Road Trip w/67 GTV - Contacts wanted - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Road Trip w/67 GTV - Contacts wanted

Hi,
I'm planning a road trip in my newly acquired 67 GTV from San Francisco, up the coast through Northern Cali, Oregon, and on to the Olympic Peninsula. Will be my brother and myself and being new to Alfa's I wanted to know if there are any of you fellow BBers who are along the way and who wouldn't mind being on my contact list should we need some technical advice or simply some moral support. Not expecting problems but the car is 45 years old and may protest being driven so far from its home of at least 35 years.
Any advice on spares/tools that I should pack would be most appreciated.
Wish me luck!
Thanks
-W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:41 PM

There are lots of threads here on the AlfaBB (like this one:http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/seda...try-drive.html) regarding road trips and what spares/tools to bring. The obvious items are: Cell phone, fuses, fan belt, good spare tire, points (if you don't have elec ignition), thermostat, fuel pump (maybe), metric wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, duct tape, bailing wire, etc. Most parts are readily available at most Alfa parts suppliers and can be overnighted if necessary.

Also don't forget the "Registry of Alfa Mechanics" thread (including map) in the "Anything" forum.

I'm near Arcata, CA (5 hrs north of SF on the 101) and there's a good shop there (German Motors) if need be. Feel free to PM me if you want to stop by and say hello, have lunch, and/or check out my Alfas. I'd love to see your new step-nose!

Lots of good Alfa mechanics in OR. By the time you get to WA you'll be in Daron Walker (Akitaman) of Vintage Customs territory. As good as it gets.

Good luck!!! (You'll be fine )

Gone but not forgotten:
1970 GTV 1750 S2
1967 Giulia Super

Last edited by fangio8c; 08-15-2012 at 07:12 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

If you have a chance, or need help, Alfa of Tacoma is your best bet for help. It's also an interesting place to visit, as you will see quite a few Alfas and Ferraris being rebuilt or tuned up. Carlo and Lino are the best around. They have a great selection of parts for older Alfas. They are the only ones who have touched my daily driver Alfas since the mid 60's.

People also recommend Group 2 in Seattle.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I'll second the Group 2 recommendation in Seattle.

Depending on the route you choose, when you reach Olympia, you can stay on I-5 north for Seattle, or take 101 to the Olympic peninsula.

If you're having troubles when you get to Olympia, I-5 will take you first to Tacoma for Alfa of Tacoma, then further north to Seattle for Group 2. I think, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, Akitaman is even farther north now than Seattle.

I'm guessing good help on the Peninsula will be harder to find.

I'm out of town for the whole month of September, but other than that PM me for my number if you want. I could at least help with transportation or directions if you end up in the Seattle area.

Good luck. Sounds like a fun trip.

Nelson

2017 Giulia TI Alfa Rosso
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 12:28 PM

Garage
Portland Contact

I will PM my cell number to you for any help from Roseburg north to Chehalis Washington. Let me know which days you are traveling too.
good Luck

Neil

"Nominum quid geminus?"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

HI,
Thanks to all, great advice and nice to know you're not alone on the roads. My plans have solidified a bit and am now going to be leaving SF on Wednesday the 29th. Probably get an early start and take in as much of the coast as possible. Hope to get to WA on Saturday so we can't do too much sightseeing. I will take some pics along the way and keep you guys in the loop. It's a bit like doing the Peeble Beach Motoring Classic in reverse ( and on a shoestring).

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/au...pagewanted=all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode