Gas gauge or sender problem ? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Gas gauge or sender problem ?

First drive of the year all is well except my gas gauge reads very near 0 and the red lite is on in the gauge. Before I look into any thing I will guess the float has a hole and sunk. Anyone else want to offer a guess???

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:34 AM

Garage
Hi Brad,

The sending unit is easy to get to and test. You may wish to start there and first check if the connections are sound before removing the unit from the top of the fuel tank for troubleshooting. At least you know your low fuel level light works. I did have to replace my sending unit some years ago.

I'm sure you'll have many opinions on this one... good luck !

-Doug
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 10:56 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

The gauge part and the light are actually two different circuits on the sender. Basically the only way I can think of for them to actuate at the same time is for the float arm to be physically down. So a float problem seems likely.

That or you forgot to fill up the tank last fall...

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74 GTV View Post
The sending unit is easy to get to and test. You may wish to start there and first check if the connections are sound before removing the unit from the top of the fuel tank for troubleshooting.
If the connections at the sender weren't good, the "low fuel" light wouldn't be on. No, think the problem is probably mechanical and not electrical; e.g., the float has indeed sunk.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
The gauge part and the light are actually two different circuits on the sender. Basically the only way I can think of for them to actuate at the same time is for the float arm to be physically down. So a float problem seems likely.

That or you forgot to fill up the tank last fall...
My 1st guess was that I forgot to fill the tank last fall, first trip was to get a fill up, took 1 litre of gas. Checked my fuel mileage log book, I did indeed fill it last fall. 2nd guess after that was that the float sunk.
Can a Veggia and Jaeger sender be identified when installed in a tank. I have a spare tank with a sender I think, I will have to dig it out of the garage attic, will be my luck to be a Jaeger, when my gauges are Veglia.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Interesting, today when I drove it, I started to notice the gauge slowly creeping up from 0, the red lite went out. It was at 1/4 half way through my 10 mile trip and at 1/2 when I pulled in the garage. Float regaining buoyancy? Don't think so? Maybe the resistance of the wiper contact was too much and it cleaned up with some motion? Last year I recall that a fill up would only produce 7/8 - 3/4 reading on the gas gauge.?

Last edited by brad fischer; 04-22-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Got my spare tank out, it has a Veglia sender. Took the sender out, snapped 1 small machine screw of the 6. Want to take the rectangular plastic cover off the sender for inspection, don't want to break it.
My gauge today reads 5/8 of a tank today, odd? The resistance to ground of the variable resistor in the sender is about 55 - 60 Ohms. It looks like the Veglia sender is designed to be about 10 Ohms at E and about 100 Ohms at F, Those #s are from my spare gauge. So my previous theory about some contacts cleaning themselves after some motion looks wrong.

Last edited by brad fischer; 04-22-2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 AM

I have a similar problem but when I tap on the gauge it often will go up as does my oil pressure gauge. Maybe these two gauges have a common ground?

Todd
'59 Sprint '71 GTV
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wired up and grounded my spare sender in the trunk to test, works perfect. On my last drive the OE sender in the tank caused the gauge to read 3/4 tank. It is getting better each time I drive it. Weird, self fixing sender problem? Will have to wait a while till I drive enough miles to get the tank to under 1/4. How critical is the gasket between sender and tank? Can it be reused?

Last edited by brad fischer; 05-16-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Reuse if you are lucky but whatever you do, do NOT use silicone
Chuck
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tank was near E so I had the time and inclination to swap out my sender. Found the original in the tank with the screen worn out and the float partially full of gas. Problem solved now the gauge reads a little higher.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode