Are we really in the $50's now? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Are we really in the $50's now?

Are these GTV's really selling in the 50's now?

1974 ALFA ROMEO GTV

Looks nice but $52? where was the price in 2013?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 03:40 PM

No - but maybe.... Really exceptional GTVs have been pulling those numbers for a while, but plenty of the 30 to 40+ cars these days are not that great and seem to be listed again and again despite supposed sales. About 4 years ago a decent running project could be had for 9 to 12. A good driver 15 to 20-22 and a fine, but not concours GTV 30+. The blue one in the link looks very nice, but with a few pictures and two sentence ad who the hell knows? What serious seller lists a car this way, even on CL? Realistically I'd add 5 to 7k for today's market. I may be under-estimating, but I'm not ready to retire on my GTV just yet.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 04:35 PM

Garage
Link could not be opened.
But ORANGE COUNTY might explain a lot.
Leonardo De Caprio might have glanced at it once upon a time.

Twin-Cam Hemi, Webers, Headers, Overdrive, Disc brakes, and no emissions equipment to spoil it all. These are gonna be FUN rides!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:33 PM

There are two on eBay now at/over $50k.... So we're really there for the asking. But they haven't sold in weeks...

Ken
'73 GTV
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:43 PM

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:42 PM

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 02:06 PM

Garage
For the right car I think $50k isn't enough. It's always worth what someone will pay.

''Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines"- Enzo Ferrari
"Back in my day, tires were skinny and the drivers were fat"- Fangio
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa75gomba View Post
I think so!!!!!!!!!!!!

Price Guide Report
Hagarty's guide is up the creek if you go looking at step nose GTV, which *are* selling in the 50s now.

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - pretty much finished!
Bunch of bikes too.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa75gomba View Post
This car sold for $54.2k on eBay according to an earlier post. All the details on the car were pretty much spot on... And if the body and mechanicals were as good as everything else looked, it truly needed nothing.

Ken
'73 GTV
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 10:53 PM

There have been some GTVs---stepnoses---that have gone for that kind of money but I tend to think $50k is still such strong money that its an outlier price. If people are putting that price on a car they're selling, they're most likely trying to boost the market. That said, $50k isn't even break-even costs on a fresh restoration so you'd have trouble building a quality stepnose for that kind of money unless you were doing most of the work yourself. Still, stepnoses and roundtail spiders are definitely sitting on the price escalator and are, IMHO, under-priced compared to sundry 356's and even TR3's. The next year or so will be interesting. At some point our beloved old Alfas may get too expensive to drive and that will be a sad day.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 06:39 PM

We recently had a '65 stepnose in original unmolested condition advertised for $65k, which is no longer there and assumed sold. I can understand big money for the older Guilia's, but I can't get my head around paying $50k for a mid 70's 2 litre.

Wazza.

"horsepower sells cars - torque wins races".
1969 MK1 1750 GTV
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTVMk1 View Post
...., but I can't get my head around paying $50k for a mid 70's 2 litre.
Which part... That you can only get 10 show quality GTVs and not 20 for the price of a Ferrari Dino 246GT? Or the price of other collectible classics that are outpacing GTV prices? As the saying goes, a rising tide raises all ships....

Ken
'73 GTV
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 12:46 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagt View Post
This car sold for $54.2k on eBay according to an earlier post. All the details on the car were pretty much spot on... And if the body and mechanicals were as good as everything else looked, it truly needed nothing.
Appears to be incorrectly black under the wheel arches ... but some people like that.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 10:44 PM

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 08:25 AM

I'm not an expert nor is anyone who writes columns for a living on the subject but I sense the market is divided into two bubbles. The bubble (define it in numbers that make you comfortable) below $150,000 and the one above $300,000. The gap between isn't really a bubble as it is pretty much level. I contend the 2%'ers play in the big bubble and as they get richer and we get poorer they eschew the lower bubble (penny stocks to them) and upgrade out of those pieces to jump into the big time bubble thus reducing their collectibles which take space and need as much attention as the high price cars in favor of the blue chip higher strata bubble...

The Scottsdale auctions demonstrated this theory quite succinctly with softening numbers and the number of bid paddles in laps for the E-types, AH 3000's; Lotus Europa and even 911's to name a few. I never heard Charley Ross beg so much for bids in all the time I have watched Gooding auctions. His "this is no money" begs were really wearing thin.

Attribute this to fewer Europeans bidding, a stronger dollar, and lots of inventory.

This puts the GTV and most Alfas we own squarely in the cross-hairs. Witness the 100 point car ( Giulietta Veloce light blue) that was on E-bay a few weeks ago that never garnered an opening bid in the 60's. It's with a dealer and the phone is dead so it wasn't just the E-Bay virus that killed it.

Step-noses and GTV's will hold on to a $35000-45000 range for exceptional cars for awhile with a few going higher for what reason only a lone buyer has but from here, I think the market is in for a slow-down and stability in this lower bubble... but not deflation. the big bubble will go on with very little tugging on the lower one but we are in a stutter phase now. It might take a couple years before that phase kicks in. The 50's are going to be a struggle and maybe even blind squirrels and acorns applies but I wouldn't count on it..

PS: The same thing is going on in real estate in my part of the country.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode