Thinking about trying to restore one of these cars - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gary Williams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Thinking about trying to restore one of these cars

Hello,

I am new to this forum this is my first post. I am a long time car enthusiast primarily interested in BMWs up until now. I currently own an E36 M3 and an E34 525i that I DD for anyone who may be interested.

I love the Alfa GT series coupes (105 series? I still don't have the nomenclature down), and I was wondering how hard it is to source things like a rolling chassis, suspension components, and interior parts etc. for one of these cars. I am interested in maybe taking an unorthodox approach to getting one of these going again and am essentially trying to decide if this is a project I can actually complete. I know exactly how much money is reasonable for bmw parts and would be able to accurately estimate how much money it would cost to buy things like engines, transmissions, interior parts, and body parts for them etc. but I don't know any of this information as it pertains to Alfas.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some literature online that goes in depth on the different models of this car? I obviously need to become an expert if I'm going to be able to accurately gauge whether or not this is something I can take on myself.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 08:06 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The Alfa 105 GT is very well supported in the aftermarket. You might take a tour of the Classic Alfa website and note the wide array of body panels and other goodies.

I believe you will find parts prices to be less than for BMWs. Rust in the body shell is typically the biggest challenge. Maintenance and performance parts are easily found.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Classic Alfa looks great. I'm surprised there are so many parts available for these cars, that's very encouraging. How much should I expect to pay for a shell with little rust? and are there any places besides craigslist and forums that I should start checking for one?

Thanks for the quick response
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohny View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum this is my first post. I am a long time car enthusiast primarily interested in BMWs up until now. y gauge whether or not this is something I can take on myself. TIA
I have only this to add to the conversation.
Attached Images

RomulusGTV likes this.

Gary Williams
Many Alfas. All gone, but none forgotten
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:49 PM

Garage
Ciao Cohny,

For GT history and models, wiki is the place: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa..._Series_Coupés

With regards to GT build information and parts, you can't go wrong with AH:Car Builds

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchl View Post
Ciao Cohny,

For GT history and models, wiki is the place: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa..._Series_Coupés

With regards to GT build information and parts, you can't go wrong with AH:Car Builds
Those available projects look great but they don't sell the car like that. You have to buy their complete car build package. I'm trying to find a shell with repairable rust that's in need of serious work. I'm not sure how much they want for one of their packages but their website suggests to me that their prices are probably higher than I'm willing to pay.

I hesitate to say this because I can imagine how passionate most of you guys are about these cars but I'm looking to do a build where everything's on the table. I'd like to use a motor more reliable and readily available than an alfa twin cam, I'd like to make my own interior, and I don't care about the paint or original parts etc. I want to make a hot rod based on this body because it's beautiful to look at.

To do that however, I'm going to need a decent shell. Alfaholics probably doesn't want to sell one to a guy like me.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:15 AM

The drivetrain is the best part

I too am a BMW guy, and I also fell in love with the Bertone GTV coupes. I have a 69 GTV and a BMW CS coupe.

The Alfa motors are a legendary design, just like the BMW 6's.

They were in production for over 30 years, because they are very solid, reliable, and easy to work on. If you want a hotrod, get an Alfa engine builder to build you 150-180hp.
The transmissions shift well, too. So I would keep the Alfa twin cam as a base for your project.

Scott
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:44 AM
Gold Subscriber

Alfa 105s were relatively quick and a delight to drive in real time.

With the upgrade to a strong 2 L, the same holds today.

My DD is an 08 BMW 535 xi Touring Wagon with Dinan Stage 2.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craterface View Post
I too am a BMW guy, and I also fell in love with the Bertone GTV coupes. I have a 69 GTV and a BMW CS coupe.

The Alfa motors are a legendary design, just like the BMW 6's.

They were in production for over 30 years, because they are very solid, reliable, and easy to work on. If you want a hotrod, get an Alfa engine builder to build you 150-180hp.
The transmissions shift well, too. So I would keep the Alfa twin cam as a base for your project.

Scott
Scott,

The E9 coupe is an incredible car. One of my all time favorite BMWs.

I know the Alfa engine is legendary (I'll replay the driving scenes in the graduate a few times every time I watch the movie ) but I'm sure an alfa engine builder would easily charge me more than I want to spend on the whole car for the motor. For comparison I've frequently seen complete miata motors with transmissions and ECUs for around $1000. There's no way I can possibly get an Alfa engine going for that much.

I'm an engineer in my mid twenties and I can afford to spend maybe 7k on this project. All I want is the body, some fresh suspension, any motor I can possibly fit in there, a seat, a steering wheel, peddles, and whatever else I'd need to get it registered like working lights. I don't even care if the interior is bare metal the first time I take it for a spin. I've got other cars that are complete and fun to drive. This will be an exercise in hotrodding. I don't know if you've ever heard of lemons racing but this is sort of what I'm talking about:
http://murileemartin.com/wordpress/w...0-sattop-8.jpg

Edit: Obviously if it's possible to get an alfa engine going for cheap that would be ideal. I just don't see it happening with the money I want to spend. I could think about it in the future, but for now it's most likely too expensive.

Last edited by cohny; 09-15-2015 at 09:50 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:59 AM

Miata power

Tough to argue with Miata power

You might be able to find a terminally rusty but running Alfetta as a donor for a 2 liter for a grand or two. Would make everything else fit normally.

My uncle did Lemons a few times with a Milano with the roof cut off and a cage dropped in from above!

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode