AFrench Blue '69 GTV Restoration - Page 104 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 218Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1546 of 1592 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:41 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
Or, I go for the better (presumably) German made one...but it'll probably end up costing me $120.00 (all in).
It's never a good idea to pinch pennies on the engine. Build it right to last the rest of your life.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1547 of 1592 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:41 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Hopefully the German ones don't originate in India ... 🙂
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #1548 of 1592 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:37 AM

I am going to use a rotisserie To be able to access all areas so to speak. I will attach the front to the engine mountings but where to attach the back? There is no boot floor and the rear chassis legs are shot. Anybody ever done this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1549 of 1592 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:40 AM

The first line of this message vanished. The car is a 1750 gtv
post #1550 of 1592 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne jones View Post
... but where to attach the back? There is no boot floor and the rear chassis legs are shot. Anybody ever done this ?
You mean both supports are completely gone up to the spring pans and the T-bar mounting points? If not, the photo below shows how I built the rear tilter frame.

Name:  IMG_0403.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  58.9 KB

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal
post #1551 of 1592 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:31 AM

Yes, both chassis members will have to be replaced along with the floor pan under the rear seats. I was thinking of having the frame attached to the engine mtgs at the frone ang going upwards and the rear one coming out of the boot and upwards and the two linked by a bar going through the front and rear wingow aperture. Do you know if these parts are available as they are not listed anywhere I can find... excuse the spelling, Albanian keyboard..
post #1552 of 1592 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne jones View Post
Yes, both chassis members will have to be replaced along with the floor pan under the rear seats. I was thinking of having the frame attached to the engine mtgs at the frone ang going upwards and the rear one coming out of the boot and upwards and the two linked by a bar going through the front and rear wingow aperture. Do you know if these parts are available as they are not listed anywhere I can find... excuse the spelling, Albanian keyboard..
I have never seen these parts available as NOS loose items. I have seen a NOS complete front clip for sale a few years ago....but that's about it. The boot floor and reinforcing bracket for the rear axle strap mounting point are available from Classic Alfa. Sounds to me that you need to source a good complete rear end sub chassis from a donor vehicle. I would contact Classic Alfa....they might be able to help you locate such parts....they've been breaking out cars for years for their own projects......worth a try.

post #1553 of 1592 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:32 AM

Thanks
post #1554 of 1592 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Lower Timing Chain Slack

Finally....after a 2 week vacation break (comprising a 7 day Rhine river cruise..followed by a three day stay in Amsterdam)....then starting a new job....I was finally able to get back to business. New lower timing chain arrived today and after fitting it...I finally have an answer to the question..."how much slack is in a new chain?". The photos show the old ....with slack (or droop) of 0.231" (5.9 mm) from straight...versus the new with a slack of 0.105" (2.7mm). Is this that critical when all is said and done? maybe not so much on this completely mild engine rebuild.
Attached Images

PSk likes this.

Last edited by 1750GT; 08-08-2019 at 03:40 AM.
post #1555 of 1592 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:32 PM

The primary need is to have a tight enough chain that it will not skip a tooth if the engine backfires. Your old chain looks close to that limit, and the new one looks solid. Any tighter chain will probably just increase wear.

Robert
post #1556 of 1592 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Getting back to the engine build....the best I could do w.r.t. to achieving the allowable pinch at the connecting rod big end bearing caps was around .002"-.00175". The factory specs recommend between .0009"-.0025" and although I'm at the upper end of the range....I don't think I need to go any tighter than this. To do so I would have to wet grind down the big end cap surfaces .....which is not something I really want to mess with at this stage. Plus the wear limit according to the factory specs is .005" ...which sure seemed high doesn't it?
Attached Images

Last edited by 1750GT; 08-08-2019 at 04:02 AM.
post #1557 of 1592 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Today was a set aside so as to complete the assembly of the bottom end on the engine. I managed to install the main caps, lower timing chain and front cover...and a few of the ancillaries....

Name:  20190810_184033.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  89.9 KB

When I got to the pistons and liners....I could not find the liner o rings and wrist pin clips..!!!!....arghhhh!!!!........I always left these in the box that the pistons came in....but they weren't there. I spent over an hour scouring every inch of my garage........and all the boxes...but to no avail!.... Then it dawned on me.....I brought that box with the pistons to the balancing shop didn't I?....yes I did, and this was the first time I opened the box up. So what's the likely hood that the shop didn't just toss them out?

Monday first thing I'm going to give them a call ....I hope lady luck is on my side. Should that not be the case....I see that the o rings are available from most of the suppliers....but no one lists wrist pin circlips. I suppose I could use the original ones.....but I already reassembled all the spare parts into an engine and I'd rather not have to dig that out and take it apart again.

Does anyone know where I can get these? Pistons are Borgos.
AaronsSpider likes this.

post #1558 of 1592 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 06:23 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Clean, and good luck

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #1559 of 1592 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Well as it turned out...the balancing shop did not have the circlips in their possession....and as so often happens with misplaced items....sometimes you just need to take a break and resume the search...and sure enough a few days later....I find the dang things right there in the corner of my work bench!

Name:  20190812_163236.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  52.0 KB

The liner o-rings however were nowhere to be found....so a quick call to Classic Alfa...was needed to order a new set (with a spare for good measure). I believe this time they came in record time..4 days amazingly. That allowed me to finally complete the installation of the liners, pistons, connecting rods and oil pump.

Name:  IMG_4559.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  74.8 KB

..and for good measure I threw on the alternator.....I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this engine build...especially since the cylinder head is all ready to be re-assembled....(pics to follow)...

Name:  IMG_4554.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  99.2 KB
PSk and Scalino1300 like this.

post #1560 of 1592 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:10 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post

..and for good measure I threw on the alternator.....I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this engine build...especially since the cylinder head is all ready to be re-assembled....(pics to follow)...

What brand of oil filter is that?

Brian __________________________________

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode