Barn Find - 1967 Giulia Sprint GT - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I think a significant factor (apart from extent of rust) is what "the market" thinks this car is going to do over the next decade. My opinion is that the 105 1600 GTV is going to light up.

I recall 750 and 101 Veloces going for a grand. 102 and 106's could barely be given away. I bought my Montreal in 2012 in driving condition for $30k, and got laughed at for over paying.

Not all Alfas are going to spike in value. I don't believe it's a big piece of brilliance to think the step noses, and particularly the V, are on the cusp.

If it were my car and I wanted to sell it, I'd take a ton of close and detailed pics and roll it through EBay, with a totally honest description and an assessment from a well known Alfa person.

I'd be willing to wager $100 that it breaks 10k, IF the pictures and local expert agree the rust is contained. I believe it would do so because I'm not the only one that thinks that the GTV is a next-hot-thing.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Alfaonly - Beaverton is pretty close! You're more than welcome to come take a look if you'd like to, send me a PM and I'll get you our contact info. Would appreciate another set of eyes. There was no evidence of mice in the cab, only a small nest in the trunk on the rubber mat that was pretty easy to clean up.

DPeterson3 - There is an engine in the car, as well as on the ground and veloce430 suspected both were 1600s when he visited last week.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 12:00 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
SarahR,

I wish you good luck sorting through this. If your goal is to get rid of the Alfas, you are probably safe in going the Ebay route, so long as you do a very good presentation of what you have. If you have unrealistic expectations, then there may be some pain along the way. Generally, Ebay ads that start with no reserve and a low minimum bid do well. You'll lose a few buyers if the reserve and other elements create a sense of mystery.

Don't be surprised if you get X for your cars, and find that two or four years later that those same cars sold for a lot more. The seller probably put at least the amount of the increase into improving their condition. Of course, you could do this as well, but I get a sense that you'd rather get out of the Alfa business and on with your lives.

I have no vested interest in your cars, and won't be a buyer, so my opinions are just that. Opinions. Part of me would love to see the GTV sell to a dedicated enthusiast for 6k or so. Part of me would applaud if it sells for double or more of that, as it would indicate that buyers were paying for something's anticipated future value.

I really liked my 65 Sprint GT, and was always envious of the later GTV features. Dead reliable and very fun to drive.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 03:15 PM

ok, I have a 67 Guilia Sprint GT Veloce it's a complete car and starts on the button with no smoke, it has no rust or rot. And the paint is 7 out of 10.
I I am an enthusiast not a dealer! But if you guys think this is such a hot ticket and will be worth x times 5 in ten years!
make me an offer I can't refuse. Personally I like to drive the car and enjoy it however the post seams to say say cash
is king! My personal problem is how to split the car in 2 (as I have 2 sons)when I leave this mortal coil, so I either sell her now or buy another and restore her so my kids have one each when I Die.
I will gladly pay a fair price for the barn find!
Cheers Alistair GTV67
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 04:19 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
"Fair" is what happens on the edge of town where you can ride a carousel.

All markets are irrational.

For every security sold, one buyer believes the price will go up in the future while the other believes it will go down.

I'm betting that old Italian cars with some degree of rarity and quality are going to enjoy a continuing escalating bubble. For a while. There are always corrections. If Asia nations suddenly confiscate a ton of money from wealthy citizens, it'll be over. Lots of unforeseeable bubble-poppers out there.

Note that really fine Duettos are drawing solid money. The 105 Coupe is a better car in almost all ways.

Who knows? We've all done our best to help the original poster get a head on things. She's not going to get a high price from a thin Craigslist ad.

Would you be happier if this car goes for $6k or $16k? If you own one, I'd think the latter.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 05:52 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Washing it will add at least $2k to the sale value ... potentially a very original and fairly unrusty car under the dust/dirt. It definitely is straight.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 11:03 PM

I'm not that far from Beaverton and have owned my '67 GT for 33 years. If someone would like a pair of aging eyes to look this one over, I may be able to help.

While I agree that the value of these cars is likely to keep going up, one that has been parking for three decades in an unheated Pacific Northwest garage will likely need a full restoration. Thirteen years ago restoring my well-kept car inside and out cost about what they are selling for now. What are restorations going for these days? (<-- Rhetorical late-night muse. Do answer requested.)

Gary Williams
Many Alfas. All gone, but none forgotten

Last edited by Gary Williams; 06-23-2015 at 10:28 AM.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the great suggestions and thoughts, I appreciate it immensely! I think we have our plan forward - will post here when we get it on the market.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 09:15 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
What are restorations going for these days?
We'd be hijacking SarahR's thread to discuss that question in detail. But even a quick reply would depend on what you mean by "restoration".

- Home mechanic, do-it-yourself?
- Local shops, paint & interior refresh?
- Pebble Beach class restorer, no expense spared?

Why not start a new thread if you really want to pursue this? I think the concensus of the replies will be "a lot".

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
We'd be hijacking SarahR's thread to discuss that question in detail. But even a quick reply would depend on what you mean by "restoration".

- Home mechanic, do-it-yourself?
- Local shops, paint & interior refresh?
- Pebble Beach class restorer, no expense spared?

Why not start a new thread if you really want to pursue this? I think the concensus of the replies will be "a lot".
The question was rhetorical. I've pretty much had all that sort of fun I'm going to have. Please, don't anyone hijack Sarah's thread. No one likes hijacked thread, except for thread hijackers. And no one likes them.

Gary Williams
Many Alfas. All gone, but none forgotten
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 11:52 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I looked at the GTV and Berlina a week ago. The GTV is quite complete. Mostly what appears to be original paint, with the exception of the RR fender, where the paint is peeling and original can be seen underneath. Didn't appear to be damaged by looking at the inside of the trunk. Floors and rockers look reasonably solid. Most of the rust is confined to both front fenders (leaking roof?) and the portion of the rocker at the bottom of the fender. In my opinion it will require the back half of both front fenders to be replaced, or just replace the fenders in entirety. The door jams and hinges seemed to escape the rust issues. The interior looks reasonable as shown in the pictures, but is quite brittle and will need to be replaced and the dash is very discolored. At the time I was there the car's brakes were frozen; I understand that they got the car to roll soon after. I would have to assume that the engine is frozen and will need a total rebuild, as it appears the car was last licensed in 1979, and it may have been parked for a reason. That might explain the extra 1600 engine/trans that was sitting along side the car. All of the SS trim is in good to fair condition. It is in need of a total restoration which could easily cost more than the car will be worth, depending on who does the work. I would think about $15K for body and paint and stainless refinishing and at least that much or more for the engine/trans/brakes suspension plus at least $7k for a complete interior plus $1000 for a dash and another $1000 to have the gauges redone. The glass was so dirty I couldn't tell if the w/s was chipped or scratched or if there was damage to any of the other glass. After Sarah cleans it up it will be easier to know what it really needs. If someone wants a project and is welling to spend a lot of time and money, you could wind up with an excellent 67 GTV. The '69 Berlina would basically be a good parts car with a potentially rebuildable 1750, some good trim and a couple of good doors and fenders. Typical rust in passenger doors and rear fender arches.

Stu
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 01:57 PM

Sent you pm
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloce430 View Post
I would think about $15K for body and paint and stainless refinishing and at least that much or more for the engine/trans/brakes suspension plus at least $7k for a complete interior plus $1000 for a dash and another $1000 to have the gauges redone.
I promised not to hijack this thread and turn it into a "how much does it cost to restore and Alfa GT thread". Well, so much for my promises!

I think that Stu's numbers are good for the items he mentions, but I don't think his list is all-inclusive. From my own restoration experience, you need to budget more (say another $10 - 15K) for replacement parts (things like suspension bushings, radiator hoses, battery, tires, U-joints, etc.) and for services (radiator re-coring, glass removal-reinstall, chrome plating, fuel tank coating, etc). Everyone says "oh, but that stuff is cheap". Yea, each item is cheap, but an entire car's worth really adds up.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 06-23-2015 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode