AFrench Blue '69 GTV Restoration - Page 106 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 207Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1576 of 1588 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
With bodies all apart...I zinc plated all the tubes, screws and springs ...bead blasted the bodies and buffed them out with 000 steel wool...and powder coated the levers.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  62.4 KB

The only thing left is to replace the screws holding the butterflies to the shafts.

I ordered the 4mm screws from McM Carr...but am not totally happy with them. The heads are not just too big at 7,5 mm but the head angle is wrong at 90 degrees. When compared to the originals....the angle should be more like 55-60 degrees....I'll mull over these for a bit to see if a better option is available.
PSk, Nakagtv and AaronsSpider like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal

Last edited by 1750GT; 09-13-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1577 of 1588 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:54 PM

Nice work. Looks great. Maybe try Pierce Manifolds for the screws?
1750GT likes this.

My "rejuvenation" blog: http://65tomfoolery.wordpress.com
'65 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT, a long way to go still….
post #1578 of 1588 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Here's the McMCarr screw on the right w/90 degree x 7.5mm wide head...compare to the OE screw on the left w/55-60 degree x 6mm wide head. Does anyone know the closest DIN spec for the OE screw? It might be 964 but I'd like to pin it down exactly.....with the hope of sourcing the correct one.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1579 of 1588 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:33 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
The slot in that new screw looks really deep. I would be afraid of breakage if it is torqued too much. Why not polish the original ones and re-use?

Brian __________________________________

post #1580 of 1588 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:40 PM

As always, great work Rossano. That intake looks like a piece of art!
1750GT likes this.

Anthony
72 GTV, 72 GTV (Sold), 74 Berlina (Project), 72 Spider (Sold), 76 Spider (Sold), 70 GTJ
post #1581 of 1588 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:04 PM

yeah. I wasn't going to say anything. I'm sure you're sick of hearing compliments from us plebes
1750GT likes this.

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
'67 Giulia '1750' Super - rally car
'87 Milano Gold - troop carrier
----------
'71 145 Volvo Wagon - Alfa engine transport
post #1582 of 1588 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
The slot in that new screw looks really deep. I would be afraid of breakage if it is torqued too much. Why not polish the original ones and re-use?
The OE ones are also very easy to break off the edges since those not being very deep ...there is less material engaged with the tip of the screw driver....happened to me on a couple of the screws. To remove the screws I had to drill out the end of the screw that was flared out making them all shorter than what I'd like to see. With new screws I was going to flare out the ends....I know some folks are going with Loctite only....so I might have to do the same...unless by some luck I can find the correct ones.

Last edited by 1750GT; 09-12-2019 at 05:16 PM.
post #1583 of 1588 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 03:51 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Rossano, reach out to @Gordon Raymond. Being a carburetor guy, he might have some suggestions.
PSk likes this.

post #1584 of 1588 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Those look like Weber M4? butterfly screws

Zaza

Current Alfas:

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
1987 Milano Verde
1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750

Refreshing 1750 GTV
post #1585 of 1588 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakagtv View Post
Those look like Weber M4? butterfly screws
Thanks for that tip. I found these with a torx head and although not 100% correct they have hollowed tails which allows them to be peened or expanded for safety.

Name:  2019-09-12 (1).jpg
Views: 41
Size:  20.1 KB

and these as well from the same seller (can't tell if the tails are hollowed though)..

Name:  2019-09-12 (2).jpg
Views: 42
Size:  20.8 KB

I ordered a set of both styles from this seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELLORTO-WE...S/261083247463

PSk, Nakagtv and AaronsSpider like this.

post #1586 of 1588 (permalink) Old Today, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
One more detail out the way is the oil filter assembly. With Osso's very nice water slide decal and clear coat applied....it's a shame the filter will be hidden low in the engine bay.

Name:  100_6492c.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4665.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  101.7 KB
PSk and GTA ALFA like this.

post #1587 of 1588 (permalink) Old Today, 06:36 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
WOW!
Attached Images

post #1588 of 1588 (permalink) Old Today, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
WOW!
I can tell you really like that!....well me too. Now back to completing the engine.....I finished installation of the cylinder head and a new timing chain. I removed that water pump fan spacer that came with the car after some of you pointed out that it was required only with the aircon installation and sure enough, after I checked some photos of the engine during the teardown phase....I noted that the crankshaft had a double pulley (also the aircon version). I installed the correct single style pulley from a spare engine.

Name:  IMG_4724.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  81.9 KB
AaronsSpider likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode