Swedish -65 GT restoration - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Swedish -65 GT restoration

Hi!
I am a 40 year old Swede and i just started the rebuild of my 1965 1600 Giulia Sprint GT.
The car has been still since 1981 and i bought it from my uncle who parked it in his garage -81 after some electrical problems.
i remember rides in the car when i was a kid and i thought it was a cool car then, and i still do
My uncle bought a -68 1300 Junior instead and restored that one instead, planning to restore the 1600 later, but instead i bought it!

First plan was to fix the electrical and brakes, then have fun with it a few summers before the big restoration! The rust was "repaired" to the car before my uncle bought it in the late 70´s.
The old rustrepairs was not the best, but after i found an old repaired crash i decide to do a "total" rebuild.

This will take some years to do........

Here it is when i picked it up a few years ago!

Cool 70´s look with the black grille
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got this information about my car from Marco Fazio

"According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 614101 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT (105.02), manufactured on the 25th March 1965 and sold on the 8th April 1965 in Stockholm, Sweden.
The body colour is Alfa red, with black (“nero fumo”) skai interiors."

Here are some of the old "repairs".
Galvanized sheet metal riveted up on the old paint and rust! then alot of bondo and paint.

on the other side the repair was at least brazed. then bondo

post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Some more progress, I try to attach some pics but got a message that i need to have 10 posts before i can attach pics??

Have removed most of the car now, except for engine and suspension/axles. and started to rebuild the Dunlop brakes.
Pics will come later when i can attach them!

I found out that my car doesn´t have the inner "double skin"
behind the rear wheel! is that correct for early cars?
it looks untouched there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How do i remove the horn button?
need to take the steeringwheel out but can not find out how the horn button is attached to the wheel?

Alfa 1600 Giulia Sprint GT 1965. Alfa 159 SW 2007.
Ford Roadster 1936. Ford Kustom 1950 "The New Panoramic Ford".
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Original GT wheel with central horn button, I assume...

My recollection is that the whole central plastic unit (including the central horn button) is a press-fit into the alloy centre of the wheel. It is held there by small spring steel wire 'springs' around the perimeter of the unit, pressing against the wall of the steering wheel central hole.

The springs are firm enough, but not overly strong - you should be able to prise the whole unit out of the wheel centre by inserting a thin blade or screw driver behind the plastic unit and gently prising it out/forward. Work slowly around the whole unit, the spring wire will 'walk' or slide up the walls of the hole as the unit comes out, finally coming forward far enough to release.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 05:22 PM

Garage
Good luck on the restoration. You definitely have some work on your hands repairing those past "repairs"...
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rantz, Thank you for that advice. i got it out with that help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
Original GT wheel with central horn button, I assume...

My recollection is that the whole central plastic unit (including the central horn button) is a press-fit into the alloy centre of the wheel. It is held there by small spring steel wire 'springs' around the perimeter of the unit, pressing against the wall of the steering wheel central hole.

The springs are firm enough, but not overly strong - you should be able to prise the whole unit out of the wheel centre by inserting a thin blade or screw driver behind the plastic unit and gently prising it out/forward. Work slowly around the whole unit, the spring wire will 'walk' or slide up the walls of the hole as the unit comes out, finally coming forward far enough to release.

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks!
Yes the old "repairs" will take some time to repair
but at-least the doors looks to be in good condition with only some rust and cracks around the door handle!
Might change to GTA handles and buttons there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepinci View Post
Good luck on the restoration. You definitely have some work on your hands repairing those past "repairs"...

post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedeshoebox View Post
Thanks!
Yes the old "repairs" will take some time to repair
but at-least the doors looks to be in good condition with only some rust and cracks around the door handle!
Might change to GTA handles and buttons there?
GTA door handles do look excellent, but some fabrication is required. If you decide to go that route, I believe Alfaholics makes the handle and template needed for install.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:14 AM

Oh! Another swede! Var finns du i vårt avlånga land?

My 1750 GT is rusted at the same places, behind the front wheels. One should really do something about that water draining system, it really destroys that area by water and moisture getting stuck.

Alfetta GT - 75'
1750 GTV - 70'
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes Alfaholics have the handles and buttons, but they sell them with keyholes in both buttons! original was keyhole in just the driverside!? if im right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepinci View Post
GTA door handles do look excellent, but some fabrication is required. If you decide to go that route, I believe Alfaholics makes the handle and template needed for install.

Jag finns i Munkedal. On the swedish west coast!
and where are you from?

is your car ready for the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtuner View Post
Oh! Another swede! Var finns du i vårt avlånga land?

My 1750 GT is rusted at the same places, behind the front wheels. One should really do something about that water draining system, it really destroys that area by water and moisture getting stuck.

post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Jag finns i Munkedal. On the swedish west coast!
and where are you from?

is your car ready for the road?
Oh okey! i'm from Kristianstad on the east coast so it's a bit!

No, it's currently being totally disassembled, it's been sitting for 13 years in a barn. I just got the engine and gearbox out and is currently working with the suspension. Just gonna tear it down, fix the rust, refurbish and repaint it, put it back together and change the engine to a Twin Spark.

A lot of work to be done.

Alfetta GT - 75'
1750 GTV - 70'
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes it´s a lot of work to do! but at-least for me it´s also fun
are you installing a "standard" or modified TS?

Quote:
Oh okey! i'm from Kristianstad on the east coast so it's a bit!

No, it's currently being totally disassembled, it's been sitting for 13 years in a barn. I just got the engine and gearbox out and is currently working with the suspension. Just gonna tear it down, fix the rust, refurbish and repaint it, put it back together and change the engine to a Twin Spark.

A lot of work to be done.

post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Yes it´s a lot of work to do! but at-least for me it´s also fun
are you installing a "standard" or modified TS?
Absolutely, it's very fun and very educating as well!
I think also it's very special when there is a lot of family history with the cars, as in both our cases. My father actually owned the car i have now for about 10 years, during the 80s to the early 90s, it was his crown jewel. I found it by coincidence in a barn and brought it back home, so now i am slowly bringing it back to life. It's really nice to know all the history of the car as well, as the guy i bought it from, was the guy my father sold it to via a dealer back in '93. So, when i wonder about work done to the car, i can just question my fathers sanity.

I'm actually going to install a 155 8v Twin Spark so it is not the regular 75TS engine. This one is modified with race camshafts but other than that, it is original. However, it will need some modification to fit with the sump and the gearbox in the bertone.
The 155TS is a lot better engine than the 75TS though, as it has better intake channels and better ignition system. I'm also going to keep the stock fuel injection system, with some modifications. No carbs.
I actually got this 155TS engine, fully restored 4 years ago, for 500 SEK(!) so i would say that made a pretty good deal.
mathcg likes this.

Alfetta GT - 75'
1750 GTV - 70'

Last edited by Dtuner; 10-11-2015 at 03:29 AM.
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool story about your father and bringing back his old car!
have you any pics of it?

Quote:
Absolutely, it's very fun and very educating as well!
I think also it's very special when there is a lot of family history with the cars, as in both our cases. My father actually owned the car i have now for about 10 years, during the 80s to the early 90s, it was his crown jewel. I found it by coincidence in a barn and brought it back home, so now i am slowly bringing it back to life. It's really nice to know all the history of the car as well, as the guy i bought it from, was the guy my father sold it to via a dealer back in '93. So, when i wonder about work done to the car, i can just question my fathers sanity.

I'm actually going to install a 155 8v Twin Spark so it is not the regular 75TS engine. This one is modified with race camshafts but other than that, it is original. However, it will need some modification to fit with the sump and the gearbox in the bertone.
The 155TS is a lot better engine than the 75TS though, as it has better intake channels and better ignition system. I'm also going to keep the stock fuel injection system, with some modifications. No carbs.
I actually got this 155TS engine, fully restored 4 years ago, for 500 SEK(!) so i would say that made a pretty good deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode