Help with lights - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagt View Post
It would be helpful to know...
- What year is your GTV?
- Is this a new problem? Or are you dealing with issues inherited from a prior owner?
- Is the wiring and electrical system fairly original and unmolested? Or jumbled spaghetti?
The car is a "69"
Just purchased the car from the original owner and ironing out the wrinkles that had not been addressed by previous owner.

Wiring seems fairly original from what I can tell. Take into account, I am doing all the work now just to get things working correctly will likely replace the full harness when I do the full restoration of the car.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 04:24 PM

If you like to do things yourself, then investing in a circuit tester similar to this will save you heaps of time and frustration with any electrical gremlins your car has. You can apply either power or ground right at the component so that you instantly know what the issue is.

I had so many niggling little problems with lights, horn etc, that I completely rewired them, replacing wires, relays, connectors and redoing all of the grounds. Everything now works perfect and it only took a day.

Autel Powerscan PS100 Electrical Circuit Tester | eBay

Cheers,
Wazza.

"horsepower sells cars - torque wins races".
1969 MK1 1750 GTV
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTVMk1 View Post
If you like to do things yourself, then investing in a circuit tester similar to this will save you heaps of time and frustration with any electrical gremlins your car has. You can apply either power or ground right at the component so that you instantly know what the issue is.

I had so many niggling little problems with lights, horn etc, that I completely rewired them, replacing wires, relays, connectors and redoing all of the grounds. Everything now works perfect and it only took a day.

Autel Powerscan PS100 Electrical Circuit Tester | eBay

Cheers,
Wazza.
I think a tester like this would be good! I love DIY projects my problem is I grew up in the 90's racing bicycles and not learning about cars so now I am a little behind on my knowledge or confidence when it comes to working on what has truly been my dream car. I just made some hand wound speaker cables so I guess doing some wire work on the Alfa should not be that big of a jump for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagt View Post
Nothing will prevent you from putting in an under or over rated fuse. If you use an under rated fuse, it may fail prematurely; if over rated, you risk exceeding the capacity of another component in the circuit (such as wiring) and resulting in its failure (and not the fuse) in an over-amperage or short circuit.
When bellagt writes "Nothing will prevent you from putting in an under or over rated fuse" I think what he means is that fuses are all the same size, regardless of amperage. So you can plug a 10a fuse into a circuit that should have a 5a. But that doesn't mean that it's OK to plug a 10a fuse into a circuit that should have a 5a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanota
will likely replace the full harness when I do the full restoration of the car.
I haven't seen your harness, nor do I know what you want to achieve in your full restoration. But my guess is that your harness is perfectly fine and the cause of your electrical glitches is bad grounds, failing switches, corroded bulbs & sockets,... Unless a PO has messed with it, the harness is usually the most reliable part of the system.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 03-01-2015 at 05:17 PM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
When bellagt writes "Nothing will prevent you from putting in an under or over rated fuse" I think what he means is that fuses are all the same size, regardless of amperage. So you can plug a 10a fuse into a circuit that should have a 5a. But that doesn't mean that it's OK to plug a 10a fuse into a circuit that should have a 5a.

I haven't seen your harness, nor do I know what you want to achieve in your full restoration. But my guess is that your harness is perfectly fine, and the cause of your electrical glitches is bad grounds, failing switches, ...
You will most likely see the car sooner rather than later, just have to get a few glitches worked out. I will only place the correct fuses in the fuse box thanks for clarifying though. Is there a chart that shows were all the grounds are plus what the correct fuse goes into each circuit? I am going to grab some contact cleaner and see what I can clean up.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanota View Post
Is there a chart that shows were all the grounds are
No, but isn't that complicated. Every electrical component has two connections: power and ground. The one attached to the surrounding metal is the ground. Often they are attached with a sheet metal screw that has become loose or corroded; hence the poor connection.

Quote:
plus what the correct fuse goes into each circuit?
That's published in your owner's manual and repair manual (you do have a repair manual?)

On a previous point: I'm not saying that you shouldn't spend AU100 on an utel PowerScan PS100 Electrical Circuit Tester. But you can learn a lot from a simple, $10 tester like the one pictured below. Given that you are new to electrical circuits, a dirt-simple tester might be a better way to get started.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 03-01-2015 at 05:28 PM.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

I do not have a repair manual, where can I get that? I have the documents sent over from AROC and a reprint of the Alfa owners manual ( plus a very badly worn original version ). Any books I should be getting?

Like the idea of spending less if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
No, but isn't that complicated. Every electrical component has two connections: power and ground. The one attached to the surrounding metal is the ground. Often they are attached with a sheet metal screw that has become loose or corroded; hence the poor connection.

That's published in your owner's manual and repair manual (you do have a repair manual?)

On a previous point: I'm not saying that you shouldn't spend AU100 on an utel PowerScan PS100 Electrical Circuit Tester. But you can learn a lot from a simple, $10 tester like the one pictured below. Given that you are new to electrical circuits, a dirt-simple tester might be a better way to get started.

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanota View Post
I do not have a repair manual, where can I get that? Any books I should be getting? Like the idea of spending less if I can.
I have used the Autobooks manuals. You can probably find one inexpensively on half.com

Other Alfa-related books worth getting are the ones by Pat Braden and Jim Kartalamakis.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 05:47 AM
Gold Subscriber

It sounds like you are starting at the beginning, hey we all started there, so although not related to electrics one thing that can save you untold hours and tons of aggravation is to remember this is a aluminum motor and it is easy to strip/break studs and nuts by tightening to tight. Most fasteners do not have to be gorilla tight. Develop a firm technique and you will enjoy your journey, the quest is the quest.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 05:54 AM
Platinum Subscriber

There are times when a simple test light is better than a digital meter. I use both.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode