Alfa Romeo Forums banner

SPICA 1750/2000 air cleaner plate

22K views 114 replies 28 participants last post by  elite38868 
#1 ·
Does anyone reproduce the 1750 or 2000 plates that are/appear to be riveted to the top of the airbox? It's nearly impossible to find one that is in excellent shape..

If no one has, perhaps we can get together if enough people are interested and get them reproduced.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
SPICA airbox plate topic--still alive?

Anyone still looking for a source for a replacement SPICA plate for an airbox? I need a 1750 one in good shape. Yellow stickers too.

No idea where to start looking apart from the usual sources for used stuff. But anything there is probably no better than the damaged part I already have.

Ideas welcome. Thx

Scott

Attachments

#10 ·
There are a couple posts going on about this, so I figured I would update this one:

"The drawings for the 1750 are done, now waiting for the 2000 to be finished. It's extremely tedious, wish I knew if this is a specific font.

Does anyone know if the numbers on the bottom of the 2000 label had any variations?"

#12 · (Edited)
Got my first quote and wasn't impressed. Would people be willing to pay $50-60 for this? My guess is they would not and the lack of interest in this thread kind of confirms my suspicions. I'll keep looking though. There is a ton of work involved in this process, so we may have to just savor the plates we have.

-S

#19 ·
Good to know, thanks! Will keep everyone updated. It's a slowwww process! :|

I received the stainless samples, but they sent me the wrong thickness, so probably another week until I can get the right sample in.

S

#22 ·
1750 plate--YES!

I'm in for a plate for a 1750 at $60. Sorry not to respond sooner--I just got the notice that there were newer posts to this thread. Not sure why I've not received the e-mail notifications before.

BTW, since I'm here, a quick update on the 1750 Spider I'm restoring. Many details to share for another day (I'll do a whole post one of these days) but for the time being, the car is apart and most of the systems and parts have been completely rebuilt--every nut and bolt. Trying to stay sorta original but upgrading in some respects (e.g. aluminum radiator, performance cams, some polishing here and there, etc.).

Here are some of the parts that have been redone and are ready to go in once paint is completed. Couldn't resist sharing some of the process.

Thanks for looking!

Scott

Attachments

#24 ·
I'm in for a plate for a 1750 at $60. Sorry not to respond sooner--I just got the notice that there were newer posts to this thread. Not sure why I've not received the e-mail notifications before.

BTW, since I'm here, a quick update on the 1750 Spider I'm restoring. Many details to share for another day (I'll do a whole post one of these days) but for the time being, the car is apart and most of the systems and parts have been completely rebuilt--every nut and bolt. Trying to stay sorta original but upgrading in some respects (e.g. aluminum radiator, performance cams, some polishing here and there, etc.).

Here are some of the parts that have been redone and are ready to go in once paint is completed. Couldn't resist sharing some of the process.

Thanks for looking!

Scott
Scott, looks like you also have a '69, that engine and those boosters look fantastic!

#23 ·
Hi guys,

Got the correct stainless sheet sample in and it looks decent. I need to confirm the thickness with a few other plates. I'm not happy with the price from my vendor for etching and sheer cutting so i'm still looking at other vendors too, but i'll probably have a run of 10 made soon just to make sure its doable.

Stay tuned and thanks for speaking up about interest!

Sean

#25 ·
Thanks. Yes, mine's a 1969 1750 roundtail spider. I started tearing the thing apart basically as soon as I got it b/c it really didn't run faithfully and wasn't safe; and I knew I wanted to rebuilt it anyhow.

Chuck Schwartz has been my inspiration (same year and model in green; recently sold at RM-Monterey for record $$) and Chuck has offered several tips and much encouragement.

Shown here is car as I received it--in red paint. Basically it looked pretty good overall but upon inspection we found some significant rust, old repair work from collisions (front and read apparently, including a poor clip replacement in front), etc. Plus issues with the power train, suspension etc. In other words, the bones were there but the years had taken their toll. It also had DellOrto carb and I wanted to go back to SPICA injection.

Other random shots below show the exhaust manifolds before and after Jet-coating; the SPICA FI from Wes Ingram ready to go in; front bumperettes before and after polish. Just a taste.

That 1750 plate would really help make the engine bay.....

Scott

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.