sprint gt restoration - Page 9 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris hedley View Post
back at it! fitting new door rubbers and you guest it, cant shut the door. has any one tried door rubbers from different suppliers ,if so what were the best fit? thanks chris
Sorry if I missed it, but where did you source the door rubbers from?

1966 Giulia Sprint $500 junk yard find. I probably overpaid...
1971 1750 Spider basket case , 1972 GTV 2.0 L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 11:05 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
back at it! fitting new door rubbers and you guest it, cant shut the door. has any one tried door rubbers from different suppliers ,if so what were the best fit? thanks chris
Not that you want to hear/read this but I guess it is not the rubbers fault but the doors.

Have you confirmed that the door's groove is correct and in the right place. If the sill/rocker panel is too high it will cause this issue too.

It is such a terrible design by Alfa ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Tdskip,they are from Classic Alfa ,everything I have had from them has been fine , PSk sorry I don't know what you mean by door groove, do you mean the swage line that goes through the side of the car ,if so it is straight along on both sides. thanks chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 03:01 PM

Hi Chris.
Just wanted to know if you fitted the headliner before or after fitting the front and rear Windows.?
Thanks
Robert
post #125 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 12:49 AM
PSk

Quote:
Tdskip,they are from Classic Alfa ,everything I have had from them has been fine , PSk sorry I don't know what you mean by door groove, do you mean the swage line that goes through the side of the car ,if so it is straight along on both sides. thanks chris
The doors on these cars have a groove in them (around the inside of the inner door frame) that has to be accurately aligned to where the seal is located in the door opening. If there is a discrepancy the seal will not be able to compress to its correct shape and the door will not close properly.

I'll try and find a photo.

Here you go. Note the "groove" around the inner door frame, pointed to by the arrow. That is where the seal has to make contact. The accuracy required is scary, maybe + or - 2mm's IMO.
Pete
Attached Images

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 05-18-2016 at 01:01 AM.
post #126 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 12:50 AM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvo0 View Post
Hi Chris.
Just wanted to know if you fitted the headliner before or after fitting the front and rear Windows.?
Thanks
Robert
Has to be before the windows are fitted.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #127 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
The accuracy required is scary, maybe + or - 2mm's IMO.
Pete
eek!

1972 GT 1600 Junior
At the very start of a long restoration road....
post #128 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 11:16 AM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMart View Post
eek!
This is why seals must be fitted during the metal work of these cars and the doors trial fitted.

Unfortunately it takes a bloody long time to fit the seals so is a big **** pain. And yes my doors would not close, but it's not the seals fault it was the alignment of the door. Looked great on the outside, but that groove was not in the right place versus the door opening ... a many hours of work later and now closes perfectly.

No where on these cars is the design so very poor. What were they thinking? In fact can we ask Alfa Romeo?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #129 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Not that you want to hear/read this but I guess it is not the rubbers fault but the doors.

Have you confirmed that the door's groove is correct and in the right place. If the sill/rocker panel is too high it will cause this issue too.

It is such a terrible design by Alfa ...
Pete
Take a close look at things from the inside. On mine all the binding is at the sill. If I pull the rubbers out of the skuff plate and let them lay there the door shuts easily. Clearly this points to the plate being too high of the door too low but both of these will not be easy to adjust. My outside gaps are perfect. I think any work in a body shop needs to check the door fit on the inside as precisely as the outside or test install these rubbers before paint.
PSk likes this.

68' Parisian Alfa GTV 1750
post #130 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

sprint gt resoration

hi Pete and others, thanks for the info, I have not been able go back to the car yet as im still on the ceiling!! we have restored loads of cars and never had a problem like this, maybe we were rushing a bit, I don't know. will report back next week. just a pic of we can do. I know its not Alfa.
Attached Images

post #131 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 11:31 AM
PSk

Amazing Mustang and restoration.

I do know that places like AlfaHolics provide their body shops with a new door seal to use while they do the body work and then throw it away and put another nice new one on the car during the build (as the body shop will undoubtably make a mess of their one).

With my car I had exactly the same issue that BostonBertone describes but solved it by modifying my door. I guess I installed the outer chassis or sill/rocker a tiny bit too high ...

Best
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #132 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

sprint gt restoration

I have taken all your advise, looked at the door shut again, now the door shuts fine, after some delicate adjustments, see picture. thanks again everyone .
Attached Images

post #133 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

forgot to say on the floor are the tools of the trade!!
post #134 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 03:29 AM

Made me smile when I read 'delicate adjustments' and noticed the mallet on the floor!

1972 GT 1600 Junior
At the very start of a long restoration road....
post #135 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 09:06 AM

I'm just about to start replacing all sills/rockets and floor pans on my GT JR so this is good to know. The accuracy is a bit scary!

Perhaps some info on the measurement or distance between sill/rocker and the roof would be helpful?
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode