1964 Sprint GT Build (Dargle to Dargle) - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

1964 Sprint GT Build (Dargle to Dargle)

Hello guys.

Next year I will be driving from The Dargle Valley (South Africa) to The Dargle Valley (Republic of Ireland) in my 1964 Giulia Sprint GT, over Africa, Europe and The United Kingdom. You know, as one does.

The blog is at dargletodargle.com (there's nothing on it now, but hopefully in a week or so it will have come along). But I thought I'd document the build here, and perhaps get some advice along the way as well.

I bought this car early last year, from a friend who had planned to rebuild it as a GTA replica. He had lost interest in it, and I was eager to get hold of a Sprint GT (the original of the 105 GTs, I like that sort of thing) and this one is "matching numbers", well, as far as one can be (proper 00502 engine and cylinder head without the bolts on the front).

When I got the car it had been sitting as a shell, recently painted, with all its parts in boxes. It had been done over in AR501 Red, and had the GTA air holes cut into the front of it. It also had the holes for the Stepnose centre heart filled in.

This is how it arrived:

There was some slight damage to the front, which we corrected. Then I just had to choose a colour. This I found really difficult because I'm just not a fan of red cars, and I wanted something that wouldn't blend into modern traffic.

It eventually came to a choice between Bluette and Pino Verde. The latter, I discovered, was a 1967 colour, so too late for my car. So bluette it was. I also decided to leave the GTA holes in the front of the car because, well, the desert is fairly warm, I hear.

And that brings us roughly up to date. More to follow, with loads of photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:56 PM

I love bluette and I love the craziness of your proposed adventure! I will be watching this one eagerly. Good choice on a Sprint GT, they are only getting more and more desirable. I'd leave off fitting the GT slatted grille until you finish your adventure though! They break pretty easily and are rare as hens teeth.

I will watch your website but keep this thread up to date too please!

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #3 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 12:49 AM

Terrific idea - but you're a brave man to attempt that in a Sprint GT. If you had to choose an Alfa of that era, I would go for a Berlina - the panels / bumpers / glass etc are cheaper and more easily found. More room inside too. But anyway - yes, keep the delicate front grilles in storage and just use some mesh instead. What about the chassis prep? Any reinforcements made? Take a look at this company in Australia and find out what they recommend. One or two other contributors to the BB have built rally cars in the past, might be useful to do a search for more info. Good luck! I'll be watching your adventures with interest.

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your support guys.

I decided to do this trip after buying the GT, and I like the idea of doing it in an unsuitable car.

I'm actually not making any changes to the car. When I first started planning this trip I was going to have a roll cage and seem-welded chassis. I was also going to use 2000 GTV brakes on it.

But I thought, so much of the challenge is doing this in an old car, and I need to just accept that the car is the way it is. When you start changing things; where do you draw the line? So I'm sticking with the original grill (which I'll have sorted so it won't crack, hopefully) and the Dunlop brakes, the 15x4.5 wheels, and original motor. The car will actually be a pretty correct Sprint GT when it goes on the trip.

Here are some photos of things I've been fiddling with while waiting for a shipment from England:

The heater box had been stored outside, I think. It was very beat up.

I haven't got round to the bottom half of it yet, as I need to collect some parts for it first.
post #5 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 01:06 AM

Hi Jethro
Glad to read that you plan to keep your car as original as possible.
Have you been in touch with [email protected] about your build date? It looks as if your might have very early RHD by the look of the type/tipo plate. Does the bonnet have the lever arm type stay?

Gone: 1970 GTV 1750 S2, 1990 164, 1991 75TS, 2000 2.0 GTV 1x 1965 Giulia Sprint GT
Current: 2006 166 V6, 1 x 1965 Giulia Sprint GT
post #6 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 02:16 AM
rms

Very cool!

Last edited by rms; 07-11-2013 at 02:20 AM.
post #7 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Lovely colour and these cars are/were durable especially with original spring and shock rates.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #8 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 04:56 AM

Yes true and I totally wish you all the luck on your journey, it will be an amazing trip. Love the colour, but then I love blue cars, and red well every one has a red car !!

But if it were me, I most definitely wouldn't be using 15x4.5 wheels. This limits you to 15x70x155 or at most 165 tyres and to my mind these are way too skinny, especially for the trip you are making. If you are going with 15 inch wheels, which is fine, do at least have 5.5-6 inch wheels as this then would give you a much better tyre dimension allowing up to 175 or even 185 which truthfully will give you far greater road stability and comfort.

I know there are people out there who seem to like skinny tyres noting that this is more period and supposedly makes the car more lively, but having tried both there is absolutely no way I would ever go for skinny tall tyres, they simply aren't safe in my view under modern driving conditions. Your choice of course.

The other thing, given the conditions you will need to travel across Africa etc is really do all you can to ensure that the cooling system is completely adequate for the conditions. The last thing you would wish for is for the engine to overheat and result in a blown head gasket or worse. Also definitely install a sump guard, the risk I can well imagine on the rough roads you will encounter is likely to be great otherwise.

Just some thoughts to consider. Like all, will be most keen to hear/see how the trip goes.

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
years"
post #9 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

@Shane1750

It has the mounting points for one but I think the arm itself was lost at some point. I'm actually looking for one.

@Super1600

I really like the look of the skinny wheels. And my everyday driver is a really tired, old GTV2000 which crashes about on its suspension, I'm not too fussed about comfort. I won't have sporty shocks and coils, so that should make it a fairly comfy ride anyway.

The cooling was something that worried me. So I'm having the radiator re-cored. Where the radio fits into the dashboard I'm fitting a little panel with a big temperature warning light. I'll also carry a few different thermostats with me,. Lower ones for the desert, higher ones for Scandinavia. I'll also carry a new head-gasket, just in case.
post #10 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 05:55 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
BTW: Alfas are strong and reliable cars. I've never had one of mine break down. The only issues I've had have been caused by previous bad maintenance or due to pushing the performance levels.

My Sud when it was only ported and pollished and rebuilt for racing was extremely reliable. Used to drive it to the track, hammer it hard all day long and never, ever missed a beat ... including surviving a few missed 4th to 5th gear changes where it ended up in 3rd instead I also used to drive it to work ... and I used to drive that car hard and fast everywhere I went because I was in my early 20's.

My GTV which I am still restoring was in pretty poor mechanical and body condition when I got it but I still drove it to work and back many times and went on a trip up to Whangerai from Auckland and again never missed a beat ... used a lot of oil, but no problems (except when I ran it out of petrol, but heck that was my fault!).

I also used to joy ride around in both lots ... and of course being in my early 20's these joy rides often involved seeing how fast we could go.

At least with a car of this age, you can often fix them on the side of a road without having to plug a computer in to them, etc.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #11 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

PSk

I absolutely agree. They are robust cars, and if they're looked after properly they are very reliable.

I bought my everyday driver 2000GTV last year for 1700, it had been sitting for ages and its wiring was fairly dodgy, but I've used it everyday and it's been it's been great.

The only issues I've had have been from the time it spend sitting (battery and brakes) and previous botched repairs (wiring)

I think often Alfas are only as good as the people who are looking after them.
post #12 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

I pulled the engine apart a few months ago. It appears that it blew a head-gasket and was left with water in the oil for years. So it was pretty rusty inside.

The head came off very easily.

The contents of the sump. Yum.

64 Sprint GT (
73 GTV 2000 (in the barn)
post #13 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 07:21 AM
rms

The sump as lot of oxidation.
Is it normal?
post #14 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

No, not at all. That engine had been sitting with water in it for more than a decade. Everything in it is very rusty, cams, crank, everything has to be replaced.

64 Sprint GT (
73 GTV 2000 (in the barn)
post #15 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 08:51 AM
rms

Code:
No, not at all. That engine had been sitting with water in it for more than a decade. Everything in it is very rusty, cams, crank, everything has to be replaced.
How are you going to remove the rust without damaging the cams, crack, etc?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode