LED lights for your Stepnose, How to... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

LED lights for your Stepnose, How to...

Hello all!

I would like to share my recent work upgrading all the lights on my GTJr Stepnose with series 2 dashboard.
I purchased all my lights from here.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Here is what I ordered:

1. BA7s LED Bulb - Green x3 (Dashboard Headlight, right and left turn dashboard indicator)
2. BA7s LED Bulb - Blue x1 (Dasboard Brights indicator)
3. BA9s 4-LED 12VDC Bayonet Base Bulb - Amber x2 (Right and Left side fender turn signals)
4. 67 LED Bulb - White x2 (Front Running Lights)
5. 1156-A24 Amber LED Bulb - Wide x2 (Right and Left front Turn Signals)
6. Right Angle 30 LED Bulb - Red LED 1156 x2 (Right and Left rear Turn Signals)
7. Right Angle 30 LED Bulb - Red LED 1157 x2 (Right and Left brake lights)
8. 1156-W24 White LED Bulb - Wide x1 (Backup lamp)
9. LED Bulb flasher Unit - CF13GL-02 (for all your turn signals)

Ok, they install just like regualr bulbs. Here are some things to keep in mind.

1. The Right angle 1157 brake lamps (item number seven) had to be rotated 180 degrees... I used some pliers to gently grab the base, and I held the lamp portion and twisted until the glue gave, and I could spin it around. This did no damage and it friction fits back into the base. No problems.

2. The Flasher unit needed a ground wire installed. Easy. L=Load. (mine was a black wire) B=12vdc. (should be a red wire) E=Ground.

3. I have solid red rear lamp covers. If you have the split amber/red, then for your turn signals you need to get the Right Angle 30 LED Bulb - Amber LED 1156 x2, not the red ones, for item number six above.

4. Check the polarity of any lamp that does not work. Your wires may be backwards, or your contact or ground is bad.

5. If you do not want to blow fuses, disconnect the battery, mistakes can happen.

6. Remove all watches rings and jewelry while working with electricity. If you cannot remove your wedding band, then wrap it with serveral winds of electrical tape and make sure it is fully covered.

7. I am sure most of this will work with most of the other Alfas out there as well, just be aware of what lamps you use, and the color of the lamp housing. Always match the color of the LED to the housing, unless the housing is clear...

These lights all work great! My car is more visable and therefore safer.

Shoutout and thanks for help goes to:

papajam
spannerman
haus

All for now, Ciao!

(I will include pictures when it stops raining...)

James
1970 GTjr : 2000 Lotus Elise 111S

Last edited by Insoc; 07-13-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

GREAT write up, James!

Thanks!

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 06:46 PM

Don't forget the 3910-x6 LED Festoon bulb (x2) for the interior grab-handle lights. They are not very bright, but at least they will not melt the plastic covers.

Will the 4-led BA9s fit in the same barrell as the single led version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

If I am reading you correctly yes, all the BA9 bulbs use the same barrel/base. The 4LED version is a little larger diameter then the single bulb version. You need to verify the size of the hole you will be sticking it into.

I have not done the overhead lights and instrument guages yet, but I will very soon.

James
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 01:00 AM

I just want something that actually lights up the instrument binnacles so i can see how fast im going.. The candles in there at the moment are getting a tad annoying.. Any suggestions?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Hello py105!

I do not know Berlina Dashboards, but my dashboard Instrument Guages will use the following LED bulb. I have not changed them yet (ordering today) so I cannot comment on wether they are brighter and make the guages easier to read. I will be doing this very soon.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/ba9s.htm

Specifically:

BA9S-W-WV

That is a White single LED wide viewing angle, to light the whole thing. I will also try the 4 bulb version to see how it lights as well.

More later! Ciao!

James
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Pictures of my installation Part 1...

Hello all!

The first two pictures are of the bulbs themselves installed.

The next three are of the rear lens, first one is no lights. Second one is running lights on. Third is with the brake on. All of these are taken middle of the day.

More pics next post.
Attached Images

James
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Installation part 2...

Here are the final pics.

First picture is rear lens with running lights and turn signal on.
Second picture is the running lights front.
Thrid picture is running lights and turn signal front.
Fourth is the side indicator.
Attached Images

James
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 04:33 PM

That's certainly a lot brighter - I guess I don't like that really concentrated light that bunched LEDs give - but i can certainly understand why you'd do it. I personally find that for brake lights LEDs are actually too bright. When Im following a BMW 3series coupe (the '04 updated ones) with LED rear lights they are simply too strong to look at, it hurts my eyes something shocking.

Anyway, let me know how you go with the dash lights, they will probably be very similar to 'Lina so i'll watch with interest. If you can find an LED that gives a better spread light rather than a point light that'd be perfect.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

My 65 Sprint GT had original soft lit square dash indicator lights rather than brighter point lights as later. The soft lights were much easier on your eyes. Don't know why they changed.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by py105
That's certainly a lot brighter - I guess I don't like that really concentrated light that bunched LEDs give - but i can certainly understand why you'd do it. I personally find that for brake lights LEDs are actually too bright. When Im following a BMW 3series coupe (the '04 updated ones) with LED rear lights they are simply too strong to look at, it hurts my eyes something shocking.

Anyway, let me know how you go with the dash lights, they will probably be very similar to 'Lina so i'll watch with interest. If you can find an LED that gives a better spread light rather than a point light that'd be perfect.
Especially as 3-series etc. have 'clear/flat' lenses so you can see straight into the LED.

We run LED bulbs on our race car when we are night racing.... better visability and look funky too in the pitch black!

[COLOR=Blue]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR]

1966 2.0 Sprint GT race car, 1967 T/S GTA Replica, 1965 FIA App.K 1600 GTA, 1965 1600 GTA Stradale RHD, 1965 1600 GTA Stradale LHD, 1966 1600 Giulia GTC, 1991 S4 Spider, 1967 1600 Duetto, 1999 2.0 916GTV (soon to be sold!) and now replaced with 2002 3.0 V6 24v 916 GTV
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

LED lights for the Series 2 Dashboard...

Hello again,

Well, so far the first setup did not work out so well.

Originally the instrument guages were lit with Osram 3W bulbs, and now I have used wide angle white LEDs. Ends up the 3w bulb gave off more visable light.

I am now ordering white LED bulbs with four white leds in it vs one. I thought the one would work because it was a wide viewing angle, but it is not any brighter then the 3W bulbs they replaced.

The four bulb version is not a wide viewing angle so it may not work as well due to the light being concentrated. I will keep you posted.

As a side note the little BA7 bulbs I used for the headlight and brights indicators are very bright and I think for most people too bright, so if you try this be prepared not to like it. So far it looks like LEDs are great for external use only, and not great for in the dash...
Except the Festoon bulbs for the Overhead lights, they work great!!!

3910-x6 LED Festoon bulb - White

I am including pics.

1. What my running lights look like at night with the headlights off.
2. What the overhead light looks like at night.
3. A comparison of the White LED vs the Osram 3W bulb in the instruments.

Enjoy! More Later!

P.S.

I just tried one of the BA9s 4LED Amber bulbs I had as a turn signal, and it worked very well compared to the single white wide angle LED. So I believe that the BA9s 4LED white bulbs will work out better for the guages. I have them on order now, but if you like an antique patina look to your guages, then I suggest the BA9s 4LED amber bulbs, looks very vintage!
Attached Images

James

Last edited by Insoc; 07-19-2006 at 07:05 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 02:23 AM

James,

Great pioneering work, and thanks for taking the trouble to document everything! I am also planning to use the LED unit to replace the festoon bulbs in the interior lights so that the lenses don't melt any more. If anything, do you think your lights are now almost too bright?? On this topic, there was a comprehensive thread last year about increasing instrument brightness, and I felt the nicest result came from simply lining the inner body of the instruments with silver foil (use the stuff from model/hobby shops) as it usefully boosted the visibilty of the gauges without being too harsh on the eyes. However, care does have to be taken when disassembling as the retaining tabs are fragile.

I'm also going to try to hook up that little light inside the Sprint GT ashtray which is supposed to come on with the sidelights, is this also on your list (if your GT Jr has one fitted)?

Alex.

p.s. I seem to recall that you can buy kits which delay the interior lights going off for 15 seconds or so, like a modern car, and switch off sooner if the engine is fired up ... has anyone done this useful mod?

Last edited by Alex; 07-20-2006 at 02:36 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Hello Alex,

The Festoon Lights

3910-x6 LED Festoon bulb - White

Or you could try

3910-x4 LED Festoon bulb - White

If the 6 LED versions are too bright for you. I don't think so, I think it is a good amount.

I do not know how to take my guages apart. I understand that I can pry off the chrome ring, but I am scared to, but it is needed, as my speedometer does not work for well...

I do not have the Ashtray in my car.

James
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:49 AM
jjb

Hi all,

Last year, I completely re-did my dash with LED lights. If you really want to get into it, here's the link. A lot of work, but I am very happy with the results.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/show...ments+solution

Cheers

JJB
1969 1750 Spider Veloce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode