Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Koni Yellows on the front and Reds on the rear?

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  joecautela 
#1 ·
Sorry for my ignorance, but I was wondering if I can put koni yellow’s in the front and koni red’s in the rear on a 1968 Gt 1300 Juinior. I have the reds already on the rear, but I don’t have any front shocks for it yet. I know they will fit (keeping in mind that I buy the right ones), but how will it drive?

Thank you in advance for your replies, comments, and opinions.

Luigi

#3 ·
Veep,

Ride quality is not an issue. I want the car to be firm. But the reason I’m asking this is because I have only seen one Alfa with yellows in the front and reds in the rear and it was a Milano. So I’m asking my self how well it would work on the GT. And the other reason I’m asking is because as a university student I don’t have much money to throw and since I have the reds already I was thinking that yellows in the front might work well.

Thanks for your response,

Luigi

#7 ·
I've been wrong before, but don't you guys have it backwards? Both red and yellow Konis are adjustable on rebound, but the range for the yellows is stiffer than the red. Maybe 60'sRacer was referring to the bump setting? I have seen lots of race cars running yellows on the front and reds on the rear. Whatever you do, I would not run any shock at full stiff on the rear! On my street GTV, I run reds all the way around with a "sport" spring set. The rears are set close to full soft, the fronts at about mid-way through the adjustment. The car handles very well on the street and track.

Erik

#8 ·
Depends on the springs. With a normal Koni you can only change rebound and I absolutly agree on the comments that a 105 a shock absorber should be set to full soft in the back and
if you opt for yellow they must at the front and the red ones at the back.

The spring rate of a 105 is relatively low, 150-180kg I presume, so I have set Koni's f/r at full soft for the Spider and even a Red Koni at full soft is a bit firmer compaired to std. shocks and
I haven't felt the need to experiment.
Unless you shorten the std. spring or buy some high quality sports springs I certainly would not
install a yellow Koni at the front.

#9 ·
Thanks to all for the replies,

My car has no swaybay in the rear, I will run stock springs for now untill I gather up all my cents and buy a set of good sport springs, and I already have some wider tires than stock, 14x6 (I think), so I think that I will get the yellows for the front set at soft and keep the reds in the rear set at soft or maybe med. What do you guys think?

Thank you once again,

Luigi

#10 ·
genericwood said:
I've been wrong before, but don't you guys have it backwards? Both red and yellow Konis are adjustable on rebound, but the range for the yellows is stiffer than the red. Maybe 60'sRacer was referring to the bump setting? .....Erik
I've been wrong on so many things just this morning that I claim no accuracy on the red/yellow choice at all. I was just recalling a discussion on another thread, and could have easily got THAT on wrong too!

Oh, well. At least here there is always someone to straighten things out. In fact, I think we get faster response when posting something wrong than right!

;)

Robert

#11 ·
joecautela said:
Luigi, I have a '67GT. I have reds in the front set med/firm and yellows in the back set firm. Sway bars front and rear. 22lbs air/fr , 26lbs air/rear. The yellows on firm are FIRM. Joe

At last someone who uses the similar tyre pressures to me!!!

#12 ·
Sorry to break into the thread, but I've just noticed where you're based, "Alfa". I lived in Bramley about 5-6 years ago while I was at Guildford law school, are you the same guy I sometimes used to see there? I had (and still have) a red Sprint GT and lived next door to the Bramley garage (you might have seen the owner's original Daytona spyder in the warehouse). If it is you, I still have the headlight surround which you very kindly gave me!

Alex.

#14 ·
Alex said:
Sorry to break into the thread, but I've just noticed where you're based, "Alfa". I lived in Bramley about 5-6 years ago while I was at Guildford law school, are you the same guy I sometimes used to see there? I had (and still have) a red Sprint GT and lived next door to the Bramley garage (you might have seen the owner's original Daytona spyder in the warehouse). If it is you, I still have the headlight surround which you very kindly gave me!

Alex.
Not me I am afraid, but quite right to ask, as there are so few Alfa Bertones in this area, mine is now Ochre (was red). We moved here 3 years ago.

best wishes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.