Placement of rear script and badge on 69 GTV trunk lid - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Placement of rear script and badge on 69 GTV trunk lid

Hi
My 69 1750 didn't come with any badges or script and I'm going to add them. It's a US car but I'm going with the round Alfa badge + the 1750 script as fitted to the Euro cars.

Since there are no holes I'll need to drill them and need to know where to position the badges. I found this thread however the dimensions don't really help as there isn't a reference point from the edge of the trunk lid.

There are 5 stubs where a prior badge was positioned but I don't know if that is for the 1750 script or alfa romeo spelled out. Based on this thread it looks like this is for the 1750 script which I can try to drill out from the inside. Can someone confirm that? I have a 1750 script on order so I don't know if it has 5 posts or not. The inside of my trunk lid is shown below

Can someone with this configuration post the distances from the edge of the trunk lid for both the round Alfa batch and the 1750 script? I think the best thing would be the measurement to the top of the logo from the trunk lid below the window and measurement from each side followed by the distance below the 1750 logo is positioned.

Thanks
Attached Images

Kurt
69 GTV 1750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 11:34 AM

Kurt,

This is the only photo I have on file of an early boot (trunk) lid without the script. I hope that the holes can be seen. When fitting the script, it is a good idea to place a good blob of acid-free clear silicone sealant between the circular retainers and the underside of the lid to prevent the ingress of water, and make sure that the edges of the five holes are painted so that there is no rust waiting to happen.

However, the round badge was never fitted to a flat lid: there is another type which has a recess pressed into the skin so that it does not sit proud of the surface. If you are set on fitting such a badge, it would be a good idea to source a later lid.

Alex.

PS: How did your lid lose its holes? The original sound deadening material underneath indicates that the frame has not been re-skinned. You might be able to see the outlines of the holes from underneath.

EDIT: I'll engage my brain before typing next time. I have no idea if the studs behind a 1750 badge are in the same position as the Sprint GT script, or any other script. However, my comment about the round badge and the recess remains good.
Attached Images

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Alex; 01-25-2015 at 12:10 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks Alex,
When I purchased the car last year it came this way. Although the car is a 69 I discovered the doors are from a later car (S2) as they had the alignment wedges on the back side of the door and they were a different color from my original or current color.

I don't know if the boot / trunk lid is original and it may be from a later model GTV as well. I've looked at lot of cars at local events and they all seem different and I haven't been able to figure out if what I have is original or not. I have read posts on the forum what weren't definitive on recessed or not recessed Alfa badge for my year car.

Thanks

Kurt
69 GTV 1750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 01:24 PM

Garage
Hi Kurt
I'm pretty sure all trunk lid scripts have 5 stubs, as I have a few different ones 1600GTjunior 1750 2000 scripts all have 5 stubs

72 2L GT Junior 73 2000 Spider. 2004 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 02:19 PM

Kurt,

My hunch is that you have an earlier Sprint GT lid with welded up holes (later ones tended not to have the factory insulation sprayed underneath). If there is no rust, this would be of great value to someone if you were prepared to find a later lid and re-spray to match the rest of your body colour. Good luck with it!

Alex.

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 AM

Garage
Also looks like the trunk seal is on the lid, this indicates an early GT, not 1750.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 12:51 PM

Garage
I have a Mk II 1750, and the original 1750 badge has 5 pins on it. The holes are at the edge of the trunk lid under the five holes visible in the photo. However, if you getting a modern replacement 1750 badge I am told most of them only have 3 pins, not 5 . They are not quite the same as the original pattern badge.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I don't think this is a an early trunk lid. I've included another photo that shows the remnant of some badging (5 clips). What's the significance of the insulating material? Was that only on certain years? It looks like like it's a cork based pad.

I went with the early trunk lid after trying 3 versions that mount on the pinch seam at the bottom. All 3 caused the trunk lid to stand proud by a 1/4" probably due to filler in drain trough which caused the seal to sit higher than it should. The closest to a good fit was the trunk seal from a MGB which was nice quality fit well and was ~$30. With the upper seal I've had difficulty getting it to stay attached as the seal seems to repel wurth rubber glue.

I have a 1750 badge on order which should be here later this week so we'll see if it has 5 or 3 pins.

On another thread it was suggested the mounting point for the Alfa badge was visible under the trunk latch bracket, anyone know if that's true before I pull it off to check?
Attached Images

Kurt
69 GTV 1750
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 10:36 PM

G'day Kurt,

When I restored mine ('69 GTV), I had all of the holes welded up and used 3M double sided auto tape to adhere them. Gives me many less places for rust to start. They have been there for 4 years now with no problems, and you can't pick the difference (unless I tell you).

Cheers,
Wazza.
Attached Images

"horsepower sells cars - torque wins races".
1969 MK1 1750 GTV
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 01:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTVMk1 View Post
G'day Kurt,

When I restored mine ('69 GTV), I had all of the holes welded up and used 3M double sided auto tape to adhere them. Gives me many less places for rust to start. They have been there for 4 years now with no problems, and you can't pick the difference (unless I tell you).

Cheers,
Wazza.
That gets my vote. Not exactly original but a great improvement.

1997 916 Series Spider 2.0 Twinspark
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
GTVMk1,
That's a great suggestion and exactly the look I want for my car. How did you figure out the placement once the holes were welded up? The 1750 script should be easy to attached but the badge is probably concave on the back, how did you get that to stick?

From your pic it looks like the Alfa badge is not recessed into the trunk lid, can you confirm

Kurt
69 GTV 1750
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 08:19 PM

Hi Kurt,

I measured my friend's '69 GTV for the script.

The previous owner had removed the round badge and had the recess filled. So I just stuck the badge on where the recess would have been. Yes the badge is concave (slightly), so I put 3 rows of tape across the back so that it was sure to stick somewhere. As I said, they've been there four years and can't be shifted. My car also lives outside and gets washed regularly because I live near the ocean.

I used the same approach on the C pillar badges and the Designo di Bertone badge, as these spots are reknowned for rusting.

Cheers,
Wazza.

"horsepower sells cars - torque wins races".
1969 MK1 1750 GTV
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thought I would summarize how it worked for me for those that might be interested. I went with the 3M automotive adhesive tape, the first type was too thick so I selected 3M 4646 which worked great.

I started by positioning the Alfa badge 11&7/8" from top edge of trunk based on the measurements from elite38868 who also has a 69 GTV.

It's a bit of a pain to trim the tape from the 1750 logo but when complete you don't know it's there. To position the badge I worked up a placement jig by using plastic clips that attach to a ceiling fan when you are trying to figure out where to put a balance weight. This allowed me to perfectly position the script. To set the holders I centered on the trunk and eyeballed the distance fore and aft.

One caution the trunk has a bit of a curve to it so you need to gently bend the 1750 to fit the curve or it will pull away from at the ends where there is only a small strip of tape holding it. This will save you from doing this twice

I'm very happy with the results and I have the euro 1750 look I wanted. Thanks for the great suggestion
Attached Images

Kurt
69 GTV 1750
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 06:41 AM

Just to add to this thread. I have a trunk lid with the depressed part for the badge and four holes for the badge. Not five, not three but four! of course none of the posts on the new badge line up with any of them. I am resigning to using the double-sided tape method but it is curious there are so many variations

Last edited by BostonBertone; 04-25-2016 at 06:45 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 08:00 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
3M has a peal and stick product that seems to work really well. You don't have to cut anything.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08069-Press...mblem+adhesive

Brian __________________________________

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode