New MK1 1750 Restoration - Page 15 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 267 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
Boston, yes, press bushes into arms, arms will slide onto dog bones without need for press-type force.
Thanks! That is what I thought but always good to confirm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 267 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Suspension Reworked

I am steps away from re-installing the front and rear suspension.

The process was:

- Disassemble using lots of penetrating oil and various breaking tools.
- Push out old bushings
- wirebrush (My angle grinder makes short work of this)
- de-rust (used a product called evaporust)
- degrease (used purple power)
- paint (Eastwood Rust Encapsulator - two coats)
- Install new bushings, dust caps, replace sheared fasteners with grade 8)
- Reassemble

It is a job but extremely rewarding. It is taking all my will power to not remove the rear axle and clean it up but for now I am concentrating on getting roadworthy. Spring being the goal. I also want to clean the whole bottom of the car and spray new bedliner but that will also wait.

The Eastwood paint was a joy to use and produced a nice finish. It goes on very watery but flashes fast and can get a second coat in an hour. Powder coating felt like overkill and surely more $.

Running on several projects at once I replaced all my left side studs to match the right. The new studs don't fit as tightly and needed to be shortened as well. I hit the bolt shaft with a center punch several times to raise the surface but one still spun when I tried to put the wheel on. I'm considering tacking them from the back of the axle with the MIG welder. I think a small tack on the outside could be ground off or break free if it ever needs to be undone. Anyone else run into loose fitting lugs and developed a strategy?

68' Parisian Alfa GTV 1750
post #213 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 01:10 AM

one small tip I could not help notice.
You have Frap adjustable camber arms. Fine. Great.
The rubber bushes to the body in there are total but TOTAL junk. They are pressed, not bonded bushes.
They come apart after 200 miles. You just try to get them out then....
Please take my advice and replace these with a lower wishbone bush. Just a new lower bush, the metal ones, they fit one on one. Far better behaviour than the rubber ones and it will go along the cars lifetime.

The very early 105s had this as standard. Straight fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlinista View Post
one small tip I could not help notice.
You have Frap adjustable camber arms. Fine. Great.
The rubber bushes to the body in there are total but TOTAL junk. They are pressed, not bonded bushes.
They come apart after 200 miles. You just try to get them out then....
Please take my advice and replace these with a lower wishbone bush. Just a new lower bush, the metal ones, they fit one on one. Far better behaviour than the rubber ones and it will go along the cars lifetime.

The very early 105s had this as standard. Straight fit.
I will do this. Getting those arms installed is tricky on the passenger side given the carbs. I'd like a bullet proof system after all this effort.

So one pair of bushings should do both arms. I'll fetch those and re-hire the press to get them in. Thanks for the advice.

post #215 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 06:25 AM

Garage
Thats a beautiful project! I am kind of fixing my car too. Do you think it would be ok to visit you and go over a couple of things? That would be really awesome. PM me if thats ok with you.

Cant wait to see the final outcome
post #216 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

PM sent.

I was talking over the suspension with another enthusiast and am going to also swap out the castor arm bushing for poly. He said there is no added harshness and they remove a bunch of flex in the upper arms. I really trust his advice (confirms the inner arm bushing replacement) as his car is really setup well and he turns in impressive times at the AutoX against much more powerful cars. So new bushings for the upper arms all around.

post #217 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 07:27 AM

better yet is to mill a set of billet aluminium castor arm bushings. Will give sharp response under braking, less flex in body and thus sharper turn in. Piece of cake for any machine shop. Use an old one for a template. 22mm high.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #218 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 09:55 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Poly bushes are rubbish IMO ... they were designed for leaf springs and their principle is simply wrong. Suspension has to be able to move to work and of course with leaf springs the spring does most of the movement anyway.

I installed poly bushes on my Sud race car when I was a young and impressionable man, and the car went from being a good handling car to one that darted all over the place looking for the nearest bush to disappear into. Still wonder why I didn't remove them and reinstall the rubber ... I guess I was also stupid

But in the 105 series top arm caster link location there is no/minimal movement anyway so maybe you would get away with it. As Berlinista says you can run a solid alloy bush so even poly won't do anything wrong here.

Please though, don't think about using them in the rear trailing arms ... IMO of course.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Last edited by PSk; 12-02-2015 at 10:00 AM.
post #219 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post

Please though, don't think about using them in the rear trailing arms ... IMO of course.
Pete
I'm with you. I'm sure there are all sorts of opinions but its good advice and falls in line with others I have consulted who have learned through experience. A lot of people make $$ selling these upgrades to people who make assumptions about what is better and don't consider the overall suspension setup. The castor bush is the only place I would use these....perhaps the Tbar conical bushes but not in the trailing arms. There needs to be some give in the system.

While I will take this car to the AutoX and occasional track day its not a race car and I don't want a punishing ride on the poor Boston roads or additional stresses the car wasn't engineered to take.
post #220 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Frapechtomy

Ready for the upgrades.

post #221 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Wipers

While I am waiting for the bushings and a new rear diff I went on to the wipers. The frame got cleaned up and I acquired a new mechanism and motor from a UK supplier as mine was seized and the plastic around the bushings were missing. The motor also didn't run when I bench tested it but I put it aside to fix later. I suspect the cloth wires are grounding or broken or both.

When I compared the new unit to the old and matched the height of the arm posts I can't make it fit in the car. The frame is in the right place but the cowl will not clear the spindle bushing and nut. Its puzzling as the old one was the same but who knows...it may be from another car as I didn't disassemble these parts.

The only course I can see is to make a smaller bushing. The black spindle cap also has a recess on the back side for the nut which it can't reach unless I back the spindles down a bit more.. but then again the bushing and nut on top of it are larger in diameter than the opening in the cowl so it can't pass through!? Altogether its a puzzle.

What parts are placed on the spindle above the cowl? I have some large plastic washers, some black spindle caps and the lock nut. I also have the exploded diagram from the car disk but it doesn't show where the cowl comes into play.

Anyone have a good picture they can share?

post #222 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Poly bushes are rubbish IMO
One of the issue I've found here in SoCal is that some rubber bushings don't handle the relatively dry/warm climate well and tend to fall apart. To be extra clear that has been the case on the British cars I've owned, may not apply to Alfa suppliers but seems worth asking.

1966 Giulia Sprint $500 junk yard find. I probably overpaid...
1971 1750 Spider basket case , 1972 GTV 2.0 L
post #223 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 08:46 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdskip View Post
One of the issue I've found here in SoCal is that some rubber bushings don't handle the relatively dry/warm climate well and tend to fall apart. To be extra clear that has been the case on the British cars I've owned, may not apply to Alfa suppliers but seems worth asking.
That is interesting. How long are we talking about in regards to lasting?

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #224 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 10:46 AM

Hi Pete. In some cases only several years, highly disappointing. Again this may not be an issue with Alfa suppliers but worth poking at.
post #225 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

I rummaged through my parts and found these wiper washers. Anyone have an extra set of the plastic and stainless parts on the left and can anyone confirm they are for wipers and not something else like a door handle?

Last edited by BostonBertone; 12-10-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode