Windshield Replacement in Oregon - '67 GTV - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Windshield Replacement in Oregon - '67 GTV

Twelve years ago the upholstery shop redoing my GT's interior brought in a gorilla to reinstall the windshield. He hammered in the trim after the glass was in. It wasn't their fault, said the shop,those huge dents no one noticed before were there all along.

Heavy sigh! I called ReOriginals and ordered new trim (in 2002). After it came, the box was stored in the garage until yesterday. That's when a new made in China windshield replaced the original Alfa glass, and the new trim was finally installed.

So how did it go, you ask? Very well, thank you. Jim Arnold, the Old Car Glass Guy, is a real pro. But ... working with glass from ProSource Glass (Richard Tankel) and trim from ReOriginals took all of Jim's patience and decades of experience. In the end, it all fit, but there was a great deal of suspense in the process. By the way, I like ReOriginals, and Richard Tankel was very nice to deal with. It's just not easy to make perfect copies of Italian car parts.

In this case, it turns out that the bends in the lower corners of the new windshield glass are not exactly the same as on the original, neither are the corners on the new trim. To get the trim to fit, Jim made a tool out of wood and using it and pliers wrapped in a thick rag, finally was able to bend the trim enough to make it sit flush. The photo shows a before. Sorry, I forgot to shoot an after, being excited to be done and begin the hour drive home.

To get the glass and trim into place took a lot of pushing, pulling and gentle pounding on the glass (NEVER on the trim!).

If you buy new trim, take a close look at the underside, on the right and left lower corners. If the trim is not bent correctly, you'll see it at those corners. At least you'll know someone is going to have to bend it in order to make it fit. That may affect who you choose to do the install. If everything fits correctly, it's an easy job. If the pieces were like those sold to me, it will take Jim or someone with his patience and experience to make it work.

Jim did say that he has sources for better windshield glass. As I supplied my own, I did not ask for details. I would trust him with any vintage or classic windshield job, however. And I enjoyed his stories of hot rods past and present.
Attached Images

Gary Williams
Many Alfas. All gone, but none forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks, great info, I just got a windshield from Richard. Got the trim and gaskets from Classic Alfa in the UK. 290 US and 95 for the gasket. I checked with RE and although they are just down the road from me it was still less from the UK and it will be interesting to see how the trim fits. There really can't be to many people making that trim so we'll see. It may be awhile since a new headliner has to go in as well but the car is running to good to take it off the road just yet.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Here is a photo of original factory trim showing how the corners should look. Note how the center rail remains upright all through the bend. On my new trim, that center part was bent in toward the inside of the bend. Jim had to figure out how to roll it back out without making a mess of the trim. The material is soft and easy to marr, but difficult to bend. The second photo is the finished installation. As you can see -- sort of -- there's still a very slight gap. Compare the installed photo to the before photo of the trim being test fitted to the windshield and gasket (my first post) and you'll see a huge difference.
Attached Images

Gary Williams

Last edited by Gary Williams; 10-05-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Here's a followup to the above note. Guess I'll be going back to start now that I have a few miles on the car with new windshield and trim installed. The trim is working loose in the top corners and the gap is opening up. The trim looks terrible! My car had the original windshield and the original trim (I know this to be true because I'm the second owner and have records of every expenditure ever made on the car.). The installer and I compared new and old glass and trim and found that the new stuff was slightly different. The ReOriginals trim, had I compared it to the original when first purchased back in 2002, would have been returned. It was not bent correctly in the corners, which is where the main issues are now.

Gary Williams

Last edited by Gary Williams; 06-11-2015 at 09:53 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Gary:

Sorry to hear about your problems with glass and trim. I think the main take-away from your story is to always watch glass installers like a hawk - that gorilla who pounded in the trim is probably not uncommon. He probably wasn't born yet when gasketed windshields became obsolete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
Jim did say that he has sources for better windshield glass. As I supplied my own, I did not ask for details.
It would be interesting to learn what Jim meant by this comment. Did he mean he knows of a better source for Alfa Romeo 105 coupe windshields specifically, or just that he installs a lot of windshields for different make/model/year cars and usually they go together more easily. My point is that the demand for 45-year old Alfa windshields can't be very high - I'm skeptical that there are multiple factories making it and distributors stocking it.

It sounds like you will be seeing Jim again to sort out the trim problem. It would be interesting to query him further on this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 06-11-2015 at 12:10 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

My guess is that Jim has multiple sources for the type of American classics he does most often, not for Alfas. I plan to call Jim in a few days and will ask about his other sources.

As I reread my post, it brought back the memory of Jim laying the new trim (purchased in 2002) on top of the original and noticing how different the bends looked on the corners. In my case, I believe the main problem is that I voilated a rule I knew from business: When a delivery is made, check it immediately to make sure it is undamaged and correctly made. Waiting more than a decade to unwrap the trim was a receipe for disaster.

Gary Williams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode