1300/1600 brake upgrade question. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

1300/1600 brake upgrade question.

can someone confirm the following.

milano (alfa 75) brembo calipers will fit the uprights. remove the spacer and fit normal uprated 1300/1600 pads (ebc green stuff). normal nonvented 1300/1600 discs (rotors).

looking for a simlple brake upgrade whilst putting the car on a diet.

also, my car runs twin servos, is the removal of one recomended, if so, how do you go about this.

1989 Alfa 75 3.0V6 & 1971 Alfa Giulia GT1300 Junior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 PM

Hi,

Alfa 75 Brembo calipers do bolt straight up to early 105 uprights. You'll need to trim the splash guards as the Brembos are a little larger than the ATE calipers. The hard brake line on the caliper side of the flexible line will need to be modified because the inlet is in a different location to the ATE calipers.

If you take the 10mm spacer out of the Brembos, they should suit a stock 12mm thick 105 rotor, but you may need to fit a later model 105 (eg 2lt) rotor as I beleive the earlier rotors are a smaller diameter, and the Brembo pads may hang over the edge of the smaller rotors.

I'm not sure, but I think you'd probably need to use Alfa 75 pads instead of stock ATE pads in the Brembo calipers.

I fitted 22mm thick ventilated rotors (ie same thickness as Alfa 75 rotors) as part of my conversion to Brembo calipers, so I left the spacers in place. There are a couple of sources for these custom rotors here in Oz, but there may be suppliers in the UK who stock these as well.

One other consideration... you may need to fit shims between the caliper and the upright mounting holes to get the Brembo pads/pistons properly centred either side of the rotor.

There's not much I can tell you about the servos because I've swapped out the stock single circuit system on my GT1300 Junior for an Alfetta hanging pedal box and torsion rod assembly (see below photo). This gives me a readily available twin circuit master cylinder, with servo boosting, on the exhaust side of the engine bay.

Regards,

Nick
Attached Images

Now: 1968 Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior - Restoration Completed 2016
Previously: 1974 Alfasud TI - first car

Last edited by njh1964; 02-04-2012 at 10:13 PM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Platinum Subscriber

My 71 Super track car has Milano (75) front calipers, as described above. Splash guards are removed and there are washers on mounting bolts and I think on the steering arm bolts to get everything centered and happy. Works great. Stock MC, stock rear brakes.
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njh1964 View Post
Hi,

Alfa 75 Brembo calipers do bolt straight up to early 105 uprights. You'll need to trim the splash guards as the Brembos are a little larger than the ATE calipers. The hard brake line on the caliper side of the flexible line will need to be modified because the inlet is in a different location to the ATE calipers.

If you take the 10mm spacer out of the Brembos, they should suit a stock 12mm thick 105 rotor, but you may need to fit a later model 105 (eg 2lt) rotor as I beleive the earlier rotors are a smaller diameter, and the Brembo pads may hang over the edge of the smaller rotors.

I'm not sure, but I think you'd probably need to use Alfa 75 pads instead of stock ATE pads in the Brembo calipers.

I fitted 22mm thick ventilated rotors (ie same thickness as Alfa 75 rotors) as part of my conversion to Brembo calipers, so I left the spacers in place. There are a couple of sources for these custom rotors here in Oz, but there may be suppliers in the UK who stock these as well.

One other consideration... you may need to fit shims between the caliper and the upright mounting holes to get the Brembo pads/pistons properly centred either side of the rotor.

There's not much I can tell you about the servos because I've swapped out the stock single circuit system on my GT1300 Junior for an Alfetta hanging pedal box and torsion rod assembly (see below photo). This gives me a readily available twin circuit master cylinder, with servo boosting, on the exhaust side of the engine bay.

Regards,

Nick
Any idea if those disks were 75 front disks drilled to suit 4x98 pcd?

i cavalli mai abbastanza, ed il peso sempre troppo...
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 09:39 AM

Jamie,

Nick is right - it's not a straight bolt-on job, you need to trim the dust shields, shim the calipers (a washer usually suffices) remove the spacer (possibly change the seals) & fit 2-litre discs. Normal 105 pads fit but on 2 out of the 4 you need to cut a couple of corners off each pad. In my opinion the only benefit is less unsprung weight (as the Brembo ones are ali). Simplest upgrade is a set of Ferodo DS2500 pads. The 4-pot/ vented disc package is awesome though!

Ian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 04:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to tom.lagos
Just did this upgrade. This site is awesome. I attached photo's for reference.
Attached Images

67 Duetto, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Graduate, 93 Spider Veloce
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 08:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianellisalfa View Post
Jamie,

The 4-pot/ vented disc package is awesome though!
Which package or retrofit (166) etc are you referring too?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
Which package or retrofit (166) etc are you referring too?
Alfaholics kit at a guess.

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - pretty much finished!
Bunch of bikes too.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 10:17 PM

Garage
Cheers, there are several packages available though, so I was interested in which one Ian had experience off and his opinion/comments

Quite a few people round with the AH ones who love them. Actually while we're talking about them, do you know if the four pot pass roadworthy in QLD, given the brackets required to mount do not appear to be engineer certified ?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 05:30 PM

Check this out, from post #15 on:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/seda...-uprights.html

Be sure to confirm your caliper mounting bolt center-to-center measurements, as there are four (4) possible combinations of bolt measurements and spindle heights.

The early Dunlop-equipped cars used 3.5" bolt centers; the GTV6/Milano Brembos need a 3" center.

Chuck

'65 Giulia Sprint GT; '76 Alfetta GTV; '71 Fiat 124 Spider (x2, 1438 & 1608); '76 XJ12L; '39 J3 Cub; '46 Aeronca Chief; '63 Mooney M20C
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
Cheers, there are several packages available though, so I was interested in which one Ian had experience off and his opinion/comments

Quite a few people round with the AH ones who love them. Actually while we're talking about them, do you know if the four pot pass roadworthy in QLD, given the brackets required to mount do not appear to be engineer certified ?
I've used both the AH & CA 4-pot kits, they're both very good indeed!

Ian

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 12:48 AM

Garage
Thanks for the PM Ian.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 02:26 PM

Garage
I want to fit Milano/75er Brembos to my Junior and use them with the normal non-vented rotors, thus I removed the spacers from the callipers. Now I want to reassemble them but I've never found anything about the bolts holding together the callipers. Does somebody know whether I can reuse the same bolts or if I rather should organise new ones that are ~10mm shorter? I tend to do latter.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:48 PM

Cut them to size
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 01:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrifolio View Post
Cut them to size
I would be afraid cutting those and thus killing the zinc protection - calling for seizing doesnt it? We had a hard time getting the original bolts out because they were heavily corroded.

Learning, learning..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode