Next year I will be driving from The Dargle Valley (South Africa) to The Dargle Valley (Republic of Ireland) in my 1964 Giulia Sprint GT, over Africa, Europe and The United Kingdom. You know, as one does.
The blog is at dargletodargle.com (there's nothing on it now, but hopefully in a week or so it will have come along). But I thought I'd document the build here, and perhaps get some advice along the way as well.
I bought this car early last year, from a friend who had planned to rebuild it as a GTA replica. He had lost interest in it, and I was eager to get hold of a Sprint GT (the original of the 105 GTs, I like that sort of thing) and this one is "matching numbers", well, as far as one can be (proper 00502 engine and cylinder head without the bolts on the front).
When I got the car it had been sitting as a shell, recently painted, with all its parts in boxes. It had been done over in AR501 Red, and had the GTA air holes cut into the front of it. It also had the holes for the Stepnose centre heart filled in.
This is how it arrived:
There was some slight damage to the front, which we corrected. Then I just had to choose a colour. This I found really difficult because I'm just not a fan of red cars, and I wanted something that wouldn't blend into modern traffic.
It eventually came to a choice between Bluette and Pino Verde. The latter, I discovered, was a 1967 colour, so too late for my car. So bluette it was. I also decided to leave the GTA holes in the front of the car because, well, the desert is fairly warm, I hear.
And that brings us roughly up to date. More to follow, with loads of photos.