Stiff outside door handle operation - '73 GTV - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
The latch at the end of the door is held by two screws that attach from the outside of the door. Loosening them does not allow me to move the latch, so I'm assuming I also need to do what you're suggesting to allow adjustment.
Correct... the latch adjustment is not made at the end of the door. The adjustment is made at the inside lever handle where the shaft to the handle is secured to the door structure with a large nut. The shaft protrudes through a slotted hole allowing the position of the shaft to move forward or back, effectively increasing or decreasing the lever arm to the latch at the end of the door. Moving the shaft forward "pulls" on the lever arm and latch, thereby raising or lifting it a bit higher over the catch on the door jam.

Ken
'73 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:30 PM

Thanks Ken.

Gary Williams
Many Alfas. All gone, but none forgotten
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
That does not solve the issue of the door and body latches being slightly misadjusted. Adjusting the one on the body messes up the shut lines. The door side latch did not want to move when loosened. I may now have that one solved, if I understand Ken correctly.
Mr.Gary, can it be that the door is slightly misaligned and the receiver corrects it when shutting. Try loosening hex screws on the receiving part on the pillar just enough to be able to move it around with hand, then carefully close the door and see where door ends up/wants to go without latch pulling it up or down. Do you have any scraping marks on latch or the receiver?

Zaza

Current Alfas:

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
1987 Milano Verde
1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750

Refreshing 1750 GTV
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 01:47 PM

Good thought, Zaza. I haven't tried that, because the shut lines are spot on and I hate to mess with them. But ... there are scrape marks on the latch.

Gary Williams
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 04:51 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Good thought, Zaza. I haven't tried that, because the shut lines are spot on and I hate to mess with them. But ... there are scrape marks on the latch.
Mr.Gary these videos explain door alignment, latch mechanism and I think the hinge repair too:

I screwed up the hinge repair on first try: door gaps would align perfectly but there was a tension at the last 1.5-2 of door closure even without a gasket, caused by a bent hinge (removed hinge when placed on the flat surface completely opened was not parallel with the surface. Also the hinge to door and pillar mating surfaces have to be flat). Had to redo it again, now it's working pefectly
chinocapuchino likes this.

Zaza

Current Alfas:

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
1987 Milano Verde
1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750

Refreshing 1750 GTV
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Nakagtv; 05-12-2015 at 04:55 PM.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 04:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Door latch alignment

Quote:
Mr.Gary these videos explain door alignment, latch mechanism and I think the hinge repair too:

I screwed up the hinge repair on first try: door gaps would align perfectly but there was a tension at the last 1.5-2" of door closure even without a gasket, caused by a bent hinge (removed hinge when placed on the flat surface completely opened was not parallel with the surface. Also the hinge to door and pillar mating surfaces have to be flat). Had to redo it again, now it's working pefectly

Zaza

Current Alfas:

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
1987 Milano Verde
1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750

Refreshing 1750 GTV

Last edited by Nakagtv; 05-12-2015 at 04:56 PM.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 11:13 PM

Thank you. I'll watch the video. My door hinges were refreshed a while ago and are fine. I realized the need when the driver's door popped open on a fast corner, surprising me and almost giving my Dad heart failure. I was going a bit fast and he was not used to (a) being a passenger or (b) the cornering speed of a well set up Alfa.

Gary Williams
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 02:41 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Wow, I better get the passenger's side done pronto and new seat belts...

Zaza

Current Alfas:

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
1987 Milano Verde
1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750

Refreshing 1750 GTV
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 08:52 AM

I used hinge repair kits from Alfaholics. Years ago I also put in retractable 3-point seat belts from a seat belt company in southern California. They aren't originale, but they are easier to use than the two separate belts that came with the car.

Gary Williams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode