1967 GTV suspension and dash help needed. - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchl View Post
Ciao Joe,

As reference, I've installed the Alfaholics 2 GTA-R front spring kit along with their blue race rear springs and Bilsteins all round.
Wheels are Alfaholics GTA superleggera 7x15 with Yokohama AD08 195/55, ET35 on the rear and ET29 on the front.
Note that if you also purchase the AH front suspension geometry kit (highly recommended) you'll need to modify the front fenders.
The handling is fantastic and stance is awesome for a mainly track/road car

PS. It's 6-1/2 inches off the ground....
Wow, your car is very similar to how I want my car to look. What are the exact modifications needed to fit the geometry kit? Anything major?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_strega_nera View Post
The dash pad has a stud/nut each side of the glovebox.
Thanks for the info, I will take a look at it when I get a chance.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
"Beautiful car! How many miles have you put on the car in those 12 years with that setup? Luckily where I live the roads are fairly decent and as far as I know there is nothing against how your suspension is set up (we don't really have safety inspections in CA like other states, they are more concerned with smog issues.) I like the way your car sits, but i'd like to take my car a bit lower once I can afford it, similar to the pictures below (not sure my oil pan will agree with me.) "

Hi Joe. My car lived in Northern CA from 1967 until 2006. I still take it down to visit periodically, though the awful California roads are an embarrassment to this native of the Golden State and a hazard to the Alfa. I've put roughly 14,000 miles on the Alfaholics suspension.

I've got Koni reds set up firm in front, soft in back, as per the recommendations of Alfaholics and other suspension wizards. Washington's roads are mostly in good condition. It's not potholes that are the issue. Mountain roads are often wavelike. If I fly though a dip that compresses the suspension, the pan can -- and sometimes does -- kiss the pavement. A pan guard would make the problem worse by lessening the distance between car and road. Perhaps I should take a picture of the brass drain plug. That's the lowest point, although it's not as low as it used to be.

Track cars can be lower than street cars. I love the look of the car you show above, but wonder what happens if it is driven fast on a mountain road? Of course you could always stiffen up the shocks, but the wonderful thing about the Alfaholics Fast Road suspension is that it handles great without being uncomfortable on a trip.

As a related note, if I were starting over I'd have 15-inch wheels on my car. You get more tire choices and they fill out the wheel wells nicely.
Luckily the pan on my car is in pretty decent shape, and I don't plan to abuse the car too much on public roads where I can damage it easily. I do like the idea of 15's, but I love the look of vintage wheels like the BWA, Stil Auto, or Mille Miglia sets.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepinci View Post
What are the exact modifications needed to fit the geometry kit? Anything major?
It's not too major since you're in the middle of the resto. The below picture shows the modification to the front fenders and Alfaholics will provide complete instructions if you purchase the kit.
Attached Images

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:07 PM

Jesus christ. No-one ever seems to mention that!
joepinci likes this.

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - pretty much finished!
Bunch of bikes too.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 03:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
Here's what a formerly stock GTV with low rear wheel arches looks like with an Alfaholics Fast Road Suspension. The tires are 195/60-14s. I like the ride height, the ride itself and the handling. With this little clearance, though, driving fast on rough roads and driving over parking lot speed bumps can be an issue. That said, I've had this suspension on the car for 12 years and my enthusiastic driving style has yet to create a problem ... except that I've met some nice cops and some not so nice cops.
Love the look of your car. My Mk II 1750 is at Alfaholics right now having the same setup fitted so I hope she looks as nice as yours. Personally I like the 14" wheels and with the Alfaholics lowered fast road kit the arches are filled enough for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode