Idea: How about Photos of 105 GT's only? - Page 137 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 667Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2041 of 2586 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 06:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon johnson View Post
Nice to see these, she's a beauty!

Might have to post some of my lightweight grp GTA replica one of these days... I put some on the main ABB pics page but I don't think I have on this thread....
No time like the present

Current cars 1975 spyder under resto, 1973 Berlina Resto 1976 Berlina parts car 1972 GTjunior fully restored, 1 complete rolling shell spyder.exit 1989 75 T/S sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2586 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 12:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to simon johnson
OK, here goes, I've rounded up a few pics....

Started out as a very rusty 1971 1750 mk2, re-bodied in grp as a wide-body GTA Junior replica by Ian Ellis Classic Alfa - she now weighs in at about 850 kilos...

Engine was already a 2000 with C&B cams so I've just added a 123 and Alfaholics stainless exhaust...
Attached Images

post #2043 of 2586 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 01:21 PM

A few more details...

...and in action at Castle Combe
Attached Images

Antonio105 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2044 of 2586 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 01:28 PM

Nice one Simon!
Here's a few of my own "GTA-P" P for Plastica as all the outer panels are GRP, lots of lightweight parts, the mission was to build as light a car as possible yet still be road-legal. It measured 700kg on a weighbridge & is fitted with a 2.0 Twinspark on throttle bodies.
Attached Images

Ian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2045 of 2586 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 02:15 PM

Garage
Two beauties, well done on both Ian, your silver car at 700 kgs is very, very light, I didn't go the whole hog with the lightweight suspension parts which must make a difference. We've estimated mine to be between 800 and 850.
Congrats to you both,
Steve

GTA R
1963 Giulia Ti Super Rep
post #2046 of 2586 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 09:52 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
So with these exterior panels being plastic has 'she' lost any rigidity?

I would have thought the rear guards working with the inner arches would account for a lot of the shell strength ... ??
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #2047 of 2586 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:22 AM

Garage
Not in the slightest, my car is the third GRP clad one I've driven, and they feel just as taught as the original. Bob Wright, who did my shell, (and who has built around 50 like this over the last 40 years,) increases rigidity by welding in a 4" top hat steel section at sill height between the bottom of the A post and the front of the rear wheel arch. Cornering fast on bumpy roads feels just as good as the original
Steve

GTA R
1963 Giulia Ti Super Rep
post #2048 of 2586 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 05:02 AM

OK, Ian (post 2048), your car looks like a seamless fusion of GRP and metal. I like it.

As the owner of a car which needs a new nose, door and tail in order to be 'right', you have renewed my interest in the GRP thing as a solution...especially considering the weight loss.

As much as I Lurve the GTAm wheels, the big arches they dictate makes it look like those cars spent too much time in the Gym for my taste, at least for a road car. I don't wish to 'diss' that look, coz it is still nice, but on balance, the semi-standard GTA style you have adopted suits me more - have you detailed your build, including GRP panel sources anywhere on the BB or elsewhere?

Last edited by Ranz; 10-19-2015 at 05:07 AM.
post #2049 of 2586 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA R View Post
It's a two litre with less than a thousand miles, Piper 285/2 camshafts, well ported cylinder head, 40 DCOE's re-jetted and choked to suit, 10.6 : 1 CR, polished & balanced bottom end, GTA exhaust, 123 distributor, lightened flywheel, rebuilt gearbox, lsd, all new.
Not been on the rollers yet, but would expect min 165bhp,
Steve
And it looks like she is for sale now as well, is that true Steve? I saw her on Car & Classic today. Lot of car for not too much money.

Last edited by NigelR; 10-19-2015 at 07:01 AM.
post #2050 of 2586 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 07:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelR View Post
And it looks like she is for sale now as well, is that true Steve? I saw her on Car & Classic today. Lot of car for not too much money.
Yes Nigel, very, very sadly to make way for a new project. I only wish I had the space to keep them all !
But I have a list of cars to own before I get too decrepit, and time is running out .....

Steve

GTA R
1963 Giulia Ti Super Rep
post #2051 of 2586 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 07:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon johnson View Post
Started out as a very rusty 1971 1750 mk2, re-bodied in grp as a wide-body GTA Junior replica by Ian Ellis Classic Alfa - she now weighs in at about 850 kilos...

Engine was already a 2000 with C&B cams so I've just added a 123 and Alfaholics stainless exhaust...
I've had a passenger ride round Castle Coombe in this car and it is fantastic (despite the 916 GTV seats )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianellisalfa View Post
Here's a few of my own "GTA-P" P for Plastica as all the outer panels are GRP, lots of lightweight parts, the mission was to build as light a car as possible yet still be road-legal. It measured 700kg on a weighbridge & is fitted with a 2.0 Twinspark on throttle bodies.
Not been in this one but seen it at Ian's workshop and it is a beautiful car.
post #2052 of 2586 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:34 AM

My '68 in the woods.
Attached Images

1968 GT 1300 Junior
1971 Spider 2000
post #2053 of 2586 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:39 PM
jpv

Lovely stepnose man! Where in Norway do you live?
I'm living in Oslo but my Alfa stayed behind in Portugal. I use it for trackdays and roadtrips when I go back on vacations.
post #2054 of 2586 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
OK, Ian (post 2048), your car looks like a seamless fusion of GRP and metal. I like it.

As the owner of a car which needs a new nose, door and tail in order to be 'right', you have renewed my interest in the GRP thing as a solution...especially considering the weight loss.

As much as I Lurve the GTAm wheels, the big arches they dictate makes it look like those cars spent too much time in the Gym for my taste, at least for a road car. I don't wish to 'diss' that look, coz it is still nice, but on balance, the semi-standard GTA style you have adopted suits me more - have you detailed your build, including GRP panel sources anywhere on the BB or elsewhere?
Hi Ranz, you can see a summary of the build on my website here: Alfa GTA replica progress
The panels are from Bob Wright in the North East of the UK but they needed a lot of block work to make them smooth & ripple-free. The panels were riveted & bonded to the steel with panel bonding adhesive by Teroson (claimed to be as strong as welding!) and the shell had extra stiffening & (in carefully selected areas) some seam welding.

Ian

post #2055 of 2586 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
So with these exterior panels being plastic has 'she' lost any rigidity?

I would have thought the rear guards working with the inner arches would account for a lot of the shell strength ... ??
Pete
We added a roll cage to mine to help with rigidity, and add a measure of side protection (grp doors)... she feels extremely rigid...

Tags
alfa, show me you butt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode