Rebuilding a Classic - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
No offense, but that's a pretty funny question! So few of these cars are traded and the market is so irrational, that it would be absurd for anyone to say "changing from grigio metallizzato to Giallo Ochre will reduce the selling price by 3.7% twenty years from now".

So many other factors influence the selling price of these cars that I think I can safely say that color is usually lost in the noise. Not that it isn't a factor, but it is swamped by so many other things (like how drunk the bidders are when your car crosses the auction block!).

r-mm adds a good point above: changing the color from a popular one, to a yucky one will probably cost you, regardless of whether these colors are factory original. And what defines "popular" and "yucky"? Well, it's all in the perception of your prospective buyer!
Hi Jay,

I can see where you are coming from in regards to the question, in the grand scheme of things it is silly to ask for exact numbers and I really did not expect to get such a number. I simply thought since a large majority of Alfa fans are in the camp of "original is more valuable" I might be able to get a sense of just what "more valuable" means.

In support of the nice Alfa colors to the not so popular Alfa colors this makes a lot of sense to me and should seem to be more important than original or not if it is a good paint job. I could be wrong but I feel that most cars that are not absolutely "original" all around, would be better off in a popular Alfa color rather than a not so popular original Alfa color if it needed paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-mm View Post
I'll add a step between 2 & 3 - pick a color that was offered on another Alfa model, same year. The Zagatos and Montreals (starting 1970 I believe) came in some amazing colors. I would be shocked if you couldn't find something that piques your interest in the entire Alfa catalog. I've been told that the factory would often grant such cross-model paint requests, so strictly speaking this isn't going too far afield.

As a minor color snob and avid classic car window shopper (and actual shopper) I can volunteer that for me a well done bare metal inside and out respray in a factory color using good paint would detract zero dollars from the car's value - presuming I like the color. Most would agree that going from something interesting and unique like Giallo Ochre to plain old alfa red would incur a penalty, but I think even more people would agree that having rock solid paint sitting on a documented, straight rust free car trumps nearly everything. These are old cars after all and even the "survivors" have rust, so body condition and the quality of paint is an enormously high priority. After that, these are cheap cars. A motor can be rebuilt and hopped up for a few grand, all the suspension pieces are cheaper than honda parts, ditto brakes, etc etc.

Finding pictures of cars in colors you like is a full time job (see my recent post looking for decent Bluette pics). If you name some of those you're interested in I can post some of those I've collected over the years. Do you like unique/period colors? Bright colors? Blues, reds, greens? You can also surf the "lets post pics of 105's" thread or this group on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/alfa-bertone/
I like period colors although it seems like the Alfa colors of the period were a little more muted or earth toned for my taste. Love the red but not going to go there, blue and yellow are leading the pack for me right now. Funny thing is the colors and cars in general seem to look so much cooler in person, saw a indigo grey the other day and loved it, that color looks very plain in the pictures I have found but really looked great in person.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:28 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
You've probably seen this, but in case not I think these color charts (roughly) cover your car:

https://alfaromeogtv.wordpress.com/2...-color-charts/

You should be able to take those AR codes to a paint shop and get chips to see what the color really looks like.

One thing to note is that Alfas of that vintage (and cars in general) were not painted up to the standards of a new car today. Most careful restorations have nicer paint than the car came out of the factory with. There was an article in the Alfa Owner a few years ago about painting '60s era steel wheels to perfectly match the original. I only remember two conclusions to that article: one was that no single silver was used so hard to pick an "original" color, the other being that rattle-can Rustoleum silver better approximated the original wheels than a really nice paint job just because the wheels didn't come out of the factory with a super nice finish. Just something to think about.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
Sounds to me you just want a fun, good looking car that you plan to keep for a LONG time, right? In that case stop worrying. Paint it any color you want. I would avoid some of the really ugly colors out there - certain 911 "skittles" colors come to mind, as does that hideous orange color you see so many Lambos in - but that metallic blue you posted from Alfaholics is gorgeous and tasteful. I can't see that color hurting the value significantly to anyone other than a purist looking for an all-original show car - which your car is already not. Same goes for a nice leather interior.

If you can find some color codes of colors that you think you might like, you can take the color to a local auto paint supply house and they can provide you with chips.

As far as performance mods go, I tend to prefer "period correct" mods. In other words, something which would not have been unusual when the car was new. Which in '69 means just about anything except EFI. It would not have been at all unusual in '69 to upgrade the suspension and brakes on a car like this and "massage" some more power out of the engine. I recently saw that Alfa Parts Exchange has a "big brake" kit that includes ventilated rotors and Wilwood 4-pot calipers. That seems like it might be pushing it a bit far (but perhaps not!) but certainly things like drilled rotors, stainless lines, Koni shocks, "performance springs" from IAP or Centerline or someone, etc. are perfectly period correct and not unusual to see on a GTV on the street in 1970.

My $.02.

Chris
Thanks for your feedback, think your mindset is pretty close to mine, just want to make sure I do the car justice with how I care for it...Good idea on the paint chips, think that is the only way to get a real feel for the colors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode