AFrench Blue '69 GTV Restoration - Page 77 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 210Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1141 of 1590 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Here's the reason I'm not keen on the plastic valve. The outlet has been permanently deformed at the hose clamp position and has most likely leaked coolant onto the carpets at some point in time.

Name:  mont 912.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  48.7 KB

Another potential leak site is at the seal location....clearly visible here is the ovalization caused by heat & pressure cycling of the flange.

Name:  mont 932.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  59.6 KB

...visible in the photo below...is the ovalisation on the original flange (on the right) compared to a new one (left side).

Name:  mont 931.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  61.9 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1590 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Gold Subscriber

Nice! I thought I was going to be thorough when I put what looks to be the same foam around my heater core to hold it in the box but ended up cutting most of it off so it would fit, ah well the best laid plans.....

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #1143 of 1590 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Be sure you have the heater pressure tested prior to installing it. I have three heaters in my shed, and all 3 had leaking cores. I had a new heater core installed to the original ends at a radiator shop, then restored the rest of the heater as you did. Don't trust it by just running water thru it!

Stu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 1590 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem75 View Post
Nice! I thought I was going to be thorough when I put what looks to be the same foam around my heater core to hold it in the box but ended up cutting most of it off so it would fit, ah well the best laid plans.....
The foam I found at the HD box store was about 1/8" thick and used for wrapping/insulating water pipes. It was a perfect fit all around with the housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloce430 View Post
Be sure you have the heater pressure tested prior to installing it. I have three heaters in my shed, and all 3 had leaking cores. I had a new heater core installed to the original ends at a radiator shop, then restored the rest of the heater as you did. Don't trust it by just running water thru it!
Stu
I pressure tested it by capping off the valve end of the heater and applying air pressure at the tube end. I then dipped the entire heater into a bucket of water and checked for air bubbles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1145 of 1590 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:15 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Great job, Rossano.

Brian __________________________________

post #1146 of 1590 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I've been working on the next interior challenge...upholstering of the rear seats. I can't believe I don't have any photos showing what I started with (I thought I took photos years ago of all the interior....and didn't take any this time prior to disassembly) dang it. After disassembling the entire seat, I de-rusted and painted the seat frame and replaced the disintegrating burlap backing with a denser burlap material that I glued to the seat foam.

Name:  seat 157.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  58.5 KB

I removed the wires from the original upholstery, and painted these before transferring to the new upholstery. This upholstery kit did not come with 1/2" wide tie down strap, so I bought some 1/2" wide ribbon from a fabric store but after installing all 14 of them I found that it was too open of a weave for the hog rings to grab on to and hold securely to wire frame. So I made new ones from scratch using a good tight cotton material.

Name:  seat 177.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  40.7 KB

The hog rings held these very well and securely with no slippage on the wire frame with the ones I made.

Name:  seat 241.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  56.6 KB

Also, I initially did pre-fit the upholstery and felt that it fit too loosely so I added 1" foam to the flat areas. But this made the seat too puffy looking with way too many wrinkles. So I removed that and instead added only 1/4" of foam but in the center area only...I crossed my fingers and just decided to go for it.....so I hog ringed everything in place! Wrinkles did appear at the edges of the basket weave...so after hearing so much about the magic of steaming vinyl to get rid of wrinkles.....I went out and bought a steamer. Boy this really worked like a charm! I think what happens when the hot steam warms up all the vinyl is that the material relaxes and stretches just enough to even out the tension. When the material cools down it shrinks a bit and voila.....wrinkles are diminished and or gone.

This is the result after just one steaming step....I was very pleased .....it worked better than what I had expected.

Name:  seat 236.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  63.1 KB

Next is the seat back!
ossodiseppia and rsims like this.

Last edited by 1750GT; 01-23-2017 at 02:48 AM.
post #1147 of 1590 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
That looks amazing!

Tim
post #1148 of 1590 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 06:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

I really like the wider pleats over the many narrower ones. For obvious reasons

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #1149 of 1590 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
I really like the wider pleats over the many narrower ones. For obvious reasons
[/URL]
Actually the later ones don't bother me at all......but that's only because I love keeping things as period original as possible. I'm not into modding things up.

post #1150 of 1590 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
To complete the rear seat phase...here's what was left of the original seat back...it sure sure gets hot in Arizona!

Name:  seat 255.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  47.1 KB

...that burlap backing was not intended to last a lifetime I suppose.

Name:  seat 116.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  71.9 KB

...ahhh....nice fresh burlap and cleaned-up freshly painted frame....

Name:  seat 271.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  44.0 KB

...steaming the vinyl tightens things up nicely. I found it works better if the entire seat is steamed up the full width instead of just locally.

Name:  seat 246.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  63.2 KB

....just make me feel like I've accomplished a mini milestone .I installed the seat in the car. When manipulating it into position, some waves and wrinkles re-appear. I'll give the seat another steaming step after everything is completely finished with the interior.

Name:  seat 258.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  48.7 KB

post #1151 of 1590 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 06:39 AM
Gold Subscriber

Far out!
How are you steaming them? Nice tip, thanks for sharing. Mine are also getting pretty dry on the top of the rear seat, it gets pretty hot here too. I like the tan color for a lot of reasons, close to the top is getting in the car in the summer in shorts. I've fried the back of my legs on black in the summer more times than I care to admit. Have you ever contacted Mario at Centro Documentation? I'm curious as to how they described the interior. He said my car had "Leather Tex" interior and I don't know if that is a color, (tan) or the actual material.
Keep up the great work and again, thanks for sharing!

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #1152 of 1590 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 08:15 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
These are important milestones, no matter how small they may seem. Installing the seats is a huge step. It's the one that shows you that you have gotten much closer to finishing your car. Just wait until you get the front seats in!. I installed the passenger seat in my car first and just couldn't wait to sit in it and admire how far I'd come. You will soon get this opportunity and will enjoy every second of it!

Congratulations on the install. The seat looks great!

Brian __________________________________

post #1153 of 1590 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 11:21 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to simon johnson
That's a great job! That seat looks really good...
post #1154 of 1590 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Far out! ..how are you steaming them? .... Have you ever contacted Mario at Centro Documentation? I'm curious as to how they described the interior. He said my car had "Leather Tex" interior and I don't know if that is a color, (tan) or the actual material. Keep up the great work and again, thanks for sharing!
There are a few YouTube videos showing this technique. I bought a fabric steamer from the Big Blue store for about $60....it'll be used around the house afterwards. The steam limits the max heat to what...around 212deg F.....and will also expand the foam a little but as the steam enters through the seams. It's surprisingly hot though and will burn off the first layer of skin in a second if you're not careful....AMHIK! I contacted the Centro years ago and they provided the following description for my car..

...."According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1530738 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce USA (105.51), manufactured on the 8th January 1970 but registered on the 31st December 1969 to Alfa Romeo from Newark, U.S.A.The body colour is Francia Blue (AR 342), with wild boar leather skai interior."....

SKAI Leather is Alfa's marketing code name for vinyl....wild boar is a tan color with a very faint hint of light purple veining coming through the base color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
These are important milestones, no matter how small they may seem........Congratulations on the install. The seat looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon johnson View Post
That's a great job! That seat looks really good...
Thank you for that...but I'm not going to celebrate quite yet.....I'm going to reserve that for when the entire interior is done.

post #1155 of 1590 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:19 PM

That is one unusual car ... registered before it got built ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
I contacted the Centro years ago and they provided the following description for my car..

...."According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1530738 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce USA (105.51), manufactured on the 8th January 1970 but registered on the 31st December 1969 to Alfa Romeo from Newark, U.S.A.The body colour is Francia Blue (AR 342), with wild boar leather skai interior."....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in