AFrench Blue '69 GTV Restoration - Page 103 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1531 of 1571 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Checking out the bottom end details and I have a feeling that the lower timing chain might be stretched. However I do not see anything in the factory manual that tells us what the length should be. What should be the method of checking this exactly? I know reproduction chains are available...but how good are they really?
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1571 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:46 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
A common issue, I believe
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #1533 of 1571 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
Checking out the bottom end details and I have a feeling that the lower timing chain might be stretched. However I do not see anything in the factory manual that tells us what the length should be. What should be the method of checking this exactly? I know reproduction chains are available...but how good are they really?
Go with IWIS chains, then you're on the safe side,

KR

Thomas

Thomas Linser
(Jan 1967 1300 GT Junior, in bluette w/oxblood skai inetrior)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 1571 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:53 AM

Garage
Thereís a mod that allows for a silent bloc/tensioner to be mounted in the casting to the bottom left (7-8 oíclock). I canít remember the thread. From memory itís a standard piece available for many, many engines.

Other vendors available, etc...

https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105...r-lower-chain/
Attached Images

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...

Last edited by Craig_m67; 06-21-2019 at 02:56 AM.
post #1535 of 1571 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:30 AM

Garage
I have put new repro chains on 3 Alfa engines I rebuilt.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html

Last edited by brad fischer; 06-21-2019 at 03:48 AM.
post #1536 of 1571 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
There’s a mod that allows for a silent bloc/tensioner to be mounted in the casting to the bottom left (7-8 o’clock). I can’t remember the thread. From memory it’s a standard piece available for many, many engines.

Other vendors available, etc...

https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105...r-lower-chain/
Can't remember if I've seen it here but there's a mod using mini parts (as far as I remember) to recreate the Alfaholics part.
post #1537 of 1571 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:04 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
That thing is overkill for a street engine. A new chain is the way to go.

Brian __________________________________

post #1538 of 1571 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:19 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
I wonder how long a new chain lasts? I think not long, as its a bad design as the shafts are too close together meaning the chain spends most of its time going from straight to turning ... promoting wear. Adding a tensioner probably makes the chain stretch quicker as more link turning ...

Luckily this flaw does not produce a timing chain rattle like for example the original Mini (replace timing chain and by weeks end they rattle again).

I know the Chysler v8 of the 70s uses a different chain design which MIGHT be superior in this sort on installation ... but one heck of a reengineering job
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Last edited by PSk; 06-21-2019 at 01:23 PM.
post #1539 of 1571 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad fischer View Post
I have put new repro chains on 3 Alfa engines I rebuilt.
Do you recall the brand name of those? Was there a noticeable difference in droop between the old and new chains though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
That thing is overkill for a street engine. A new chain is the way to go.
I was going to agree totally with you on this. But note that the Montreal engines utilize such a tensioner on the lower chain as well....there must be some benefit on the use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
I wonder how long a new chain lasts?
We might not ever find out...at least not until those engines get rebuilt.

I'm not planning on doing any performance mods whatsoever to this engine. My aim is to keep it all original and I hope that emissions will be close to what the engine achieved at the time as well. Ideally I was hoping that there was a way of checking the length....or amount of droop on the original chain.

post #1540 of 1571 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:44 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
I was going to agree totally with you on this. But note that the Montreal engines utilize such a tensioner on the lower chain as well....there must be some benefit on the use.
It's a different engine. If you want to know the benefits of that gizmo, talk to an engine builder who specializes in race engines. IMHO, it's overkill for a street engine. Yours is going to be stock, so it's even less necessary.

Brian __________________________________

post #1541 of 1571 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
It's a different engine. If you want to know the benefits of that gizmo, talk to an engine builder who specializes in race engines. IMHO, it's overkill for a street engine. Yours is going to be stock, so it's even less necessary.
You may just be right. I'd still like to know the difference in slack between a new chain and a used one. I want to measure mine to see if it's way out of the "correct" size.

post #1542 of 1571 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 03:39 PM

Garage
My dad was a Machinist/Tool and Die... he showed me how to look for wear. The new chains show less flex/play/slack/droop than the used. Don't remember the brand of the chain we bought.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
post #1543 of 1571 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenios View Post
Can't remember if I've seen it here but there's a mod using mini parts (as far as I remember) to recreate the Alfaholics part.
I recognise it from a Renault 12.
I think there are thousands (ok many) of engines with this

There was also a mod that replaced the chain with gears, not sure how successful that was
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...ump-drive.html

I only mentioned them as a bit of lower chain trivia, history etc

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...

Last edited by Craig_m67; 06-22-2019 at 05:27 PM.
post #1544 of 1571 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad fischer View Post
.... Don't remember the brand of the chain we bought.
I see quite a range in prices on these...from CA at BP 9.0 (made in India Rolon brand)... to OKP at EURO 42.00 (IWIS brand made in Germany). I'm thinking that if the cheap ones are made in India with the usual inferior materials (and questionable Quality control)...they won't last so long anyways....in which case the original one I have now may be just as good a couple of years from now. Or, I go for the better (presumably) German made one...but it'll probably end up costing me $120.00 (all in).

Last edited by 1750GT; 06-23-2019 at 08:00 PM.
post #1545 of 1571 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
....There was also a mod that replaced the chain with gears, not sure how successful that was......
Totally unnecessary for my application....but maybe for an all out race set up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode