1972 GT Junior "Restoration" -- Naples, Italy - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 285 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Not much progress at all on the car over Thanksgiving. Spent a lot of time in the garage, but mostly straightening, organizing, etc. Getting close to being done with that and will focus on the car.

One question -- how do you get the front grille off? The pot metal center piece is giving me fits. Looks like once I get it off, the rest will be fairly easy, but I can't figure out how it's attached at the top.

Thanks,

Scott

72 GTV; 66 Fairlane GT convt, 428, 4 sp; 68 GTO Convt, owner built 455 and TH400; 71 Javelin road race project, owner built 401, T10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 285 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:37 PM

You have to prise the badge off...carefully. Behind it is the securing screw...
post #18 of 285 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 05:40 AM

get yourself a parts manual. Not a shop but a parts manual. This will give you a very good idea of location, order of mounting/dismountig parts etc.
Find one for your year of car.

E bay, the fora etc..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 285 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlinista View Post
get yourself a parts manual. Not a shop but a parts manual. This will give you a very good idea of location, order of mounting/dismountig parts etc.
Find one for your year of car.

E bay, the fora etc..
Good idea; don't know what I haven't thought of this already. I have model specific manuals for all of my American cars.

Thanks,

Scott

72 GTV; 66 Fairlane GT convt, 428, 4 sp; 68 GTO Convt, owner built 455 and TH400; 71 Javelin road race project, owner built 401, T10
post #20 of 285 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
You have to prise the badge off...carefully. Behind it is the securing screw...
Ok, that was a 2 minute job after I knew what to look for. Also removed the grilles, headlights, and headlight buckets, too.

Need to get the front bumper off next.

And then I'll start on the engine. My cherry picker/engine hoist is 5,000 miles from here, but I should be able to rig something up to get the engine out.

Any preference on pulling engine and transmission? Together or separately? I may not have the ability to tilt the engine/trans combo to get both out at the same time, so I'd prefer to drop the trans first and just pull the engine out by itself.

Thanks,

Scott

post #21 of 285 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Progress continues, but not at breakneck speed. Getting ready to yank the engine. Ordered a chain hoist/chain fall and will see if I can fab up an A-frame to hang it from.

Headed out of town (Sarajevo) but only for a few days. Will get back on it when I return.

Antonio105 likes this.

post #22 of 285 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Crazy week here. Got back from Bosnia (Sarajevo) on Wednesday, only to find out that I had to leave for Ethiopia on Thursday. However, after my flight from Naples to Frankfurt, I was called back to the mother ship; trip canceled. Painful trying to get back to Naples – I flew from Frankfurt to Munich to catch a connecting flight to Naples, but the flight to Naples was canceled. So I spent the night in Munich. Next day, I flew back to Frankfurt and caught a flight to Naples.

So instead of a weekend spent in Ethiopia, I was home and able to get a bit of work done. Can’t really tell by looking at the car, but I was fairly productive –

-Got the brake booster/master cylinder out, along with the clutch master cylinder.

-Got the brake and clutch pedals out, and made up a few new curse words in the process.

-Front wiring harness is almost out.

-Intake manifold off.

-Exhaust manifold/exhaust off. I loves me some Kroil – this stuff is great for loosening up stuck/rusted bolts.

-Water pump off.

-Shifter out.

-One crossmember out – this one appears to be mainly for the driveshaft. Still have to get the transmission crossmember off.

-Front bumper off.

-Inner fender covers out – had to drill out about 5 rivets on each side. Was quite pleased to see how nice the sheetmetal looked behind the covers. The actual covers are in good shape, too.

Headed to Berlin for a few days of vacation this weekend. Should be able to spend some time on it in the next few weeks. Plan was to have disassembly complete by 1 January, and I don’t know if that’s going to happen.

Next step will be to pull the engine and trans. Had planned to drop the bellhousing and trans out the bottom, but that’s before I decided to fab up a wooden gantry to hang a chain hoist from. Now I may pull them as a unit.
cuorealfa likes this.

post #23 of 285 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Gold Subscriber

hello bulletproof nice project you got going, I was wondering if you ever went to the island of Procida or Ischia I'm originally from there ,last time I visited 2012 had a blast ciao Ben

Ben Serpico. 74 gtv 75 alfetta 76 gtv
post #24 of 285 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuorealfa View Post
hello bulletproof nice project you got going, I was wondering if you ever went to the island of Procida or Ischia I'm originally from there ,last time I visited 2012 had a blast ciao Ben
Ben -

I haven't been to either yet, but we'll probably hit Procida soon.

Ciao,

Scott

post #25 of 285 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 08:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hi Scott glad if you make it to Procida its a lot quieter than Ischia not as crowded ,keep the progress going on your Alfa they are beautiful machines.ciao Buon Natale

Ben Serpico. 74 gtv 75 alfetta 76 gtv
post #26 of 285 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuorealfa View Post
Hi Scott glad if you make it to Procida its a lot quieter than Ischia not as crowded ,keep the progress going on your Alfa they are beautiful machines.ciao Buon Natale
Grazie and Buon Natale,

Scott

post #27 of 285 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Fellas -

Curious about whether my car is a Series 3 or a Series 4. 1972, smooth nose but has the four vents in the front valance instead of two (see picture in post 22). I thought the two headlight cars had two vents, so I figured someone swapped another front cap onto it at some point, but I'm not seeing any evidence of this yet.

Below is cut and pasted from PapaJam:

The Junior came in 4 versions; Series 1 - Series 4.

Series 1 - stepnose, flat dash
Series 2 - stepnose, 1750 dash
Series 3 - smooth nose w/2 headlights
Series 4 - smooth nose w/4 headlights (looks like a 2L)

post #28 of 285 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 03:38 AM

Garage
It looks like a S3, similar to a late 1750 GTV. If it was a S4 almost all parts would be 2000 GTV type.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
post #29 of 285 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 01:29 PM

why on earth remove water pump with engine in place if you are going to remove the engine anyway? Pulling an engine is a two hour job at most. If inexperienced maybe 3 or 4.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 285 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlinista View Post
why on earth remove water pump with engine in place if you are going to remove the engine anyway? Pulling an engine is a two hour job at most. If inexperienced maybe 3 or 4.

I was wondering the same thing. I think it would take longer to remove the water pump than to pull the engine. But I suppose it can't hurt...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode