classic stuff.

Anyway undoubtedly we will enjoy the debate about this car authenticity in the future
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 10:15 PM

So all of us who are putting good, solid, HEAVY metal back into our cars will be WAY behind the 8 ball in the weight stakes.

Could poor rust protection have really been part of a grand Alfa plan to create a fleet of lightweight racers to clean up 30 years later in the Historics? Wow!

BTW...where has the thread starter gone? Did he just light the fuse and run, or is that him I can hear giggling in the background?

Last edited by Ranz; 11-16-2015 at 10:20 PM.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz

BTW...where has the thread starter gone? Did he just light the fuse and run, or is that him I can hear giggling in the background?
BTW: Just wondering that a guy like him (just having read the annual report of the company he represents as CEO) needs to build a potentially 'perfect piece of fake' which at the end might not be that far away from a price tag of a real GTA. So may be he should afford buying a true car ?
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:19 AM

Release the hounds!

If I were the the threadstarter I would surely leave this party, no fun here!

Torstein
www.flattjern.com
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 07:58 AM
Gold Subscriber

Fake GTAs-

Nobody loves these cars like I do, why someone would want to go to the time and expense to build a "replica" like this is beyond me. Why not take/find a real one and restore it and save yourself the necessary stories or explanations that go with a fake one. In my opinion the real bits should be put to use on real cars. Everyone is free to do as they please of course, this is only my opinion, thanks, Fred.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 01:19 AM

I'm not paying for this guy's car and will never drive it, so I don't care what he builds. I do understand, however, why using precious original GTA parts on a recreation or copycat car is frustrating to those who are trying to keep the originals in good shape. Perhaps the builders of recreation-replica-copycat cars should be encouraged to use new parts that are in the style of the originals, and then we can all be happy when someone builds a cool new toy.

By the way, this guy is more than welcome to join Scuderia Non Originale.

Gary Williams
Many Alfas. All gone, but none forgotten
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 04:53 AM
Gold Subscriber

I sure as heck wouldn't pay a premium for a Normale Giulietta or fault them for it if it had a couple of Webs bolted on but I would drop the hammer if they tried to sell me a Veloce assuming of course I could afford it. I suppose the GTA thing is the ultimate manifestation of that approach.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 09:25 AM

This is friend's GTjr which, after a serious crash, was rebuilt into a GTA style vintage racer using reproduction parts and aluminum panels. The work was beautifully done and the resulting car is a fine vintage racer you can see a CVAR races. Neither the builder nor the owner make any pretense that this car is a "GTA" which it obviously isn't. What it is, however, is a an Alfa built "in the style" of a GTA---nothing more, nothing less.

For what it's worth (about the value of free advice . . .) is that cars like this fit solidly into the category of "period modifications". It's worth mentioning that it was entirely possible back in the day to order 105.32 or, in my case, 105.16 parts from Alfa to your heart's content and then install them on otherwise standard Jrs and GTV's.

And the people who dipped into the parts bins the most were the factory guys who gleefully constructed back-room specials with all manner of "unobtanium" go-faster parts. Finding out that those parts actually had part numbers and could be actually ordered proved to be a very tempting proposition back-in-the-day. I ordered a few myself . . .
Attached Images

Raton and impaw like this.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 08:27 AM

[quote=simon johnson;6614386]
Quote:
Yeah, best of luck drilling 200kg of holes in a Sprint GT. QUOTE]

Me too, still laughing!
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 10:48 AM

I had to laugh also and think at swiss cheese and this is what i like to be here.
In fact, the real difference between the bare shells is naturly not 200 kg ! We also restored some GTAs the last 30 years , racecars and stradales , about 20 . The 200kg weight differences is also on paper!!! Take a GTA stradale , he neves has 760 KG. Yes , you have to bore out wholes in GTAs also to reach the homologated weight. And beware of late 1300 GTAs and the 848... GTA 1600 ( 1300 case with 1600 engines) , they are horrible heavy , cause the missing of much leightweight parts from the early 1600 ( mostly electron parts due to much warrenty works from Alfa like the engine front cover from electron ) A indicates aleggeritta and not Aluminium!!! means weight saving in nearly all parts . Nevertheless , we never compared the weight of a bare shell GT with a GTA . The next GTA bare shell we will weight for exact dates.

A friend of mine has build a GTAm replica with much original parts of our stock , weight is arround 800 kg. Problem is , he cannot race historic events with this due the homologated weight is 910 ?? i dont know exact.

But comming to the discussion: in germany its illegal to drive those " replicas " roadlegal for following reasons:

The car is not fabricated in this form from Alfa Romeo , so has no homologation ( ABE) . Steel parts have to steel and not alu or plastik.If you use much new produced parts without ABE , its more critical than modification with original parts. NOS parts have the homologation from Alfa Romeo, parts from ..... i will not take names , dont have any homologation in germany!!!!mainly self created brake callipers are not allowed in road use! Perhaps nobody will controll this , but beware , if you have an accident with people death or so. The insurance will do the best for paying nothing! And experts will care the inner to out of those cars.

regards Uli

Alfa 1600 GTA Autodelta Alfa 1300 GTA/J Autodelta 4V Alfa GTAm Alfa GTV6 DPM GP A Ex-Dr.Marko
Baumgarten-Automobiltechnik.de

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode