Alfa Romeo Forums banner

SPICA 1750/2000 air cleaner plate

22K views 114 replies 28 participants last post by  elite38868 
#1 ·
Does anyone reproduce the 1750 or 2000 plates that are/appear to be riveted to the top of the airbox? It's nearly impossible to find one that is in excellent shape..

If no one has, perhaps we can get together if enough people are interested and get them reproduced.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
I would think you'd want photos of the OUTSIDE, not the inside, to see what the rivets look like, no? Anyway, I can't help since the rivets are already out on mine--sorry. But look here for some idea of what others have posted:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/197412-1750-spica-airboxes.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...-elsewhere/150982-what-year-spica-airbox.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/150543-spica-air-box-refinished.html

Good luck.

Scott

#33 ·
Thanks Scott. Reason for the odd request is that there are several different types of rivets and I wanted to get as close to factory as possible. I plan on including 4 rivets with each plate sold.

On a side note, 10 plates are being made as a sample run, 5 of each. Hopefully all goes well! I'll let you know when I get my hands on them, but it should be as soon as a week or two.

#39 · (Edited)
I just approved the tooling today for production.

(provided that they come out decent)
: For this batch of 10, it looks like pricing will be ~$43.00 + shipping (~$5 USA) per plate. This will also include 4 rivets.

I'll sell the batch of 10 on here and then when I do the big order, I'll probably do an eBay store thing or something.

More details to come.

#56 ·
Last I heard from them on Friday was that they had to reject the 1st batch due to a staining problem they had. They assured me that the project was still doable and should be completed this week. Fingers crossed.

#58 ·
Hey Elite,
What is the process they are using to get the image etched into the plate?
Is it chemical, blasting, paint, laser or something else?
What ever the process, hopefully it's long lasting.
Cheers,
MDKMiami
I believe it's a chemical etch. Should last another 40 years or more if taken care of and cleaned every once in a while. If exposed to east coast winters/salt/elements outside, it would probably wear much faster.

#60 ·
Wish I had an update, hopefully I hear something this week.

There are a couple threads on the paint color, seems that tower paint has the correct color at $40/can...or ACE hardware had a close second. Maybe I should offer an airbox restoration service...haha

#64 ·
The plates are on their way! Stay tuned. If all goes well, I will go through the pages here and my PM box and contact folks in the order that they showed interest. I will most likely run out before even I get to keep one for my own car, but fear not, I will be placing a much larger order soon, this was just to see if they come out OK.

Sean

#65 ·
Sneak Preview

Okay, here's a sneak preview of the first batch. Couple things I need to do before they are ready, the mounting holes need to be reamed ever so slightly so that a 1/8" rivet fits. Some hairline scratches in a couple of these need to be polished out. Two of the 1750 plates had some slight staining, so they are not sell-able.

*note, the "2" in the 2000 plate isn't discolored, it is just some reflection of wall art.

Sean

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.