1300/1600 brake upgrade question. - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 02:04 AM

I did it in my conversion, no problems 7 years later, those bolts are special and I prefer to cut them to size and reuse them than using an inappropiated bolt for the aplication, caliper gets hot when braking so I prefered to reuse them

Last edited by quadrifolio; 04-05-2018 at 02:04 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 02:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrifolio View Post
I did it in my conversion, no problems 7 years later, those bolts are special and I prefer to cut them to size and reuse them than using an inappropiated bolt for the aplication, caliper gets hot when braking so I prefered to reuse them
Arent they just regular zinc coated Class 10.9 bolts? I don't think there is something such as special steel that mimics the characteristics of alu (with heat) and is hard at the same time.

Learning, learning..
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 12:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandroM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrifolio View Post
Cut them to size
I would be afraid cutting those and thus killing the zinc protection - calling for seizing doesnt it? We had a hard time getting the original bolts out because they were heavily corroded.
Just for this corrosion issue, I bought titanim screws with the right length. Aluminium and titanium does not have galvanized corrosions.

Also, it weighs less 🙂

//Mattias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 07:55 AM

Garage
Was it not a common upgrade for 1300/1600 GT/GTV/GT Jr to install bigger brakes from 1750/2000 GTVs? If so what is actually bigger? Front caliper pistons, pads, rotors, and or rear caliper pistons, pads or rotors ????

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 08:03 AM
Platinum Subscriber

My two cents. I vintage-raced a 71 Super with a mid-level-prep race 1600; I never felt the need to upgrade from stock brakes. I never used them up, but maybe I wasn't driving hard enough!
When I got the car it had Milano front calipers on stock disks, wasn't noticeably worse going back to stock as required by CSRG.
Andrew
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad fischer View Post
Was it not a common upgrade for 1300/1600 GT/GTV/GT Jr to install bigger brakes from 1750/2000 GTVs? If so what is actually bigger? Front caliper pistons, pads, rotors, and or rear caliper pistons, pads or rotors ????
Brad, while I am no expert on this subject and few other subjects for that matter here is my IMHO and all is subject to correction by real experts.

I think every thing up to the 1969 1750 GTV's have small front Ate brake calipers Except the Dunloped cars. This meant an upright with a 3" caliper mounting bolt spacing for the smaller caliper. The 1750's (although I thought I had come across a 69 GTV with small ATEs) and 2 ltrs had bigger front calipers and the upright had 3.5" mounting bolt spacing. Bigger caliper bigger pads. Not sure on the rotors size. The Interchange book shows the same pistons for both large and small ATEs. I think the rears were the same on all but the interchange book says different. And BTW there were other variations in the uprights with respect to the height.

As the interchange book is a consolidation there may be variation from the original parts books I suppose.

The lesser models after 1969, that is the 1300's and 1600's, continued with the Small ATEs. My 1975 build 1600 GTj has them and Andrew noted them on his 1971 Super.

So FWIW

Ken
Attached Images

Last edited by kengta; 04-09-2018 at 11:08 AM.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 10:57 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Yes. The Late Juniors and Supers have "small" ATEs but are not identical to earlier pre-1750 1600 ATEs. I forget the specific issue, I think the disks/hubs were different front earlier, even though the calipers are the same?
Andrew
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 05:35 PM

Garage
Thanks Ken. That is how I thought is was with brakes. I got confused when Larry with the 66 GTV was telling me about the problems he was having getting pistons for his rear ATE brakes. Seems to me that the piston dia was hard to get?

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 09:08 PM

In mid to late 1967 the front Dunlop's were changed to ATE's.
But there is a catch.
They kept the front Dunlop upright and just modified the adaptor,
so now you have a Dunlop upright plus a Dunlop adaptor for a Dunlop front caliper or
A Dunlop upright with an ATE adapter for an ATE caliper.
You can see the pictures of the different adapters in the parts book.
It could be the 1966 car was later upgraded to a 67 ATE (adapter and caliper only), as opposed to using the GTJ 1300 ATE system which was the 1968 upgrade where they incorporated the upright with out an adapter.
I am not sure about rear ATE's, I thought all the 1967 GT Veloces remained with rear Dunlops whilst with Dunlop or ATE front calipers.

Last edited by Steve105; 04-09-2018 at 09:10 PM.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve105 View Post
In mid to late 1967 the front Dunlop's were changed to ATE's.
But there is a catch.
They kept the front Dunlop upright and just modified the adaptor,
so now you have a Dunlop upright plus a Dunlop adaptor for a Dunlop front caliper or
A Dunlop upright with an ATE adapter for an ATE caliper.
You can see the pictures of the different adapters in the parts book.
It could be the 1966 car was later upgraded to a 67 ATE (adapter and caliper only), as opposed to using the GTJ 1300 ATE system which was the 1968 upgrade where they incorporated the upright with out an adapter.
I am not sure about rear ATE's, I thought all the 1967 GT Veloces remained with rear Dunlops whilst with Dunlop or ATE front calipers.
There's a variant of the rear ATE caliper that is a smaller piston size (32mm?) that appears to have been used with ATE front brakes, but without the proportioning valve that the later cars got - this may have been part of the 1967 changeover period...

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - pretty much finished!
Bunch of bikes too.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 05:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jema View Post
Just for this corrosion issue, I bought titanim screws with the right length. Aluminium and titanium does not have galvanized corrosions.

Also, it weighs less 🙂
Titanium sounds great but I'm afraid that would cost me as much as I paid for the callipers initially :-D Maybe as an upgrade once everything works as expected!

Does anyone know the part number for the Milano Brembo Brakes Refurbish set from Ate (which contains the seals etc.)?
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 06:01 AM
Gold Subscriber

The "Brembos" are some 6 lbs lighter than the "bigger" brakes from the 2 L.
Then going from steel wheels to Alloy (TZ style) drops 3 lbs.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode