Is it normal to trim the door stop? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Is it normal to trim the door stop?

Hi,

I have adjusted my door latch so that it closes more easily however I have moticed that the rubber door stop on the lower portion of the door jamb is pushing the door out at the bottom, when opening the door with the handle it springs open with the force.

Is it normal to have to trim the rubber stop, mine looks like it's already been trimmed to a degree.

Thanks

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 11:50 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Am I correct in assuming that before the adjustment this did not happen?

Please note the rubber stop (I assume you are talking about the wedge shaped rubber stop that is on the end of the door frame) can be adjusted in it's position. Just loosen the screws and relocate, then tighten.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Am I correct in assuming that before the adjustment this did not happen?

Please note the rubber stop (I assume you are talking about the wedge shaped rubber stop that is on the end of the door frame) can be adjusted in it's position. Just loosen the screws and relocate, then tighten.
Pete
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the fast response.

To be honest I hadn't noticed, my main concern was getting the nose of the latch to stop striking the catch mechanism and slowly wearing it away and creating a massive burr.

It is the wedge shaped rubber stop, I did try loosening the screws but there was no apparent movement horizontally.

I'm going to take it off competely today to see if it is the problem, if the door closes with a good shut line without the wedge shaped rubber then it's that causing the problem.

Cheers

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:24 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Hmmm ... I thought you could move the rubber wedge around by a few mm's in any direction as the screws used a smaller than the square holes.

BTW: Are your door hinges free of any play as that is where you should start. These doors are heavy.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Hmmm ... I thought you could move the rubber wedge around by a few mm's in any direction as the screws used a smaller than the square holes.

BTW: Are your door hinges free of any play as that is where you should start. These doors are heavy.
Pete
Yup, I've tried lifting the doors at very open angles and the whole car moves, the doors are solid.

Here's a vid I made, passenger side closes like a dream.

chinocapuchino likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So, I removed the rubber thingy and no different, I've seen a great video by vintage customs that talks about the door seal, and mine is very hard, so wondering if it has hardened and this is what is causing the problem with oushing the door out.

It's another thing to try.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 12:55 PM

Garage
The replacement door seals are notoriously difficult to fit and get a good shut. BTW search this forum, there are some good threads about replacing door seals. If your door seals are original they are unlikely to be the cause of the problem (unless they have come adrift somewhere). Mine are the original ones and don't fit well around the driver's window because they have shrunk and become a bit hard but I haven't dared to replace them as they are well moulded to the shape of the doors which close nicely.

Last edited by NigelR; 10-22-2015 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Spelling!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelR View Post
The replacement door seals are notoriously difficult to fit and get a good shut. BTW search this forum, there are some good threads about replacing door seals. If your door seals are original they are unlikely to be the cause of the problem (unless they have come adrift somewhere). Mine are the original ones and don't fit well around the driver's window because they have shrunk and become a bit hard but I haven't dared to replace them as they are well moulded to the shape of the doors which close nicely.
Yup, Jim over on AO pointed me towards a video which has been a great help, iirc the door seal on the drivers side looks a bit crushed out of shape and has hardened like that, not sure if there's a way to soften old rubber thats ossified.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Platinum Subscriber

One way the old car guys use to bring back old rubber is to soak it in vinegar...don't quite know how to do it with the door seal in place tho
chuck
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:11 PM

Just picking up on PSK's suggestion about hinge play, and your answer "I've tried the door at VERY open angles..." Did you mean "every angle" rather than "very open" (wide open?) - you are more likely to detect any hinge pin slop when the door is just opened rather than wide open. I suspect it was just a typo/auto-correct thing....but just in case...
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
Just picking up on PSK's suggestion about hinge play, and your answer "I've tried the door at VERY open angles..." Did you mean "every angle" rather than "very open" (wide open?) - you are more likely to detect any hinge pin slop when the door is just opened rather than wide open. I suspect it was just a typo/auto-correct thing....but just in case...
Yes, every open angle
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Yup, I've tried lifting the doors at very open angles and the whole car moves, the doors are solid.

Here's a vid I made, passenger side closes like a dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIpm7VzoBxg
My door looks very similar to this. Same sort of shut lines.

Its almost as if the needs lift to get it to latch/unlatch
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevr84 View Post
My door looks very similar to this. Same sort of shut lines.

Its almost as if the needs lift to get it to latch/unlatch
73GTVJim on AO pointed me in the direction of this video, there's a big chunk about halfway in about seal quality and door adjustment

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4driver View Post
One way the old car guys use to bring back old rubber is to soak it in vinegar...don't quite know how to do it with the door seal in place tho
chuck
I saw a tip online to get silicone spray, dose the rubber liberally with it and then bag it in an air tight bag for a few days.

Dunno if there's some sort of impregnation thing that happens.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
73GTVJim on AO pointed me in the direction of this video, there's a big chunk about halfway in about seal quality and door adjustment

https://youtu.be/5017Q0M7pgM

cool thanks. Will watch that when the wifes watching downton abbey (or something similarly shite)
GhostyDog and Alistair Muir like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode