AFrench Blue '69 GTV Restoration - Page 100 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 191Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1486 of 1573 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks Yachtman. One item that has me wondering are the upper spring seat pans.

Name:  07.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  59.3 KB

I notice that the springs seem not to fit as snugly as I had expected and it got me thinking that I need one of the spacers shown as item 3 in the parts manual perhaps? Might these spacers take up the radial gapping between the spring and the metal sprig seat? I did not find these spacers in my parts boxes ...hoping someone can shed some light on this item with a photo perhaps?

Attachment 1554030
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal

Last edited by 1750GT; 03-04-2019 at 03:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1487 of 1573 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:16 AM

Rossano,

Those ITEM 3 pieces are required if you need to alter the ride height. They come in 3 different thicknesses, if I recall correctly.

Bald Italian guy with a weak spot...or two...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 Giulia Super 1.3, 1975 Lancia Fulvia, 1973 Porsche 914
post #1488 of 1573 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFab View Post
Rossano,

Those ITEM 3 pieces are required if you need to alter the ride height. They come in 3 different thicknesses, if I recall correctly.
For the 69 model year...according to the parts book they come in 6,5mm, 11,5mm, 15,5mm and 21,5mm. Did you find that without these the springs are "loose" in the spring seat? and were these made in aluminum? I have no photos of these from my teardown stage of the restoration.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1489 of 1573 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:07 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
For the 69 model year...according to the parts book they come in 6,5mm, 11,5mm, 15,5mm and 21,5mm. Did you find that without these the springs are "loose" in the spring seat? and were these made in aluminum? I have no photos of these from my teardown stage of the restoration.
I remember the springs felt like I could pull them out with one tug. BUT, the car was off the ground and the rear suspension in full droop.

Brian __________________________________

post #1490 of 1573 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
I remember the springs felt like I could pull them out with one tug. BUT, the car was off the ground and the rear suspension in full droop.
Yes they are weak at full extension.....but did you end up using these spacers then? Are they aluminum ?....any photos of these?

post #1491 of 1573 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:16 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Yes they are weak at full extension.....but did you end up using these spacers then? Are they aluminum ?....any photos of these?
My car did not have spacers when I got it and I did not add them when I did the restoration. The best part is I used the same springs that came on the car when I bought it. They are OE.

I would not worry about this until you get the car finished and on the ground.

post #1492 of 1573 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I was going to do that exactly...I guess I was trying to understand why they sure seem to fit loose in the radial direction and maybe the spacer takes up that extra space?

post #1493 of 1573 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:01 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
You have installed the rubber end things though, right? I think without those your poor bodyshell will get beaten to death
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #1494 of 1573 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:21 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Hello Rossano,
Without the spacer you will need to use thin/sheet metal seat like this:

SU008 REAR SPRING TOP METAL SEAT - ALL 105 SERIES - Classic Alfa

I might sell 12mm? spacers I got from alfaholics, will know once I swap the springs.

Ciao

Zaza

Current Alfas:

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
1987 Milano Verde
1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750

Refreshing 1750 GTV
post #1495 of 1573 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
PSk;8383732]You have installed the rubber end things though, right? ....
Yup in post #1486 I show those....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakagtv View Post
..Without the spacer you will need to use thin/sheet metal seat like this...I might sell 12mm? spacers I got from alfaholics, will know once I swap the springs.
Ciao
Yes as well...same post I mentioned ...#1486 shows both the rubber pads and sheet metal seat pan. Now with the 12,5mm spacer you mention.....can you post up a photo of it?

post #1496 of 1573 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
OK...finally, I just answered my own question after checking out CA's new website and sure enough they have the spacers in question..

SU125 - REAR SPRING SPACER - 11.5mm - Classic Alfa

Aluminum (I had a feeling it was)...Now for this to fit at the top of the spring...there would have to be a gap between the spacer and the spring pan.

I will have to wait to see how the car sits on the ground before determining the needed spacer thickness (if any).

post #1497 of 1573 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Yes, the springs are a bit 'loose' when the car is off the ground but they sit inside of the sheetmetal pocket so no need to worry. I made my own aluminum spacers as I have a set of lower, stiffer springs from Classic Alfa. Without the spacers, my car sits way too low for my liking. I actually took the springs out because even with the spacers I made (started with a 1" plate), it is still too low...but I have a plan as I have since measured and weighed the car . I also have a factory table/chart that shows what the ride heights should be for the various models when laden (I'm sure they are here on the BB somewhere). The spacers are then used to adjust the ride height should the car sit too low (reference measurements taken from the axle to the bump stop rubbers). As was mentioned previously, use what you've got and then you can make adjustments as needed after you start driving the car.

Bald Italian guy with a weak spot...or two...

1972 Giulia Super 1.3, 1975 Lancia Fulvia, 1973 Porsche 914
post #1498 of 1573 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:23 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
I'm sorry, Rossano. I should have checked the parts and shop manuals. There is a springs seat that is called for. I guess I'll need to get a pair for my car.

post #1499 of 1573 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:39 PM

Garage
Rosanno, are you trying to raise the rear end by an inch? Or just use what originally came from the factory?

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
post #1500 of 1573 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:08 AM

Garage
Don't recall those in any of the GTVs I have had. But it has been a while since I worked on rear springs. The rear spacers look like they are essential, not like the front spacers at all. Any images of original rear spacers? That may jog my memory!

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode